HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2005, 05:29 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,529 Posts
To get a thicker tip using the pivot method, do the bottom cut first then when you do the top cut space the wire higher at the pivot buy 1/4".
Glenn
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2005, 09:30 AM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,340 Posts
Thanks to everyone's suggestions, I'm just about there. I hope to cut some good ones today.

The key points were:

1. Lower the wire temp. I was cutting at 5 1/2 on my power supply dial. I find it can still make the cut at a setting of 4 1/2.

2. Make the blank wider. With the blank 1/2" wider, I can trim off the part with holes and get a nice clean TE.

3. Make the tip template slightly larger. I went to 12% thickness vs. 10%.

4. Keep the wire very clean. A fair amount of "slag" remains on it after each cut, and I have been scraping it off with an old #11 blade.

5. Get the geometry of the cutter right and use the gravity drop arm. I was having trouble with this and had switched to pulling by hand, but I would always get waves in the cut. The gravity arm makes a wave-free cut. (This is the part I still have to completely work out.)

Thanks everyone!

Bill
BillO is online now Find More Posts by BillO