Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 05, 2005, 07:40 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Rubber FF to E-RC Herr Fokker D.VII

Hi guys!
Just finished my latest project. A Herr Engineering Fokker D.VII 61cm wingspan (24") intended for rubberpowered freeflight converted to 3ch R/C.

The plane is powered by a 5,5gram (0,19oz) micro brushless outrunner (by Uttam on this board if Im not mistaken). Servos are Bluebird 3,4gram micros, Rx is an MZK Penta and the ESC is the Jeti 4A brushless. Battery is an ETec 250SHP 2s Lipo. AUW ready to fly is 107gram or 3,8oz.

The power is an unknown factor until the maiden, but with a GWS 5X3 prop there seems to be enough thrust to get her airborne. I wont be able to maiden her until next weekend at our indoorsession, unless weather here gives me a break (wont be holding my breath for THAT to happen though! ).

The scheme Ive picked is of the plane that Herrman Gring flew over to Sweden in 1919, and subsequently sold to the Airforce (to finance his drug-addiction if Im not mistaken). The plane was painted silver, with the swedish three crowns in black. While in Swedish service (as a testplatform and possibly a traienr from what I can gather) the plane was unarmed.

Ive included one picture from the Swedish Airforce museeum, which sadly isnt of the real plane but of a model they have of it. The only picture Ive seen of the actual plane it was still in the black and white striped scheme in which Gring flew it.
The other two pics are of my model, and clearly shows how well (badly) I get along with Litespan (Im spoiled by the easy handlingqualities of Solite and Solarfilm).
Markings are handpainted, one of the big advantages of Litespan is that it takes paint very well, and gives a much more authentic apearance than Solite and Solarfilm on planes from this era.

Ill report back when she has flown.

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2005, 08:17 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,763 Posts
That looks cool. Looking foward to a flight report.

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Dec 05, 2005, 08:36 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
I know what you mean about litespan. How they can get away with saying that stuff shrinks with heat is beyond me. Nice pick on a unique color scheme too. Most of us cowards would just do red/white. Hope she flies well.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Dec 05, 2005, 08:45 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
As for the Litespan, I actually found out a way to make it shrink a lot more than I could achieve with an Iron. I used a heatgun set at high heat and tried as best I could not to let it heat the covering up too much. However, this is very risky, an I had to recover the tailplane because the covering there just crumpled. I had a few close calls on other areas as well, but not so bad that I felt like re-doing it.
The left side (which is showing in the pics) is actually a lot worse than the right side.
I did cover my Aerodrome RC Fokker Dr.1 in litespan too, but I must have been a lot more careful there. Ill happily use Litespan again (though putting in a little more effort to get the wrinkles out while covering) if I need a painted on finish or one of a linen-covered aircraft, but Solite and Solarspan is sooooo much easier to work with, so as long as the fullsize had a shiny finish Ill use them instead!

Anyway, from a few feets distance, or in the air, my mistakes wont show up, so even though it is far from "perfect" Im rather pleased with it.

Thanks for the wellwishes regarding the maiden. I think itll fly well, and have enough power. Im just a bit concerned about the amount of washout I have, looks like an awful lot now but it seemed like a good idea at the time of building. Ill find out one way or the other!

Anders O
Old Dec 05, 2005, 09:00 PM
mcg
Joined Jul 2005
699 Posts
Hello Anders, beautiful D-VII. I was looking at the photos and trying to discern the control horns -- couldn't see them. I suppose they are they on the other side of the plane? Or are they somehow internal to the fuselage? I was wondering because I have recently purchased a pair of bluebird servos, and I am trying to collect ideas on how to use them. Best, michael
mcg is offline Find More Posts by mcg
Old Dec 05, 2005, 09:19 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,512 Posts
Looks great! Excellent job, and I'm sure it will fly well. I did this model with a stock IPS. With a 640 2s battery my auw was right around 6 oz and it is a wonderful flyer. If you used the stock dihedral you probably don't need much washout at all, but I don't know that it will hurt you. Make sure it's not tailheavy for the maiden. Since mine with the IPS and 6oz weight climbs at close to a 45deg. angle, I have a feeling you won't need full throttle. Way to go on a different color scheme.

