Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 30, 2002, 07:25 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2001
248 Posts
Are there any cheap aerobatic planes out there that have power

I have and itching for a plane that has power but not to expensive with custum motors or pricy brushless technology. I have exausted myself scouring the internet for the perfect combination of price and power but every plane has its drawbacks. Like bigger motor bigger plane and more space is needed. I was thinking that $200 is what I am willing to spend on a plane and motor. One of the things is that I want a small aerobatic plane that will handle winds of 10 or below. I was looking at the lil luscumb sport with the 300 motor. I could get a cheap deal on an astro 010. You think this would scoot the plane around pretty good. I like the looks of the sport planes that hobby lobby has but all seem to require a jeti phasor to peform well. cheaper would be better but I think I am asking to much. If you could recomend something good please do. Im just tired of seeing my little moth out run by a kite when the winds climb to a mind blistering 8+ miles per hour
SpaKack is offline Find More Posts by SpaKack
Last edited by SpaKack; May 31, 2002 at 01:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2002, 07:40 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
The switchback will fulfill all of your requirements except unlimited vertical. The vertical line is very very good considering the default power system is a cheap-o gws 370B. Check www.mountainmodels.com for current pricing on the kit and motor. Doug's a great guy to do business with as well. I'm looking into the possibility of turning a second switchback into a hovering machine, but I'm looking at hacker or mega brushless motors for that. If you can live without unlimited vertical, you will not be disappointed! The switchback shrugs off wind that grounds larger glow airplanes.
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old May 30, 2002, 08:36 PM
This space for rent
Peachtree City, Ga USA
Joined Apr 2000
810 Posts
Or go the extra $200 dollars for the Hacker and have the unlimited vertical as well...

Steven
Steven D is online now Find More Posts by Steven D
Old May 30, 2002, 08:40 PM
USA, MS, Iuka
Joined Jan 2002
722 Posts
I have had great luck with the Radical R/C Edge 540. My old one weighed 10.0 oz and had all the verticle I could use and still enjoy the view ( would climb till it was small!). It handles the wind very well ( with-in reasonable limits) and did every manuver in the book all for $55.00. And its fast to build to boot!

Check out this thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=35267

Regards
Bill
Bsouthwell is offline Find More Posts by Bsouthwell
Old May 30, 2002, 09:04 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
I second the vote for the Switchback. I'm sure it has better vertical than the Luscomb just because it weighs less.

Did you see the Katana and Cap 232 by www.verticalrc.com ? Do a search for them and read the posts.

Another option that is more of a flying thing than an airplane would be an IFO. Probably not up to the wind you are talking about.

If you can handle it the ultimate plane for hovering reasonably has to be the E3D. Check out many threads about it in the Sportplanes forum.

Good luck,

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 31, 2002, 02:29 AM
Joined Oct 2001
248 Posts
Still looking

I see that the crazy max is only $49 at hobbypeople.com. It just looks a bit fragile. Could I upgrade it with a different motor to speed it up and get more climb? I also like the looks of http://www.hobby-lobby.com/split280.htm I have not heard any thing about this but it still looks a bit tougher than the CM. I wonder what kind of power it has for climbing. Im just get kinda board circling my moth round and round to gain altatude only to loop it or dive it and then begin the whole process again. I want to do the fun stuff. I want my battery to be put to good use.

Ohh and thanks for the suggestions so far
Old May 31, 2002, 03:08 AM
Joined Oct 2001
248 Posts
Im not aginst brushless

Im not aginst getting a brushless motor but they all seem to expensive or limmited to that particular plane because of mounting. If I can get a good aerobatic plane and a brushless motor cheap enough I would think about it does anyone have something in their fleet that would fit the bill
Old May 31, 2002, 09:36 AM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,659 Posts
There are several planes that will do what you want. You say you want unlimited vertical, does that mean hover or just zip straight up for several hundred feet?

Any of the 30" wingspan, 11-14oz AUW class sport planes will do what you want with a brushless motor. The Switchback has gotten the best reviews. I currently fly a Wattage Sporty with a 370 brushed upgrade (essentially a Sukhoi) and it has exceptional power. I can pull up from level flight, do three vertical victory rolls, then level out at the top. Loops are large. The plane only weights 11.5oz AUW, but still it handles up to 15mph fine.

The wattage sukhoi sells for $60 including the motor.

I'd start with a Switchback -- particularly if you want to hover. (But you haven't mentioned hover, only unlimited vertical). Or if you'd rather go foamie, Sukhoi (but the Sukhoi is definately not a hoverable plane with its stock control surfaces.) Either will handle a brushless upgrade for even more vertical if you decide you want more.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old May 31, 2002, 09:49 AM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,302 Posts
If you're after hovering mainly and low $$$, what's wrong with the old trusty IFO?
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old May 31, 2002, 10:15 AM
Lazy sob
Rural retreat, Virginia
Joined Apr 2002
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pierre Audette
If you're after hovering mainly and low $$$, what's wrong with the old trusty IFO?

NOTHING in my opinion!!!

Some people put in a 280bb motor or a speed 400 to get REAL unlimited vertical.(I've heard 15 - 16 ounce thrust to an 11 - 12 ounce model!!!) There's some REAL vertical!!
I FO nut is offline Find More Posts by I FO nut
Old May 31, 2002, 10:29 AM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pierre Audette
He did say "plane" though... not... thing.

Old May 31, 2002, 11:37 AM
Lazy sob
Rural retreat, Virginia
Joined Apr 2002
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Melfsmite

THING??

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!

YOU SHOULD BE ARRESTED!!! ]
I FO nut is offline Find More Posts by I FO nut
Last edited by I FO nut; May 31, 2002 at 11:42 AM.
Old May 31, 2002, 01:31 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
"Stealth Plane" is more like it, especially when covered in black.

Jun Nolasco

Quote:
Originally posted by Melfsmite

nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
Old May 31, 2002, 01:50 PM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
He he, Melfsmite, I got clean away with saying the same 'thing' you did.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old May 31, 2002, 02:07 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,659 Posts
From somewhere deep in the dungeons of wild RC, our hero, Melfsmite, rots in a cell while being "re-educated" in the ways of the IFO. Pictures flash upon the wall, bright lights shine in his faces, his eyelids are propped open with toothpicks so he MUST watch the images of brainwashing. A gestapo-uniformed officer, maniacally repeating "Vee have vays of making you talk!" shocks our hero with a d'arsenval prod powered by properly charged Lithium-Ion polymer packs.

"You must zay zee first word zat comes into your mind! Qwivikly!"

Another image flashes on the wall.

"Kite!" screams Melfsmite, deperately hoping to overt another blast of the powerful prod.

BBBBBzzzzzt

"Nine!" the officer shouts, "Zat is a plane! Zat is zee most bestest plane ever designed! Zee wildrc IFO available in three different flavors from wildrc.com!"

Another image flashes

"Plane?" our hero conjectures, hoping this one is right.

Bbbbzzzzzt

"Nine! Zat is a Kmart NSync bat-kite! Vat are you, stupid man?"

For hours the torture continues, still Melfsmite seems unable to grasp the difference between kite and IFO. But never fear, the Wildrc re-education continues.....

P.S. I really love that wildrc stuff, all in good fun...