Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 31, 2002, 01:17 AM
I'll fly anything...
United States, CA, Palm Springs
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Jet Hangar Bae Hawk

I've recently started working on my JHH Hawk ARF. This is a great kit and a real value for the money. I've only run into a few very minor snags in building, overall it's a winner.

For construciton photos and notes go to
http://www.allenrockwell.com/PhotoGallery/Models.htm
and click the Hawk link at the top of the page.

If anyone has built and flown this bird I'd be curious to hear your impressions .... I've been building and flying RC for about 20 years but it's been about 10 years since I've wiggled the sticks on an IC DF model.... I'm sure it will be no problem but I'm open to any comment or advice you might have.

BTW, I am putting an OS .65 VRDF in this model, it should climb like a homesick angel.
GlasairAllen is offline Find More Posts by GlasairAllen
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2002, 12:10 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2002
862 Posts
jhh hawk

Allen,

With a .65 it should go like stink, my friend was at the test flight of the prototype with JHH staff with a 0.48 and it clocked close to 120 MPH !! Have fun !!!

Happy landings,

wilerbee
wilerbee is offline Find More Posts by wilerbee
Old Jun 10, 2002, 05:20 PM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,432 Posts
Allen,

I've flown it!

Wilerbee,

Which prototype was that? The production bird goes quicker than 120 with the 48...at least, it sure looks like it! I've never seen clocked speeds for it...From what I hear, it was haulin' butt at the Denver Jet Rally this past weekend.

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Last edited by JetMang; Jun 10, 2002 at 05:23 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2002, 10:21 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
So Close....

I'm so close to first flight that I can taste the glow fuel fumes.

All that is left is to install the aft ducting and the tuned pipe. I should be wheels up be the weekend for sure.

More photos and construction notes at:

http://www.allenrockwell.com/PhotoGallery/Models.htm

click the Hawk link at the top of the page.
Old Jun 11, 2002, 10:24 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JetMang
Allen,

I've flown it!

Chris

Chris,

Is that your Mirage that you are using for your Avatar? Now about some larger photos?

BTW, can you get me a bargain price on a JHH A-7 Corsair II? I understand you have some pull over there

TTYL
Old Jun 13, 2002, 03:31 PM
Joined Feb 2002
2,432 Posts
Allen,

The Hawk looks great! You'll like how it flies. I got the instrument panels and the look awsome! Thanks....we'll send them on and maybe get them into the kit if we can.

My Avatar is a picture of the full-size airplane which is the airplane I am modelling. I wish mine was painted already....I'm so eager to get that thing painted, but the work has been slow on it. When I have some good pictures of my Mirage, I'll post them, how's that sound?

You know, I may not have as much pull as you think. Seriously though, you want an A-7?...we can work something out. Email me and I'll see what I can do. My dad should be back from Denver tonight.

Chris
Old Jun 15, 2002, 11:39 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,591 Posts
looks great Allen .............gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Jun 17, 2002, 09:26 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
First (and last) flight report

Here is the first flight report. We are going to examine the flight video and try to see what happened, but initially it seems that I may have had something (elevator incidence) way out or whack and also something important may have come off the plane half way through the flight (which might have been loose from the moment of takeoff). I'm still standing by my opinion that this is a great kit .... stuff happens though. You can't be in this hobby if you do not believe that what goes up must always come down

Takeoff roll was nice, I noticed that it took quite a bit more up elevator than I thought it would to rotate (speed was very good), once airborne the gear went up fine...   Once in the air it became apparent that I needed to hold A LOT of up elevator to keep it flying ... after putting in all the trim my radio would allow it still required an ass load of up elevator to keep flying straight and level.  The plane was moving very fast and flying level, but with a ton of up elevator.  As soon as I got the plane (and myself) settled down I started immediately to trouble shoot and plan a landing.  I made a very wide circuit around the field (I did not have any more elevator to pull a sharp turn), once the plane was around behind me it seems (from looking at the video through the camera's viewfinder) that something fairly large separated from the airframe (we'll know more later after seeing the video on the TV).  I continued the large circle until I was parallel with the runway and on a upwind leg .... I dropped the gear and started my crosswind turn ... at this point the plane just quit flying, it banked hard left and nosed down ... the rest is history. 

Dropping the gear in a turn probably was not the best move in this case, looking back now I should have dropped the gear when I was about 5' off the ground on final. Whatever was causing the plane to want to fly nose-down was probably exaggerated by the drag of the gear ... compound that with being in a turn (probably at the edge of a high speed stall) and we seem to have a recipe for disaster.

I think I can salvage 3 or 4 servos (out of 9), the main landing gear and maybe the engine... but that's it.
Not a good day!

Well, it was a $1000 day for me ... life goes on, it's just a toy right? 

It sure looked great in the air for about a minute or so 
Old Jun 17, 2002, 11:01 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,381 Posts
That is a real tragedy. Please let us know what the cause was when you get it figured out.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Jun 17, 2002, 11:20 PM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbourke
That is a real tragedy. Please let us know what the cause was when you get it figured out.

Jim
Will do Jim. It was a tragedy, It was a beautiful model and I was really looking froward to having it around for a long while.

I know that most people blame something other than themselves when they crash a plane... but in this case I really fealt like I flew the plane to the very end, this is one case where I cannot blame my thumbs, but perhaps it was something I did in the building and/or setup. I am not the worlds greatest pilot but I can take some comfort in knowing that all my skill and experience was called on today and I did not choke, I flew that baby till the very end.

I'll try to figure out what happened and learn from it.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 11:26 AM
I'll fly anything...
Joined Aug 2001
502 Posts
Video (slide show) of the aft hatch departing in flight

http://www.allenrockwell.com/PhotoGa...mages/hawk.ram

This is puzzling, I installed the aft hatch exactly as directed by the instructions and used the hardware provided. I cannot imagine how this came off in flight ... but it did.
Old Jun 18, 2002, 12:09 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,381 Posts
Maybe a glue joint pulled away from the inside of the fuse as it flexed?

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Jun 19, 2002, 10:13 AM
Joined Feb 2002
2,432 Posts
Hi Allen,

I'm really sorry to hear about this. I've been trying to look at the .ram file, but I have been unsuccessful. I can't get through the firewall here at work to view it and I don't have real video on the computers at home. Any chance you could post it as a .wmv or something compatible with windows media player?

From your description, it sounds like the airplane was severely nose heavy. Stab incidence could have been a culprit too...I really don't know...that's puzzling. I'd suggest calling up the shop and getting a phone dialog going. Hopefully we can figure out what happened.

Chris
Last edited by JetMang; Jun 19, 2002 at 10:33 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2002, 12:35 AM
Joined Oct 2002
1 Posts
a "Wolfe" in sheep's clothing?

This is the second thread where I've seen this particular aircraft TOTALED on the first flight by experienced modelers. I'd say compared to the rest of the Jet Hangar range, this plane doesn't compare...certainly not in looks anyway. And that "is" a huge chunk of change to put into the ground. Jet Mang, what kind of flight-testing was done before the release of this model to the public? Thanks.

S.S.
scaleslickster is offline Find More Posts by scaleslickster
Old Nov 20, 2002, 05:25 PM
Joined Feb 2002
2,432 Posts
Nah, just on my way to Grandma's House...

S.S.,

The Hawk was in development for over a year. There were a total of 3 prototypes built and flown. Extensive flight testing was performed on each so as to ensure the best flying aircraft possible. Results of flight testing included as far as changing the airfoil and cg location (among other things) of the production kit. The aircraft was created from scale aircraft 3-views and cross-sections and is actually quite scale (though, not true 100% scale). Unfortunately, crashes happen. I know what you mean about the investment, but crashing an aircraft is part of the risk of this hobby, you know? It happens to the best of us...I had a Sabre once that lasted only 5 flights and it sucked, but it happens! Any number of things can contribute to a crash, radio failure(happened on my Sabre), reversed controls (I've seen that one happen few times), a bad servo, weather...anything. Though, in Allen's case, I truly don't know what happened, and I was sad to hear it happened, we've had numerous success stories come back to us about this aircraft, and based on my own experience with the airplane, it is a sweet flyer that's a lot of fun.

Chris