SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2005, 06:08 PM
Joined Jul 2005
2 Posts
Rave
Landing Gear for GWS Corsair

Hello Everyone,

This landing gear looks a little flimsy. I'll be flying from grass, and wondering what wheels not only look good, but perform well. Also, have any of you moded the front landing gear?

Also, what is a good color for repainting this WWII bird? What has worked for you guys?

I've included some picts so you can see my sanding and fuse drying.

Thanks gang!

Ed
jedville is offline Find More Posts by jedville
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2005, 09:03 AM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
heres how I make mine, I use .080 wire and I bend them so the axle is just a head of the wing, this keeps it from tipping over on take off and landing, the wire I start with is about 6 3/4 long, I also leave almost 3/4 of a inch where the ski or wheel fits (use the same gear for both) so I can use larger tire's than stock, the bend coming straight down from the plastic part is about 7/8 inch, then the bend going forward and down about a 40 degree's is 2 1/2 inchs, the bend at the end of the down bend is about 3/4 straight down and the axle is bent out about 3/4 of a inch
I also point the axles out to the wing tips giving it a wide stance
also you have to drill the black plastis part a tad bigger to fit the .080 wire and enlarge the grove it sets in slightly large by useing the same bit at a angle in the slot
Click on the photos to enlarge them
steve ypsi mi is offline Find More Posts by steve ypsi mi
Old Dec 06, 2005, 11:04 AM
Got Speed?
Aiken, South Carolina, United States
Joined Apr 2004
247 Posts
most people who fly on grass do not use landing gear because of the ruts in the ground. I used to fly my BN-2 on a golf course. Take off on the green, land in the fairway. After the 10th flight I broke the nose gear and flipped the plane(hit a rut). What motor are you going to use?
TooSlow is offline Find More Posts by TooSlow
Old Dec 06, 2005, 12:39 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,199 Posts
Wheels generally don't work for small models on grass unless it is like a putting green. If you have fairly large diameter tires and plenty of power you can sometimes "pull it off" in typical grass. You usually flip on landing. Chubby Lady wheels on a Corsair etc., look bizarre. Maybe a dolly with larger tires that drops off after ROG would work if you can't hand-launch successfully. With wheels, it's best to find a flying site with some smooth dirt or pavement.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 07, 2005, 08:49 AM
Joined Jul 2005
2 Posts
Thanks everyone. I may try this thing with no wheels. It is foam, so I should be easily be able to work with this. Thanks again for your help, and the idea with the wire.
jedville is offline Find More Posts by jedville
Old Dec 10, 2005, 12:04 PM
Cliff
Chattahoochee,Fla
Joined Dec 2004
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedville
Hello Everyone,

This landing gear looks a little flimsy. I'll be flying from grass, and wondering what wheels not only look good, but perform well. Also, have any of you moded the front landing gear?

Also, what is a good color for repainting this WWII bird? What has worked for you guys?

I've included some picts so you can see my sanding and fuse drying.

Thanks gang!

Ed
Jed as already said plain ol' grass is rough on the small wheels. My answer is to use 2"foam wheels and glue a CF rod to the rear of the gear and drill into the mount installing the end into the plastic base. Still need smoother landing strip tho but gear is very strong. Here's the pics.
cwksr is offline Find More Posts by cwksr