RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2005, 09:59 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Thanks, I will be sure to post video of the maiden... I always do. Speakin of videos, I need to get out the Sponge Bob plane again too...
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Dec 08, 2005, 02:24 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
That is definitely different.. Can't wait to see it fly!
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 08, 2005, 05:08 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
The longer the tail or the larger the tail the further aft the CG must be for stability.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Dec 08, 2005, 06:34 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,652 Posts
I think it is less of a cliche to say that a horizontal can be too large and the plane still be stable. Stability probably wont happen the other way. Dont neglect your rudder volume, either. With twin verticals your area is doubled, so what looks small is probably o.k. cus it is x2. The only drawback to twin verticals is the interference drag is more than if you had conventional or V. Proportionally what you have looks very FreeFlightish which were notorious for the CG rearward.
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Dec 08, 2005, 07:59 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. I learn so much from all of you guys experience and advice.

Its fun just makin up planes and seeing how they will react to things. Rewarding too when they end up flyin really well. The last one I made, The Kamikaze, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445848
Flew really well. Its now one of my favorite planes to fly.

Most of my ideas are just guesses. For example, I never really know exactly where the CG should be. I just put it about 20%-30% or the chord and see how it acts then go from there. I have no idea what you guys are talking about when you write about this airfoil and that one by names and numbers. And power systems... oh boy, theres another one that drives me nuts. I just stick a motor/batt/prop that I have that I think "should" be ok on there and go for it.

Being blind to some of this stuff sometimes makes my building planes more interresting. Some times its a big pain in the tail because I have to ask for advice.

Anyway, once again, thanks for the input guys!

Laine
Old Dec 08, 2005, 11:34 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroStorch
I think it is less of a cliche to say that a horizontal can be too large and the plane still be stable. Stability probably wont happen the other way. Dont neglect your rudder volume, either. With twin verticals your area is doubled, so what looks small is probably o.k. cus it is x2. The only drawback to twin verticals is the interference drag is more than if you had conventional or V. Proportionally what you have looks very FreeFlightish which were notorious for the CG rearward.
Planes can be made stable all the way from canards, through flying wings, to long talied conventional layouts, with the CG ranging from well ahead of the wing to well behind it.

What counts is the movement of overall center of lift, with increased airspeed. It MUST move forward. So that the plane tends to pull out of a dive, and sag out of a stall.

WHERE the CG is, is at the same place as this center of lift, in normal flight.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Dec 08, 2005, 01:32 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Planes can be made stable all the way from canards, through flying wings, to long talied conventional layouts, with the CG ranging from well ahead of the wing to well behind it.

What counts is the movement of overall center of lift, with increased airspeed. It MUST move forward. So that the plane tends to pull out of a dive, and sag out of a stall.

WHERE the CG is, is at the same place as this center of lift, in normal flight.
Im lost. lol
Old Dec 08, 2005, 02:28 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
I personally like a long tail with huge control surfaces, it allows me to spin on a dime in an emergency.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Dec 08, 2005, 05:22 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Well, here are the pictures of the new one being held by Carson and Leslie. It is finished except for battery mounting and props. Props and adapters should be here Monday or so. Maiden video after they arrive.

Dont have a name for it yet though...
Old Dec 08, 2005, 08:25 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,652 Posts
Go Army!

Fly Army!
HELModels is offline Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Dec 08, 2005, 09:08 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroStorch
Go Army!

Fly Army!

Huaaah!
Old Dec 08, 2005, 11:20 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
I had it sitting on the table, I kept looking at it, and it was buggin me. Finally I figured out why, it needed landing gear. Soooo, now it has gear. Looks better too.

Still needs a name though.