HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which would you prefer to attend?
An open flying event 8 26.67%
An event with competions and open flying 22 73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 06, 2005, 12:02 PM
Kickin It Ol'Skool
Kansas City area
Joined Nov 2001
2,733 Posts
Discussion
How would YOU set up a 2 day indoor event?

I posted this poll out of curosity. I would like to know what would be more popular, an indoor event that's all open flying, with provisions made for seperation of incompatible types, or an event with a variety of contests, such as a 3D competion, pylon race, scale compition, etc, with open flying between contests.

So place your vote, my inquiring mind wants to know....

Len
lensrc is offline Find More Posts by lensrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2005, 04:06 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Leonard, there are two indoor events that I've attended that really stuck out in my mind.

The first was the 2004 Little Rock SMALL Indoor event- This event was in a small gymnasium and had pretty strong attendance for the size of the venue (read fairly crowded). The CD of the event did an exceptional job keeping the skies friendly by making times for the two 'incompatible types' to fly. I think he made a demarcation of above/below 2ozs. That worked well for the event, because most of the slow-fly birds were under 2ozs, and the aerobatic/3D birds were above 2 ozs (except mine : ). The CD gave each group a 15 minute slot. At the end of each 15 min slot, he called everyone down, and let the other group go up. This worked great as most of the slowflyers did not want/need more than 15 mins, and most of the aerobatic/3D flyers could not keep them in the air longer than 15 mins LOL. During the 4-5 hour event, everyone got plenty of stick time and enjoyed themselves.

The second event I am thinking of was the 2005 Memphis Pyramid Indoor- This event was almost purely an aerobatic/3D event (though I flew a few of my slowflyers out there too). The event was primarily open flying, but included a 3D freestyle contest. The thing that made the contest great was the emphasis the CD put on the fact that he wanted the contest to move along quickly and smoothly so as to not take away from the open flying (as much as possible). The contest ran quickly, seemed to entertain the audience and then we went back to open flying....
matchlessaero is offline Find More Posts by matchlessaero
Old Dec 07, 2005, 04:29 PM
Kickin It Ol'Skool
Kansas City area
Joined Nov 2001
2,733 Posts
With the venue we have for our MIFF, space won't be a problem. Room enough for two flight area's. We will, of course, have similar airtime segregating, but that will be supplemented with the secondary fight area. Depending on attendance, we may even be able to set aside a small third area for micro stuff that does not need a lot of space.

I attended the SMALL indoor a couple years ago, and all I can say is it was HOT in that place! I left after an hour or so. Other than that, I had a great time at SMALL. I hope to go again.

Len
lensrc is offline Find More Posts by lensrc