Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 05, 2001, 10:09 PM
Fayetteville, GA
Joined Oct 2000
3,663 Posts
Lil Hornet extra parts to build a second plane?

This post will probably only make sense to those that have put together a Lil Hornet.

I think the foam cores used to to pack the plane could be used to make a second plane???? The top and bottom peices could be glued together to make a nice little semetrical wing. If you just use the plans to use a similar fuse and tail specs...with say a geared 280???

Has anyone done this?

Regards,

Jeff
http://home.earthlink.net/~jsmeyers/index.html

Jeff Meyers is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Meyers
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2001, 09:14 AM
TEAM LEWIS
Dallas, Texas
Joined Mar 2001
321 Posts
I thought about that too.

I still have the foam packing material in the box in a closet. Just waiting for the inspiration too start.

I think I will also build based on the plans, 3/32" balsa tail feathers etc....

Please post if you start on yours.

Also, Are you using the MG-1 or one of the TR-389/M100's.

Harvey.
harvey is offline Find More Posts by harvey
Old Aug 06, 2001, 09:53 AM
Trinidad
Joined Sep 2000
99 Posts
Yep, I too thought about using those packing parts for wings. They would make 'solid' wings, so the weight might be of some concern as this plane needs to be light to fly well on the stock motor.

Being solid should also make the wings more durable - but then you don't intend to crash.

Please keep us posted if you do make the second plane.

Biggles.
Biggles is offline Find More Posts by Biggles
Old Aug 06, 2001, 05:18 PM
TEAM LEWIS
Dallas, Texas
Joined Mar 2001
321 Posts
Steph280,

Yes, they do tend to come out a little tail heavy if built per plan.

I moved my wings back about 1/4" inch when building but I still have 1/4oz nose weight to balance.

If you have not yet installed your servos, etc.... you could move those as far forward as possible and put your reciever/speed control on the sides of the battery bay. It would be crowded but may shift some of the aft weight closer to the CG so you only have to add minimal weight to the nose.

Also, use velcro to hold in your battery, so you could slide the battery farther out of the front of the Canopy to help shift weight to the nose.

Even with the extra weight, mine flies great.

Harvey
harvey is offline Find More Posts by harvey
Old Aug 07, 2001, 12:14 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,347 Posts
Did any of your stock ones came out tail heavy?

I had to add lead to the nose to balance it. And sinece everything is already glued, I can't shift the wing back anymore. :-(
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Aug 07, 2001, 12:52 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Iím planning on gluing three of the cores together with some dihedral, to make a nice flat bottom wing. Add a stick fuselage, foam tail feathers and a GWS motor/gearbox and youíve got a nice little slow flier Ė thatís my theory at least.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo