SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2005, 07:31 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Useful Tools or neat build techniques

Since this is a build area, I would like to see some mention of must have tools or useful build techniques or better or safer methods of doing things. Especially from some of the long time or master builders out there, since I would like to improve my skills and find that tools and techniques can make all the difference.

To start:

I have the Dremel with the lithium ion batteries. This lasts quite a while and I find it much more pleasant to use than the old corded version.

To cut a roll of solarfilm or doculam I use a ruler clamped to the table with the doculam underneath off near the edge of the table. This allows me to cut a nice straight line using the ruler as the guide.

I do most of my sanding, painting and gluing under an old kitchen hood vent that I have salvaged, since my shop is in my basement. I'm able to vent the bad air to the outside. I've even enclosed most of it with a removable curtain and used a Plexiglas for the front when working with stuff such as epoxy or spray paint. This has made the hobby much more enjoyable and I always use gloves when working with epoxy or PU glue.

Since I like to build with balsa, stringers are usually a hassle to deal with. To work around this problem I built a small tool to allow me to cut 1/16 slots perfectly. Here is a picture of it. I also use it to trim out edges. I now get much nicer results.

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com/
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; Dec 04, 2005 at 07:42 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2005, 09:05 PM
Brunei Darussalam
Joined Mar 2003
556 Posts
Kin,
Can you describe more about how you made your DIY tool and what materials, motor and other stuffs you used in the process.

Thanks.
-shim

ps. Happy New Year 2006
shim is offline Find More Posts by shim
Old Jan 01, 2006, 12:03 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
I've used .5/.75 ounce fiberglass cloth laminated to very thin around 1/32 inch obechi for wing skins. We've used 2 pieces of glass and put the parts between the glass with wax paper against the glass. Then add some weight to the top of the glass to make a better piece of sheeting. I've also used this technique to produce a thin strong composite with balsa for small pieces of sheeting. You don't have to worry about crunching through the finished balsa skin as easily plus it is strong and will finish sand like any other piece of balsa.

Scott
p.s. I'm in need of vacum formed parts construction techniques.
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower
Old Jan 01, 2006, 01:20 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfong
To cut a roll of solarfilm or doculam I use a ruler clamped to the table with the doculam underneath off near the edge of the table. This allows me to cut a nice straight line using the ruler as the guide.
I make long straight cuts by laying the plastic film over the leaf joint in an old dining table, then I run an exacto blade down the joint. Some materials have enough static cling to do this freehand, while others need to be taped down to avoid shifting while cutting.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jan 03, 2006, 04:29 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
Joined Nov 2003
500 Posts
Hi Shim,

Happy New Year!

We have a website that has pictures of our mill and CNC stuff. http://www.embeddedtronics.com/metalworking.html
I designed the cutter much like a small mill. I use grooves to allow me to adjust the height and setscrews to lock the position.

Here is a picture of the cutters bottom view. Note: to keep the runout at a minimum, a 1/8th bearing was used. I got lazy and just used epoxy putty to position it. I didn't want to go through the trouble to align it with the motor. It's the grey looking blob. works great.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=401014

Kin

http://www.embeddedtronics.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by shim
Kin,
Can you describe more about how you made your DIY tool and what materials, motor and other stuffs you used in the process.

Thanks.
-shim

ps. Happy New Year 2006
kfong is offline Find More Posts by kfong
Last edited by kfong; Jan 03, 2006 at 04:49 PM.