HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2005, 11:46 AM
My house
Joined Dec 2005
38 Posts
Just starting might get a heli but which one?

First of all this is my first day in this forum. I have had a traxxas electric rustler for over two years so Im not a n00b to rc at all but I dont know jack about helicopters. I want a mini heli and I know the hirobo xrb sky robo looks really good but thats the only one ive actually seen and read about. So what other good ones are there? I will be flying in the house once in a while but mostly in my garage or outside when the wind is calm. So I just need to know what other game there is out there that will be good.

Thanks in advance, greg
GerGa is offline Find More Posts by GerGa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2005, 12:02 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,735 Posts
Welcome! First get a simulator! The XRB flies quite easily, doesn't give you a good idea of what flying a regular micro is like, but they are fun too. The Hummingbird and Dragonfly (the GWS one) are good helis that are fixed pitch, The Blade is nice for a CP micro.
Art Newland is offline Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Dec 03, 2005, 12:05 PM
Joined Mar 2005
218 Posts
id first use a free simulator like fms. After u can hover and do everything like nose in tail in side in spot hovering, then decide on a heli. Sim probably isnt even close to real life, but atleast u can get used to the controls. After that you should choose between what kinda of money you want to spent. mebe something like blade cp class or trex class. Trex flies better but a lot more initial cost. Blade cp is pretty good heli for the money. I personally learned off the blade cp. Just need big area indoors with training gear and then your good.
Project is offline Find More Posts by Project
Old Dec 03, 2005, 12:13 PM
My house
Joined Dec 2005
38 Posts
Can you link me to the fms simulator. Also, I dont know what your terminalogy is cp micro? And is a blade a micro heli? And what teh trex and blade.

Thanks for the mad quick replys, Greg
Old Dec 03, 2005, 12:28 PM
Get back here, you!!
Santa Ana, California
Joined May 2005
605 Posts
Here's where you can download FMS. If you can get a cheap video game controller with 2 joysticks, that's probably the cheapest way to get a sim.

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

CP is collective pitch. Means the main rotor blades can change pitch to change altitude. Most of the better heli's are CP. FP is fixed pitch. Main rotor blade pitch stays the same so the motor changes speed to change altitude. Cheaper but less responsive. The BladeCP is a micro heli with collective pitch. It's the heli I learned on. Fairly cheap, rugged, good flyer, but a little squirrely due to its small size and light weight. TRex is also CP, slightly larger but still considered a micro. Much more stable, much more capable, but also much more expensive.

Brent.
bikenboatn is offline Find More Posts by bikenboatn
Old Dec 03, 2005, 12:58 PM
My house
Joined Dec 2005
38 Posts
Umm ok I am baffled already I have no idea what to get at all. I guess theres alot more to learn. Are there any videos of the blade or anything ? How does it fly with wind. And how would a heli with a tail rotor perform small confines of a house?

Thanks
Old Dec 03, 2005, 01:14 PM
Get back here, you!!
Santa Ana, California
Joined May 2005
605 Posts
Here's a good place to start. Lots of reading, but lots of good info.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439631

Personally, I would take all the videos with a large grain of salt. Especially any of the more professionally-done ones. Remember, an expert can make anything look easy.

Brent.
Old Dec 03, 2005, 01:28 PM
My house
Joined Dec 2005
38 Posts
Umm well idk about that I dont think that will really help me much I want help from real people. I am somewhat intimidated from all these helis. I just need something easy to fly. Arnt the helis without a tail rotor easier to fly in small spaces?
Old Dec 03, 2005, 01:51 PM
Get back here, you!!
Santa Ana, California
Joined May 2005
605 Posts
Heli's with two counter-rotating blades have no tail rotors. BladeCX, Hirobo Lama, etc. They are great if you want to fly indoors, not so great outdoors in any breeze. If you want to learn heli's the easiest way possible, these are probably the best way to go. Then you can get yourself a heli with a tail rotor. Heli's with tail rotors are generally more capable of advanced maneuvers, but are generally harder to fly. I say "generally" because there are exceptions to everything. The exceptions are most of the Chinese clones (bad copies of good designs).

If you want to fly outdoors, I would recommend starting with a BladeCP and limit yourself to calm conditions until you get used to it. Many people recommend starting with a FP heli like a GWS Dragonfly because they are simpler and stronger. Personally, my first heli was a FP clone and it never did fly, so I wouldn't recommend that. Like yourself, I've been doing RC for years so I thought a FP heli would be do-able. After bashing it up for a month, I was about ready to quit because I thought it was just me. I read so many good things about the BCP that I got one. It actually hovered (admittedly just briefly) right out of the box. So it wasn't me after all! I've been flying mine for over 4 months now and still love it. It even handles a reasonable amount of wind, unlike many FP heli's. My BCP has worked out great as a trainer for my larger heli (MX400) because once you learn how to fly something squirrely like the BCP, the larger ones are comparatively simple.

Just my 2 cents.

Brent.
Old Dec 03, 2005, 03:23 PM
My house
Joined Dec 2005
38 Posts
If I got a bcp how would I do flying it? What exactly is the capabilities in flight with a biginner pilot? And what other good helis are there?As is ones with rear rotor and ones without rear rotors. Also, about how fast can helis with no rear rotor go?

Thanks greg
Old Dec 03, 2005, 03:41 PM
Get back here, you!!
Santa Ana, California
Joined May 2005
605 Posts
How much patience do you have? Learning rc heli's is not easy. It takes time, practice, patience, and money. If you don't have a lot of those items, you may want to reconsider getting into heli's. I started in RC sailplanes back in 1976, so I've got plenty of RC experience. I've been flying my BCP for over 4 months now and still consider myself just slightly better than a beginner. I can do tail-in hover, side-in hover, and forward flight. Still working on nose-in hover. Even though I can fly fixed-wing aircraft inverted no problem, I still can't even get the heli sim to fly inverted w/o crashing. So it takes a while.

In the hands of a good pilot, a properly set-up BCP can do basic aerobatics, ie. rolls, loops, inverted, etc. If you've never flown rc heli's before, it will be a long time before you can make a BCP do that. Even a stock BCP will go way faster than a beginning pilot can keep up with.

Most heli's w/o rear tail rotors are limited to no-wind conditions, basically indoors only or outdoors only in a dead calm.

Generally speaking, the pilot is the biggest limitation of most heli's performance.

Brent.
Old Dec 03, 2005, 04:54 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
for your first heli, if you want to have fun right out of the box, you should get the Blade CX or Hirobo XRB. The CX is faster and costs less than the XRB but the XRB is a durable easy to fix machine.
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 03, 2005, 07:30 PM
RIP Sheba :(
Brentwood, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,123 Posts
Just starting off myself on a Spin Blade from Radio Shack ($60). Lots of mods and tweaks over at the multi-blade forum. It's very stable, easy, and fun to fly and doesn't need alot of room to fly in. I can fly it in my 12' by 12' den. It's only 2 channels, but its simplicity is a blessing to the novice heli pilot.

Rob
Robster is offline Find More Posts by Robster
Old Dec 04, 2005, 12:13 AM
USA, WV, Charles Town
Joined Mar 2005
631 Posts
I cannot recommend this strongly enough. If you're just starting with the heli idea, the Blade CX is THE way to go.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=EFLH1200

Although Horizion Hobby shows it on backorder, there are other internet vendors that probably have it in stock. I wish this had been out when I got interested in helis. I would have saved a lot of time, money, and frustration. I tried both FP and CP conventional helis at first, but didn't get proficient at anything but crashing.

I bought my Blade CX on Friday, and after several flights around the house, I took one of my FP helis out of mothballs and hovered it successfully a little for the very first time. The BCX is a great trainer.

For quality, availability of inexpensive replacement parts, and package price, you can't beat the Blade CX. That being said, buy a few extra inner shafts with the flybar holder. The part number is EFLH1212. You'll need them, but they're not hard to replace. Inexpensive too, like the rest of the parts.

Also check out the discussion threads on the Blade CX in the multi-rotor heli forum.
aeronuts is offline Find More Posts by aeronuts
Old Dec 04, 2005, 12:32 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,580 Posts
Yep, blade CX rocks, also the esky lama 2 (or co co lama as its also called) is supposed to be about as good, though all I have is the Blade CX, want to see how stable? Here is a vid of mine on the first battery pack after I opened the box (I did have heli experience before I got this to be fair...)

VIDEO - Blade CX

If you are going to be doing most of your flying indoors, definitely get a multi rotor heli like the blade CX, as single rotor heli's are too big and unstable to do anything more than hover inside a house... thats why I sold my dragonfly and got a blade CX...

If you want to fly more outdoors then the blade CP might be a better choice as fixed pitch heli's dont do real well in the wind... you really cant have both, you can have a good indoor heli or a good outdoor heli... sure you can bring an outdoor heli inside, but that would be like bringing an Indy car to a go cart track... you can do it, but you have to be real careful and accidents are messy
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur