RKG
SS, Optio S4 w/PRISM
Woodbury, MN
Joined Aug 2004
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
Got this reply from my local council:

But if (at present) you're operating from your bedroom, for example, then you'll have no business rates liability.
Not sure about the UK tax laws, but I did like the mental image of doing RCAP from your bedroom...

I run my band as a General Partnership in here in the US since it allows us to write off our band losses against our personal income taxes. The band does need to show a profit (well, at least not claim a loss) every couple of years.
RKG is offline Find More Posts by RKG
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2005, 04:13 PM
Supersonic Engineering
UK, Greater London, Uxbridge
Joined Mar 2001
3,144 Posts
David, I don't want to pour cold water on your idea, but of much greater concern to you than taxes should be insurance. Before you start selling anything, it'd be best to check the situation with the BMFA.
GordonTarling is online now Find More Posts by GordonTarling
Old Dec 07, 2005, 06:48 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,233 Posts
I have looked into insurance via the BMFA and it has this to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFA Handbook
The Association has made available a special
insurance to indemnify model traders flying at
displays, shows etc. and for BMFA members who
participate in aspects of commercial model flying
such as aerial photography, survey work or flying
training. The following conditions apply:
(1) The model trader/commercial flyer be registered
with the BMFA.
(2) All persons flying for the model
trader/commercial flyer must be a member of the
BMFA and must hold a BMFA B Certificate.
The Registered model trader/commercial flyer will
also have access to a range of other trader
insurances offered by the BMFAs Insurance Broker.

At the moment I will not be doing anything different to my normal type of flying - it's just a big electric glider which happens to have a camera onboard. I will not be overflying property, and I will not be focusing on any specific properties.

If I got into doing it for farms or property developers then I would definitely look into it. My main aim of this little venture is to make enough money to purchase a large electric helicopter which I would then be using for property work - then I would DEFINITELY look into proper insurance (getting the B certificate, etc).
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster