SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2005, 10:58 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jul 2003
46 Posts
Trying to build my first corona

Hey guys, here we go. I bought alot of coronas (4) one was a BT upgrade, it was just parts, I got the belt drive for the main and tail. so I have bought these other birds , 1 of them that I bought was a RTF, I thought I would learn on that one and build this BT one. So I have this alum-crutch and I thought that I could use it, the motor mount will not line up with the belt system. what is the problem? and what is the difference from a 110 and a 120, is the frames different? Please help if you can. I have a feeling I will have this thread open for a while. Please advise.
TMflight
tmflight is offline Find More Posts by tmflight
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2005, 11:09 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
there are tons of corona thread here, if you do a search.

110 is the old gas powered model with 10" blade instead of 13" blade that corona has. it has been superceded by 116/7 model. it came with wood crutch.

first 120s came with wood crutch, but later went to flat aluminum crutch.

you have 4 LMH helis? complete?

lets start with so called RTF version. I am not sure what you mean by not lining up, but you may have to elongate the screw hole for the hyperdrive to work with stock aluminum crutch. frankly, you should build it up as stock or at least fly as stock and upgrade as you break part, but why not.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2005, 11:44 AM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jul 2003
46 Posts
my first corona

Thanks for the info, Yes I do have 4 LMH's but there not all RTF. I have one stock, that I am going to fly first, the one I am wanting to build will be when I am good enough to fly it, I am just trying to learn as much about these birds as I can.
Old Dec 04, 2005, 03:39 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Hey Bud,

I am here ifs you need any advice on your helis. The Hyper Drive (belt drive) requires the motor mount slots to be lengthened. Otherwise it fits fine. Do you have the instructions for the BT parts? If not, I can email them to you in Word documents.

Matt.........
www.ballistictechnology.com
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old Dec 04, 2005, 03:53 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jul 2003
46 Posts
Matt,
This is an honor, I won't tie you up with the little things but this is nice to speak to you. I bought quite a few things that you make off of here. I also just ordered from you the billet swash plate. I am trying to build a nice chopper. OK here is a question. I have 4 corona's, 3 of them have wood crutches, one has holes for two clamps for the tail boom, the other two have only one set of holes. why is that ? different years? I also have an alum crutch, the motor mount does not line up right to give me the proper tention for the MR belt, soooo Which one would you use to start a nice build.
Sorry I am so novice about this, but one day I will be proficent.
Thanks for your reply.
TMflight

PS yes I have the instructions, I guess it is still hard to understand in the beginning.
Old Dec 04, 2005, 04:38 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
The older wooden crutches used a 3 hole boom clamp. LMH changed to the new dual clamps when they switched to the alu crutch.

The 3 hole clamps are still available if you need them. They're part number 82410.
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:07 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jul 2003
46 Posts
aragon, thanks for your reply, here is another queston. one of the crutches is made for two clamps, the other 2 are made for one, why is that, does it go back to what you have already told me?.. I also have the long black clamp, that is about 3 in long is that new or old and do people still use it?
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:27 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
long one sounds like chopper-1 clamp. www.chopper-1.org it is bret's design.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:35 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
All good advice. I agree with everything said.

You will need to lengthen the slots in the aluminum crutch for the Hyper Drive. That is all that is needed to make it work.

Matt..........

Just take your time. It will go together.
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:36 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
tmf, yea it just goes back to what I said. LMH changed their production line a year or two ago slightly and adopted the alu crutch and the new two clamp system.

Can you post a photo of the long one? Definately sounds like chopper-1's clamp.
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:40 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jul 2003
46 Posts
askman,
You are right, it is the chopper-1 part, would you suggest that I build the BT chopper with the Alum crutch for now? That is what the show the tail clamp hooked up to.
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:45 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
if the chopper 1 clamp will work with aluminum crutch, go ahead and build it up using it, aluminum crutch and bt parts. that is way to go. you will need to elongate the slot for the motor mounting plate hole in the crutch, so that you can get enough tension on the belt.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:46 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jul 2003
46 Posts
In response to Heli Mod man, the alum cruth has a, (what I call) an added motor mount, should I just re-drill it's position to make the right tention for the belt drive? instead of long gating the holes in the mount, which I don't think is still enough?
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:55 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
elongate the hole on the crutch or redrill. not the plastic mount.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2005, 06:08 PM
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jul 2003
46 Posts
askman,
That is what I needed to know to get started., I love this site. where else could you get this info.... But.... I am sure through this process I will need more info.
You have been a big help.
TMflight