SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2005, 11:48 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,377 Posts
Pietenpol Radiator: How to?

I have the airframe under control, and the engine pretty much handled, but I am looking for suggestions on how to reproduce a reasonable looking radiator in 1/6 scale. The shell looks like a fairly simple exercise in sheet styrene, but I don't know about the core.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2005, 12:36 PM
Lansing, Michigan
Joined Oct 2003
610 Posts
Doubt that I can be helpful, but I just couldnt resist commenting on the incredible quality of your work. If the engine looks this good, I cant imagine the plane itself.
Dont know if it would be practical, but Im picturing a heated iron that would put dimples in rows on a sheet of plastic. Getting the sheets connected to simulate the tubing would be another problem. Also, I think there are radiators made for water cooling computers, seem to have seen some somewhere, but dont know about the size. Sure would like to see the airframe...great work.
makemcool is offline Find More Posts by makemcool
Old Dec 03, 2005, 08:19 PM
em
Underwood, WA, USA
Joined Feb 2000
197 Posts
Did mine with a bit of screen and brass C-channel from some old train bits. Nipped the bass @ the corners, folded and soldered. Thought the screen might be a little less draggy. Lego pleated pipe liberated from my sons' cubic yard of same worked for the hose. If you research Piets you'll find all sorts of rad's- I went for quaint, also some whimsey can reflect the colorful types that build airplanes at home and then actually get inside them to go flying.
em is offline Find More Posts by em
Old Dec 04, 2005, 07:21 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,873 Posts
I would check a few of the Plastic Modeler sites, like the IPMS. There are companies that sell pre-cut brass sheets with just that pattern in them.

Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Dec 04, 2005, 07:31 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
If it (full size) is just a series of copper plates with vertical tubes (and most car rads are essentially that - apart from modern ones which increase the area with wrinkled ally) I'd just get a load of styrene strips and drill them to take styrene tubes, assemble with temporary spacers, and the sand the thing overall - that's the 'core'.

Headers and sides are fairly easy I'd say. Mould from epoxy putty?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Dec 04, 2005, 09:28 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,377 Posts
Makemcool: Thanks but the airframe is not yet ready for final assembly.

em: I have the same 3 view that you have, but yours seems of better quality.

mrittenger: I will do that.

Vintage. That approach has been suggested, but I worry about weight. Headers and sides I think will be styrene sheet builtup or shape out of Alumilite. Problem with the vertical "pipes" is that they are oval, not round. The penalty for building at this scale, is that the disparities become obvious.

Les
Old Dec 04, 2005, 09:43 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,873 Posts
Check here
http://www.conleyprecision.com/

He makes 1/4 scale running V8 engines, and has a T-Bucket hot rod with a T radiator. Maybe he can see you the piping?

Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:19 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda

Vintage. That approach has been suggested, but I worry about weight. Headers and sides I think will be styrene sheet builtup or shape out of Alumilite. Problem with the vertical "pipes" is that they are oval, not round. The penalty for building at this scale, is that the disparities become obvious.

Les
Oval pipes? put styrene tube in the oven,take it out and lightly roll with a rolling pin.

Ask your wife/GF/BF() what that is if you don't know ....
Old Dec 05, 2005, 07:25 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
What diameter should the tubes be in 1/6 scale? Don't put styrene tube in the oven, though, it's very hard to get them evenly heated to just the right amount that way: put the sections in a flat-bottomed pan with some water in and raise them up to almost boiling using a small amount of gas or radiant heat. The water will keep the pan bottom to a reasonably even temperature, and about 100 degrees F is all you want. Then you can roll them oval on a hard surface.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Dec 05, 2005, 09:29 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,377 Posts
OK, guys. Good words everywhere. I checked IPMS but they won't let me get anywhere without being a member, and their stuff is bound to be 1/25 or 1/32 scale, and way too small for my application.

I'll have to check out Connely and see what he has.

I like the idea of heating and rolling the tubing. I have shaped rectangular cross section styrene in the oven for cockpit opening frames, and it should work for tubing, rolled between two supports of the proper thickness.

The forword looking width of the tube should be about .026, or about 1 mm whichever you prefer.

Vintage: I use the oven for heating up my vacuum forming plastic without complaints, so I don't think she would mind.

Les
Old Dec 05, 2005, 09:31 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Work in Progress
What diameter should the tubes be in 1/6 scale? Don't put styrene tube in the oven, though, it's very hard to get them evenly heated to just the right amount that way: put the sections in a flat-bottomed pan with some water in and raise them up to almost boiling using a small amount of gas or radiant heat. The water will keep the pan bottom to a reasonably even temperature, and about 100 degrees F is all you want. Then you can roll them oval on a hard surface.
You forget us folks with AGAS...the bottom oven is 99.99 deg C..
Last edited by vintage1; Dec 05, 2005 at 09:38 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2005, 11:13 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,338 Posts
Not sure what the dimensions of a 1/6 scale Pete radiator is, but you might try thin coffee stirrers (about 6 inches or so long)--you can flatten them to make them oval with a rulers or even your fingernails.

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Dec 05, 2005, 01:33 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,860 Posts
Some ideas:
Hammer lengths of softened brass tubing to simulate oval vertical tubes. Weave fine brass wire accross radiator frame and touching tubes on both sides through close evenly spaced holes in the frame. Dip assembly in something like clear dope or white glue that will bridge between wires and tubes and fill the gaps. Airbrush the assembly to resemble model T radiator core. ( I would simply use window screen material maybe with every other wire removed but I'm sloppy)
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 05, 2005, 01:56 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
You could laser cut some 1/32" ply to look like a "grid" and then paint it, might look a little 2-D, but it would be fast and easy.

-Sky
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old Dec 06, 2005, 11:35 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,377 Posts
First, I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. There were some good one's, and some rather simplistic ones. I don't think that simple would do justice for this engine nor airplane, so things will get more complex.

The talk of flattening tubing led me off to another thought. I have flattened aluminum tubing before to make flying wire fairings to simulate flat wire, and that was quite successful, so I took a 3/32 tube, flattened it in the vice, and I think it will work. It turned out to be .042 wide. Not real convenient, but I have a 1/32 cutter for my mill, and if I joggle it a little, I should be able to cut the right size slot. I have some litho plate, so the current plan is to cut the litho plate to size, mill the slots, and CA everything together. I will first research laser cutting in San Diego, but I don't think I have much chance of that.

At least my quest for bungee material for my landing gear was successful. The local yardage shop had this stuff in 1/16 diameter at $.39 a yard.

Les