Phil
pburress is offline Find More Posts by pburress
Old Dec 05, 2005, 10:56 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Sweet lookin' ship!
i think i figured out servo placement for the pull/pull linkage i'm using on mine. i mounted both servos in the center of the fuse. one is more foreward than the other so i can make adjustments. i'll have pics tomorrow night in my build thread. it's late here so time for some ZZZ....
BTW, is there a difference between litespan and coverlite?
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 05, 2005, 11:50 PM
I'm Charged!
The end of the Oregon trail
Joined Jan 2001
1,035 Posts
Nice looking model! I have not been very successful with any heat shrink coverings on sub 30" ships.Seems it's always either too loose, or tight enough to warp the structure. I stick with Japanese tissue on all my small birds now.
Looking forward to a flight report.

Jeff
megawatt is offline Find More Posts by megawatt
Old Dec 06, 2005, 12:08 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,671 Posts
Zero - it looks great - I've not had problems shrinking Litespan - as long as I only use the heat to tighten it, not get out all the wrinkles my poor workmanship left behind but the silver Litespan I found terrible to use so your efforts seem extra good to me esp. at such a small scale!
Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Dec 06, 2005, 12:22 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,183 Posts
Sweet loooking model, Anders. Well done! Enjoy the maiden
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Dec 06, 2005, 12:26 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Thanks guys!

MCG, the controlhorns are on the other side. Im using 1,2mm CF rod for both horns and pushrods. The two are simply connected with a piece of heatshrink tubing.

Ill report back when she has flown (or crashed!).
Seriously, Im not very worried. At this wheight, she should be controllable even if I have a few warps and too much washout.

Anders O
Old Dec 06, 2005, 03:23 PM
mcg
Joined Jul 2005
699 Posts
Neat idea. If I understand this correctly, the heat shrink is bent 90-degrees when the elevator is centered, and thus acts like a semi-flexible hinge between pushrod and the "horn"? Nice solution. Thank you. michael
mcg is offline Find More Posts by mcg
Old Dec 06, 2005, 06:42 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Exactly Michael, you got it perfectly right. I stole this idea from the world of 3D indoor foamies, where it is often used. Personally, I dont like it very much in that kind of plane and my own 3D foamies have been "upgraded" to a traditional Z-bend and horn setup. The controlresponse gets a bit sloppy in my opinion which isnt very good in a plane where controlresponse is everything. In a plane like this however it should work out very well, and it does save some wheight.

Anders O
Old Dec 06, 2005, 07:49 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,546 Posts
Anders,

Very nice little bird.

I really do like airspan better than litespan. I guess cause I like the ability to apply glue just where I want it and not have the covering stick to things I don't want it to. Still takes a bit of work to get it down without wrinkles

I covered a plane with tissue on my last build (Rossiten Motor Glider). Just to see if was as messy as I remembered from my youth. It is. I used WBPU, acrylic paints, and Future floor finish (clear gloss acrylic) on it. Also forgot about humidity effects. On a rainy day I had to put it in a heated truck cab to shrink it back up. Does work well though.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Dec 06, 2005, 07:59 PM
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Thanks Charlie, I was actually thinking about using tissue on this, I even bought some extra Japanese tissue (there is tissue provided with the kit, but I wasnt too fond of the colors). Im glad I didnt use it though. As you say, any humidity and it gets all wrinkled, and it is a mess to work with, which I remember all too well from my stick and tissue kits as a kid.

Im not sure what you meen when you talk about Airspan vs. Litespan, they both require balsaloc (or some other glue) to stick. Or perhaps I misread you and you werent talking about Airspan vs. Litespan but rather about Airspan AND Litespan vs. other coveringfilms?

Anders O