SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 05, 2005, 02:39 PM
Joined May 2005
149 Posts
6mmFlyRC's New BD-5 Microjet

Just a heads up, but we (6mmflyrc ) are getting ready to release our newest pusher. The BD-5. We are going to have a fully airfoiled wing and hopefully a clear canopy. We are looking to release it December 15th. We will do a build thread of course, but wanted to let everyone know a little ahead of time.
jazsop is offline Find More Posts by jazsop
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2005, 11:20 AM
Joined May 2005
149 Posts
First test flight this weekend

We will be flying our test plane this weekend, so be on the lookout for video come Monday.
Old Dec 07, 2005, 12:17 PM
Sedro Woolley, WA
Joined Jan 2004
122 Posts
I Want Pictures!
mcdonald77 is offline Find More Posts by mcdonald77
Old Dec 07, 2005, 12:39 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Sounds like a great little jet What are the Specs?
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Dec 07, 2005, 02:27 PM
Joined May 2005
149 Posts
Update

Clear canopy is a go. As for the specs, we are still toying around with a few different wings, so I dont have them yet. Its about the size of the regular park jets we have.

Here is the page to check for updates, I also have a small pic on there of our prototype without the clear canopy.

6mmflyrc
Old Dec 07, 2005, 02:33 PM
Joined May 2005
149 Posts
A few pictures

Call this the "lab" But you can see the progress from a few weeks ago. The F-18 in the background is one of our Ultimate Super Hornets (135% or so) of the original size, so dont get confused on the scale. Obvioulsy, the foam canopy will be gone and a clear one will be in its place. Again, these are some initial pictures of the first test model.
Old Dec 07, 2005, 03:04 PM
Sedro Woolley, WA
Joined Jan 2004
122 Posts
Sign Me Up! I'll Take One. Remember On The Test Flight They Are Prone To Dive On Full Throttle!
Old Dec 07, 2005, 04:12 PM
Joined May 2005
149 Posts
Thanks

We will see how the flight goes, I'll report and have some video posted weather permitting. Okay, who am I kidding, its 70 degrees out today, nothing but sunshine!
Old Dec 08, 2005, 03:55 PM
Joined May 2005
149 Posts
Progress

We are on schedule to fly this weekend. We will have this available at the AZ Electric Fly-In.

We installed the motor and servos last night.
Old Dec 08, 2005, 07:30 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,056 Posts
Put me down as very interested in this one. It looks way closer to scale proportions than the cermark one and others I've seen. Hopefully, it's still light enough that it doesn't have the L/D of a brick, I like my planes on the slower, lighter side. Also, if it only works properly with a brushless outrunner and expensive controller, that's a downer for me. If it can give good performance on a Speed 400, I will be really interested!

The full scales came with choice of a longer "gliding" wing or a shorter sport aerobatic wing. The one in your pic looks liek the short wing.

How do you run the prop, off a shaft witht he motor in the forward fuse to keep the tail light and scale-like, or did you make adjustments to accomodate the motor right int he tail?
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Old Dec 09, 2005, 04:02 AM
Joined May 2005
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aten W Arthog
Put me down as very interested in this one. It looks way closer to scale proportions than the cermark one and others I've seen. Hopefully, it's still light enough that it doesn't have the L/D of a brick, I like my planes on the slower, lighter side. Also, if it only works properly with a brushless outrunner and expensive controller, that's a downer for me. If it can give good performance on a Speed 400, I will be really interested!

The full scales came with choice of a longer "gliding" wing or a shorter sport aerobatic wing. The one in your pic looks liek the short wing.

How do you run the prop, off a shaft witht he motor in the forward fuse to keep the tail light and scale-like, or did you make adjustments to accomodate the motor right int he tail?
The wing span is 36" and this one was made off of the long wing version. The root chord is 5 3/4" and the tip chord is 3 3/4" With a max depth of about 1/2" in the depest spot. This has the actual scale airfoil wing from the real bd-5 and planes is in all proportions the same as the real bd-5 minus the vertical tail is 12% larger, but you can not tell. l do not think this will be slow plane at all with a speed 400 brushed motor on it. The motor mount is stick mount for ease, and is easily hidden. We will post more pictures up here soon. thx matt
Old Dec 09, 2005, 06:14 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,056 Posts
How is the drive system arranged? Is the motor in the forward fuse with an extension shaft?
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Old Dec 09, 2005, 11:00 PM
Joined May 2005
149 Posts
motor is in the tail in the shaft output position. matt
Old Dec 10, 2005, 06:09 PM
Sedro Woolley, WA
Joined Jan 2004
122 Posts
when you flying this machine? WE want video
Old Dec 10, 2005, 06:17 PM
Joined May 2005
149 Posts
Soon, very soon

We were not able to get out today. Perhaps tomorrow with video on Monday.