Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrogg
Tail is tail
Sorry Mopar i had too...
And whenever I have a set flyn time it rains or the winds are over 1000mph (thats 11mph to us stick pilots)

lol, yeah, sometimes youre right though!

But wouldnt it be 88mph for an 8 motored slow stick?
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2005, 08:22 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsup_kz
If they are 6v motors, and you are running them on 2 cell lipo or 6 to 7 cell nimh, a 6X3 prop works well. That's how my Terry is set up. 1 motor and 16oz AUW.

Brian
Im pretty sure they are 6v motors.
I have some 8 cell GP1100s I may try for the maiden. I dont have any 2s lipos though, have a few big 3s packs.
Old Dec 06, 2005, 08:24 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
A 6X3 on 8 cells will probably work. Just give it plenty of ventilation. Mine got too hot to touch enclosed in the Terry nose.
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Dec 06, 2005, 08:25 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
Ok, while Im at it, I have 2 direct drive speed 400 motors that came with a couple Great Planes Slingers i used to have. First off, can I run them as "tractors" or do they have to be run as "pushers"? If they can be run as tractors, any one care to help me guess what props to run? I dont think I have any props except some 5x5 pushers, and I dont think those will work.
Sure they can, you'll find more Speed 400 pylons racers all around than you'll find wings.

The prop that you put in front is the same you use as a pusher. The Gunther 4.9x4.3 (very similar to that of the Slinger) works well with a 6v sp400 and 8 cells. Another good choice, even better I would say is the APC 4.75x4.75, but you'll break it more often on belly landers. The only thing you have to do to use the Slinger motor as a tractor is reverse wire polarity on the motor. Timing is not an issue here since the Slinger motor is timed neutral.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old Dec 06, 2005, 08:27 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,629 Posts
Tractor vs. Pusher? From what I understand, brushed motors have a way to setup the timing and on the sealed can types, that is set at the motor factory, i.e., a motor intended as a pusher will run more efficiently as a pusher. It will run as tractor and maybe you'll never see a deficiency. Another thing to consider is the wear on the brushes. If it ran long enough to show, then the brushes might not like running(skipping and arcing) in the opposite direction. You'll probably not see any problem there, either. If you do see differences in motor performance, then those might be the reasons.

I'd say build it and go from there. If it isnt what you want, tweak it.

Harry
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Dec 06, 2005, 08:31 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,629 Posts
hmmmm, that is why the keyboard acted funny.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Dec 06, 2005, 08:54 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
So, I can use 2 5x5 props from my Zagi or my Slingers on this thing? I havent looked at the props for awhile, I just figured they could only be used in a pusher configuration.

Anyone have any idea on Amps this will pull and all that technical stuff? Am I going to burn anything up using one 25amp speed control to run both motors, or do I need to use 2 of them or one bigger controller?

Thanks for all you guys help on this so far, I may just get it in the air in the morning after all.

Laine
Old Dec 07, 2005, 06:49 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Well, got quite a bit done. Just need to figure out how to stiffen up my ailerons a bit. I posted over in foamies about it to try to get some more ideas. Hope to get this thing done today.

Laine
Old Dec 07, 2005, 02:40 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
You can glue a strip of like 1/4 tri-stock on the front of the ailerons..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Dec 07, 2005, 03:09 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Roger that, good idea! I will pick some up next time I get the chance. But, since I was told taped up was strong enough, thats what I did for this time. I m getting closer, I post some pics in a little while.

Laine
Old Dec 07, 2005, 04:28 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsup_kz
The tail length greatly affects the CG as well.
Are you sure about that? I mean, unless it has no tail, wouldn't the CofG be the same place on the chord?
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Dec 07, 2005, 05:32 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Are you sure about that? I mean, unless it has no tail, wouldn't the CofG be the same place on the chord?

I think he means that I will need to adjust my weight distribution to get the CG right with a different length tail.

Anyway, here is the specs, 6.5' span, 6.5" chord, ailerons are 2.5" x 32", 29" from leading edge of wing to trailing edge of tail, elevator is 24" x 3". Weighs in right now with all electronics but no battery at 24oz.

Power is 2 DD speed 400s with 5x5 props, 30a speed control.

Wonder how well it will fly? Underpowered? fast? Slow? Annoying? Who knows!!

Too bad I have to wait for my prop adapters and new props to get here before I can maiden it.
Old Dec 07, 2005, 08:03 PM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
looks good
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Dec 07, 2005, 08:18 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,082 Posts
To my eyes - that is about %300 the tail area that you need - but that is just from my TLAR files. If you can get it to balance - go for it. One thing to remember is that the longer the tail, the more effective the rudder and the shorter the tail, the less effective. The longer arm that you have to push with, the more force you can put out with the same area. i.e. - long tails have smaller area, and shorter tails need more. IIRC, you want 17-21% of your wing area for stab area - again, from memory so most likely wrong.

Fly it - tell us about it. Have fun
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Dec 07, 2005, 08:30 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,837 Posts
Yeah, I know the tail is bigger than it probably needs to be. But, I also figured that since the over-all length of the plane was so short, a nice big elevator would give it pretty good control authority. The ailerons are bigger than they probably need to be also, just so I can see what happens. The best part of it, is, I have about $8.00 in the entire airframe (excluding electronics). So, for a few hours playin with foam, maybe I will have a plane that is a little "different". Im just wondering if it will have enough oooomph.

Laine

Oh, right now, with no battery in it, the CG is just about center of the wing. So if I position the battery in the front of the wing, I should get it to balance just about right.