Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 05, 2005, 08:02 AM
FLYER spelled I-squared-R
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Hidden control horns: The RDS (rotary drive system)

I am building/converting the Top Flite DC-3. The feature of this kit that I disliked the most (from a scale standpoint) was the exposed control horns on the flaps and ailerons.

The flaps were solved fairly easily as they are bottom hinged, but the ailerons were more difficult. I needed something for a (relatively) thin wing and center-hinged ailerons.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the Rotary Driver System (RDS). This is used with some regularity by the high performance glider builders who have thin wings and need low drag. It seems to be a great solution for general and scale use, but I can find relatively few references to it on scale forums (both here and at other sites).

Here is a thread that links to most of the sites with RDS info:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409454

I selected the 3/32 IRF machineworks shafts and pockets, with the Kimbrough adapters. The entire setup, shipped, was $28. You can build your own and the only components that must be purchased are the Kimbrough adapters at $5 for a set of (2).

My IRF parts arrived over the weekend. Shipping was very prompt and everything is well made. I will post pictures of the installation with HS-81 servos as I proceed.

David
fliir is offline Find More Posts by fliir
Last edited by fliir; Dec 05, 2005 at 08:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2005, 05:09 PM
Dundas, Ontario, Canada.
Joined Sep 2001
776 Posts
I use that system and like it . It's now going in my 1/5 scale DeHavilland Vampire.

Marc
747drvr is offline Find More Posts by 747drvr
Old Dec 05, 2005, 07:40 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
i'm really intrested in this system. although i will need a smaller dia. rod (1/16) for my application. do you think this would work with a smaller servo (i.e. HS55)?

post lots of build picks!!
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 06, 2005, 06:20 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
I know it will work with the HS81 size (standard). There are also instructions on the Genie site (file#6) for making a custom fit adapter to fit ANY servo.

For those waiting, I am out of town on business for the next (3) days, so I won't be able to post any photos until the weekend.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:20 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Here are the components. The Kimbrough adapters are all that you really need to purchase for "light duty" applications, but I purchased shafts and pockets from:

www.irfmachineworks.com

Here is the shaft and pocket. This is the 3/32 size, but Walt makes the sets in 1/16, 3/32 and 1/8.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:24 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Here is the Kimbrough adapter on an HS-81. The Kimbrough's come with (5) adapters to fit most common servo splines. A pair cost $5
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:30 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
To install, first install the pocket in the control surface. I centered the pocket on the hinge line, but this is NOT a requirement. In fact, I have found that the RDS method allows for quite a bit of adjustability. It is not necessary to hold great precision in either the vertical or horizontal axis.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:34 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Next step is to install the servo. After the servo has been mounted (targeted loosely at the center of the trailing edge), align the shaft and drill a hole through the trailing edge for the shaft. The hole should be enlarged vertically, as the shaft is intended to have play in the vertical plane. By contrast, the shaft is to be supported on both sides.

The shaft is held in the Kimbrough adapter by two hex-head setscrews. I shortened the supplied shafts and ground a new flat for the setscrew. Walt told me in later communication that he will supply the shorter shafts premade upon request.

One note, the original RDS concept mounted the shaft 45 degrees to the trailing edge. The 90 degree mount that I have chosen is apparently a newer application.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:44 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
With the 32 degree shaft (angle of the bend in the shaft), the pocket is WAY oversize, so left-to-right alignment is a non-issue, perhaps 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch of clearance. Here is the net result - an aileron without any visible means of support and plenty of travel:
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:50 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Finally, since there is no connector, the pocket can slide off the shaft for removal. If hinge-pin style hinges were used, the aileron could be removed at any time for maintenance. I am using CA hinges, so this is not a benefit for me on this project.

Here is another view of the completed installation:
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:52 PM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
The biggest surprise was how un-critical the installation was. There were no "messy" alignment issues. It just slid right together.

The IRD pockets are exceptionally nice. The spacers between the two sides are (milled?) micarta, so they should have excellent humidity and temperature stability.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:57 PM
Got H2? Fuel Cell R/C Car
United States, TX, Del Rio
Joined Mar 2004
2,476 Posts
now those are pretty darn cool! Learn something new everyday, I do.
Keith43221 is offline Find More Posts by Keith43221
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:32 AM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Wow! That is a fantastic way of doing it, so clean, and amazing at how un-critical the installation is. Thanks for sharing.

-Sky
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:00 AM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
David, great thread!

I've seen some sketchy information about a system similar to this in the past, and have always wondered about it's effectiveness. It does look good, although I have to wonder about long term use and consequent wear. Also seems like it might have a tendency to hang up if any moisture got into the pocket in cold wet weather.

Another question, how tightly does the system hold the control surface in position? Is it tight enough to prevent any surface flutter on high performance models?

Certainly looks promising where an out-of-sight contol linkage is needed.

Hope you carry through with a long term evaluation of this system when you get it flying.

Thanks for sharing your experiences by way of this well documented and photographed thread!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:18 AM
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Sep 2001
1,623 Posts
Ace:

This technology comes from high performance gliders. It doesn't seem to be widely known in scale circles. The well known (Dr.) Mark Dreyla has designed a specialized servo mounting system for use with RDS. Hotliner pilots report no problems with flutter. It has LESS backlash than a good ball-link system. Follow the links in Post #1, especially File 6 on the Genie site.

With regard to moisture, it would require getting liquid into the pocket and then having it refreeze. Pretty hard to do, as there is no heat in the area (no motor, battery, etc.). If it is cold enough to freeze, how do you get the water into the pocket in liquid form?

David