HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2005, 11:49 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
Comments on the RnR Genesis SE?

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any either positive or negative firsthand experience with the RnR Products Genesis SE?
Thanks in advance,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2005, 12:51 PM
United States, PA, Perry
Joined Apr 2002
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any either positive or negative firsthand experience with the RnR Products Genesis SE?
Thanks in advance,
Target
A friend of mine had one he bought used, and flew it here at my house about 5 years ago. He had it around for a couple years. Other than being an odd looking TD plane, it performed very well, was strong, and a good flyer. I have owned 7 RnR planes, and still have two Emeralds built by them and sold by Skip Miller. All were/are excellent sailplanes, no complaints. Bill G.
Hawksnest is offline Find More Posts by Hawksnest
Old Dec 02, 2005, 01:11 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
Thanks,
Bill G

Target
Old Dec 02, 2005, 02:00 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,932 Posts
Slopeflyer 33 and I both have them. I havent got mine in the air yet, but I've flown his. Its a TD plane, not a slope racer, however in light lift its very quick. The wing is pretty minimal, and some of the older ones tend to get loose hingelines in the skin hinges due to age. The T-tails all seem to wobble a bit. The SE has a larger rudder which is pretty effective, as I was skidding Bruces (slopeflyer 33)around the other weekend. I paid $300 with servos, but I'm sure you could do better if you look around. Theres a guy in NorCal who has a few new, unassembled if you want one.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Dec 02, 2005, 02:34 PM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
Its a good TD plane. Several people flew them in the local SBSS contests before they lost their field and did well with them.
Walter
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
Old Dec 02, 2005, 02:41 PM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
I have a fuse and tail that I got from Scott Meader a looooong time ago. Still haven't found the energy to make a set of wings for it yet. Maybe once I get my vacum bagging setup together.

-hutch
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Dec 02, 2005, 04:06 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
Thanks all.
It sounds like a good inexpensive way to get my feet wet in TD if I find the right example.

T
Old Dec 02, 2005, 08:54 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
555 Posts
I have a Genesis, not sure if it's the SE version or not, it has a larger than stock rudder though.

Comments:
1) It's built like a tank, I learned to winch launch on this airplane, I did it with no fear and the airplane is still alive

2) Because of #1 it seems to have a little more weight at the tips and has quite a bit of roll inertia. Coupled with smaller ailerons it is very necessary to be able to mix flaps into roll control. Once the proper mix is established it flies well but isn't going to whip around like a DLG.

3) Because of #1 mine comes it at around an 11oz/ft wingloading. The SD7037 airfoil carries the weight well but it isn't going to float with some of the real lightweight planes out there.

4) If you end up with one you might consider putting a trip on the lower surface of the horizontal stab. I'm told it has a dead spot in the lift curve that can affect handling, with the trip however pitch control is quite smooth. Mine is tripped and I'm never noticed anything odd in the pitch handling.

5) Under some conditions it can have some odd winch launching behavior, perhaps because of the high center of mass. Make sure you have lots of line tension and giving it a harder than normal heave to keep the airspeed up can go a long way to correct this.

Summary:

I just looked over what I wrote and it looks like I have a negative opinion of the airplane, that is not the case at all. Overall it is a good airplane, I keep mine as my main backup and foul weather airplane because it's so robust. If you've flown unlimited slopers and want to try TD it isn't a bad plane to start with. I might even be convinced to part with mine for a very good price (or trade)
shoe is online now Find More Posts by shoe
Old Dec 02, 2005, 09:34 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,672 Posts
Thanks for the input, Andy.
Precise as usual, and much appreciated.

Happy Holidays,
Target
Old May 15, 2009, 04:19 AM
Slope convert/addict
Romford, Essex. UK
Joined Mar 2006
208 Posts
Hi,

I have been offered a Genesis that I would like to use on the slope. Anyone out there use them as slope flyers ?

Cheers.
DelUK is offline Find More Posts by DelUK