SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2005, 12:12 AM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Hyperion EOS 5i charger any good?

http://www.allerc.com/eos5i.htm

seemed to be a good price for a charger than can do most batteries, anyone hear any good/bad about it?
czechyour6 is offline Find More Posts by czechyour6
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2005, 03:09 AM
Holbaek, Denmark
Joined May 2000
161 Posts
Nearly the same charger as Swallow Advance, X-Peak 3 Plus and Multiplex 5014. All of them very good to the price.
Stig C is offline Find More Posts by Stig C
Old Dec 10, 2005, 03:58 AM
Joined Aug 2005
263 Posts
Yes, it's made in Korea right?
I have seen that beast re-badged under a few names.

I just wish I could find the manufacturer, it never appears at trade shows in Japan or China.. If anyone owns one and still has the packaging or a serial number, please let me know. Im keen to OEM them if possible.
world_hobby is offline Find More Posts by world_hobby
Old Dec 10, 2005, 08:51 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,588 Posts
Best I can tell, it's a follow-on to the Triton, made by the same outfit.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Mar 16, 2006, 08:11 PM
WetPants
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
69 Posts
If anyones still interested. I got one and it dedinitely doesnt charge my Lipos to the full 4.22v like my old cheapo charger. It only takes my cells to about 4.16v each
So what ?
Well I can tell I just dont get the same performance or flight time out of any of my Lipo airplanes.

I do not reccomend it at all. In fact I really have to buy a new one. Maybe an Astro 109 ?
WetPants is offline Find More Posts by WetPants
Old Mar 16, 2006, 08:21 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetPants
If anyones still interested. I got one and it dedinitely doesnt charge my Lipos to the full 4.22v like my old cheapo charger. It only takes my cells to about 4.16v each
So what ?
Well I can tell I just dont get the same performance or flight time out of any of my Lipo airplanes.

I do not reccomend it at all. In fact I really have to buy a new one. Maybe an Astro 109 ?
4.16 per cell is my standard charge to voltage. It is approx. 96% of full capacity. There are many of us who believe that charging past this point just accelerates the demise of LIPolys.THe different between 4.22 and 4.16 per cell is perhaps 20 seconds at WOT on most set ups if even that.

On the other hand they are your LiPolys and if you need that extra little bit go for it. I would make improvement elsewhere myself.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 16, 2006, 08:25 PM
Chandler
Joined Mar 2006
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Blakeslee
Best I can tell, it's a follow-on to the Triton, made by the same outfit.

- RD
I don' know if this statement is true? Its safer to say the Duratrax ICE is the follow on to the Triton. The Eos5i has a 10% rule to it, its a saftey feature so you don't puff the pack, The charger stops @ 10% below 100% so to completely top off the pack repeak @ .3 amps this will bring it to within 30milliamps of 100%. The manufacture put this feature in there to help with longevity of the battery. But I still recommend charging at 1c 2100=2.1 amps. this feature allows you to push the pack if need be!!!
J.W.S.4 is offline Find More Posts by J.W.S.4
Last edited by J.W.S.4; Mar 16, 2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:07 PM
Lou
Well, that should buff out.
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechyour6
http://www.allerc.com/eos5i.htm

seemed to be a good price for a charger than can do most batteries, anyone hear any good/bad about it?
I have its big brother, the 7i with the LBA6 balancer. Very happy with both, if the money is there for it, the 7i and LBA6 is likely the way to go.

I got mine and other goodies from Allerc.com, you won't have any trouble with them at all, very reputable dealer.

louie
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2006, 07:11 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
These chargers are made by SJ propo, they also make the balancer.
It is my fav small charger. THe hyperion version has different software to the rest, has to do wih lipo mode and the way the screen displays data.

I say you cant go wrong with it. Unfortunatly the Hyperion one is priced 20% higher than the swallow advance down here so i stick with the swallows.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:21 PM
Chandler
Joined Mar 2006
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozace
These chargers are made by SJ propo, they also make the balancer.
It is my fav small charger. THe hyperion version has different software to the rest, has to do wih lipo mode and the way the screen displays data.

I say you cant go wrong with it. Unfortunatly the Hyperion one is priced 20% higher than the swallow advance down here so i stick with the swallows.
Ozace,
Is SJ propo relaited to KO propo who is OEM for JR propo?
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:29 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
http://www.sjproporc.com/
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:42 PM
WetPants
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
4.16 per cell is my standard charge to voltage. It is approx. 96% of full capacity. There are many of us who believe that charging past this point just accelerates the demise of LIPolys.THe different between 4.22 and 4.16 per cell is perhaps 20 seconds at WOT on most set ups if even that.

On the other hand they are your LiPolys and if you need that extra little bit go for it. I would make improvement elsewhere myself.

Charles
Well I would have agreed with you. I dont want to push the cells and lose lifetime, Im not flying competitively.
But the effect of going to the EOS5i from Kokam 402 is absolutely tangible in both available power and duration. At first I thought my cells were getting tired. But all sets of differnet sized Lipos in differnet planes at the same time as switching to the EOS5i ? I dont think so. The charger definitely underperforms IMHO.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:45 PM
Chandler
Joined Mar 2006
884 Posts
Mine works just superbly!
Last edited by J.W.S.4; Mar 19, 2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2006
21 Posts
I have the EOS5i and it charges my 3S pack cells to 4.2V and puts in all the capacity that was used. Not sure what the previous posts are talking about as far as underperforming. Even if the pack was only 90% charged, it wouldn't seem "tired", you would just get less capacity out of it; like starting a flight after static running for a minute.

Regards.
joeycc is offline Find More Posts by joeycc
Old Mar 19, 2006, 04:46 PM
WetPants
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
69 Posts
I agree with you.
I dont understand it either. Unfortunately I cant go back and try with my old kokam 402 because its dead.

But you cant have 4 different packs all go off the boil at the same time just coincidently with a new charger can you ?

The airplanes just dont have the vertical performance that they did have, need more throttle to fly nice and I get less duration because of it. I mean its really noticeable.
I dont know what I was putting into them with the kokam 402 because its got no display but I had it for over two years with no Lipo problems at all. Change to EOS5i and my Lipos all seem dull and lifeless.
Draw your own conclusions.
I going to get something new. I need something that will handle 6s Lipo anyway.