HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 30, 2002, 01:44 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
Multiplex Twinstar, Cargo, etc. - What type of Paint?

What kind of paint will work on planes such as the Multiplex Twinstar or Cargo? It's a weird, grey colored foam. I already tryed Krylon, but it started to eat the foam.
sgil2001 is offline Find More Posts by sgil2001
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2002, 01:50 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Testers Spray Model Enamel should work fine. I have never found a foam it affects.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old May 30, 2002, 03:26 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
My cargo is costed with water based polyurethane and I used Testors Model Master on it with no problems. I realized the bottem needed to be gray so I figured that since it had Model master and polyurethane I would be safe using a regular spray paint. I found out immediately which areas of the wing I had sanded through the urethane. Shhssh!

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old May 30, 2002, 03:39 PM
Bath, PA
Joined Nov 2001
301 Posts
I don't know how well it's going to hold up, but I used regular outside latex paint from Sears.

However, I would recommend a thinner paint if you can find some that won't eat the foam. I used my airbrush with the latex and it was absolute HELL trying to get it to airbrush smooth and still cover. Just too dog gone glooby, even thinned.

I did ok with the dark colors, but the white just kept running. I ended up putting the white on with a brush at full strength from the can.

Regards,
Lee Snover
lsnover is offline Find More Posts by lsnover
Old May 30, 2002, 03:47 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Floquil makes military colors in waterbased paints if you want to airbrush. You can find floquil at a hobby shop that carries model railroad stuff.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old May 30, 2002, 04:14 PM
Crowthorne, Berkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2002
211 Posts
On the Cargo and Twinstar, Humbrol enamel works fine. If this isn't available in the States or elsewhere, I'd guess that Revell or any other plastic modeller's paint will be as good.

You can use acrylic spray on the Twinjet as it's polypropylene as opposed to polystyrene - I used model car Lexan body paint.
TrevC is offline Find More Posts by TrevC
Old May 30, 2002, 04:28 PM
London
Joined Jul 2001
1,034 Posts
or just use art acrylic.......
i painted my twinstar in two tone camo, grey, dark grey and a large part of it twinstar grey i only used 60ml of the stuff and used a nice brush to get control....
looks real stealthy and everyone always comes over to look and make a comment e.g. is THAT a twinstar?!or if it's a small kid, ARMY PLANE!.......and with graupner CAM speed props and nice aluminium adapters, it's taken more seriously.......

Peter
Peter W is offline Find More Posts by Peter W
Old May 31, 2002, 06:45 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
Use acrylic to paint Cargo

sgil2001,

Like Peter, I just used tubes of Acrylic paint from a local art suppliers to paint my cargo, You can see the results in the pictures I posted in the thread at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=42012

(Luckily for me the pictures aren't good enough for you to see how scrappy my hand painted keylines are when you see them real close up - but from a distance and in the air it don't look too bad - if I say so myself!)

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer