HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2005, 12:24 PM
United Kingdom, Leighton Buzzard
Joined Sep 2004
548 Posts
Rave
Help Me Design My Plane

Hi Guys,

I hope to start building a new plane, it will be the second plane that I have built, but the first that will be my design (and maybe a bit of your design).

What I Have Avalable To Build It From:
Five 800X250X6mm gray depron sheets
Upto five 5g micro servos
GWS 4ch RX
Diy brushless CD-ROM motor produceing ~8oz thrust
1000X6mm carbon fibre tube (for fuse)
Various fixings, glues, and tapes ect.....
Castle creations thunderbird 9 ESC
Thunder power 730mAh Li-Po

What I Would Like From It:
I don't want it to have a flat plate wing
Longish flight time
700-800mm wingspan
The ability to do slight aerobatics (loops and roll, not much more)
The ability to fly quite slow but still able to go quite fast when I want it to
Ailerons, Rudder, and Elevator
To weigh under 6oz (sounds hard but I have a plane at the moment with a brush IPS motor that weighs under 5oz and will fly for ~30mins with my 730mAh Li-Po)
And finaly it needs a cool name

So, can any of you think of a suitable plane that can do that, and use my equipment, or is there a plan already out there that you could link me to?

Thanks A Lot Matt
littleport2003 is offline Find More Posts by littleport2003
Last edited by littleport2003; Dec 06, 2005 at 12:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2005, 02:12 PM
Joined Sep 2004
548 Posts
Does no one want to help me?
Old Dec 06, 2005, 02:52 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
Patience

Whoa! Hold on there! I'll help you, I'm just not sure if I really can. Maybe you can scale down a plane like this:

http://www.qnet.com/~skif/plane.html

foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Dec 06, 2005, 10:17 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Oct 2004
731 Posts
Littleport,

Congrats on your desire to start building your own stuff. I did very much the same thing--the third plane I built (and the second that actually flew) was my own design, and it's all I've done after that. Did they all do OK? Yeah. Are they the best flying designs around? Not by a long shot--but that's part of the fun. You fly, you modify, you improve, and you learn a lot along the way.

You're doing the right thing by setting out some design criteria. I'm not sure that all can be met at the same time (fly really fast but stay up a long time), but you've got an idea of what you want the beast to do, so form can follow function. If you don't know what you want it to do, any design will work.

Let me encourage you to troll the Modelling Science forum. There are a lot of experienced people there with a lot of good ideas. I've learned a load there.

Bravo on your wanting a real airfoil! Flat plates drive me crazy. A lot of man-hours have gone into airfoil design--you may as well take advantage. If you don't want to spend a lot of time inverted, you can for with a semi-symmetric airfoil. Even the good ol' modified Clark Y would be fine. Aileron setups want only a few degrees dihedral, or none at all, depending on how you feel about your skills and how much/little stability you want to put into your design.

I've been pretty happy with a wing aspect ratio (span/chord) of about 5. Rolls OK, but also glides alright. You probably want a constant chord for your first design--easier to build and less sensitive to falling off to one side in the air.

The biggest suggestion I have is to look over magazines and suppliers' Web sites. See what other folks have done. There's a saying in the aero community: "If it looks right, it flies right." There's a reason that most airplanes look like...well, like airplanes. There's a lot of collective wisdom in what has been done before--despite the fact that some really goofy designs have made it into the air and back again.

Most of all, have fun!
Lon Enloe is offline Find More Posts by Lon Enloe
Old Dec 07, 2005, 05:56 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
There's also a lot of info on building your own models from foam in the Foamies forum (imagine that! ) - the search function is your friend (hint - try "depron" - I got 242 hits, lots of useful threads)..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Dec 07, 2005, 10:02 AM
Joined Sep 2004
548 Posts
Thanks for your help, I have already started to build the plane, it's the wing that I'm stuck on, doesn't need any dihedral, the first plane that I learned to fly on hade none so I should be ok

Thanks Matt
Old Dec 07, 2005, 11:16 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Mabye something like this or a variation of it would work for you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363570
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Dec 07, 2005, 05:04 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleport2003
And finaly it needs a cool name
Berserker-3000

Now just design a plane to fit the name and you're all set.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Dec 07, 2005, 09:30 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
This site is helpful.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/hobby/pmdesign.htm
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21