SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2005, 09:18 AM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,357 Posts
Build Log
Topaz e-M build thread

Anyone interested? I noticed someone started a build thread but never finished. I have the 3.5M full house version and plan to run a Neu 1506 1.5D motor and will try different battery combination.
Jim Frahm is offline Find More Posts by Jim Frahm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2005, 10:09 AM
Western Montana
Joined Mar 2005
357 Posts
Yes! Very interested in this glider. Also how it compares in quality and flight characteristics to your 3.45 Graphite.

David M
David McNeill is offline Find More Posts by David McNeill
Old Dec 03, 2005, 05:21 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,357 Posts
Okay, the e-Graphite is done, the bench is clean (kindda) and I'm ready to start the build, or should we call it what it really is "a servo install". My first impression is , it's a very nice plane and looks like a AVA fuse with a Graphite wing.
Last edited by Jim Frahm; Aug 07, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2005, 05:26 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,357 Posts
Here's a few problems I noticed after closer inspection. Easy to fix, just a pain to deal with when you purchase a new plane.
Old Dec 03, 2005, 05:32 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,357 Posts
When I compare this with the Graphite, the graphite comes out on top, but it cost more too. The hinges for the flaps on the Topaz are a bit lose. The control horn wood mount blocks in the wings are smaller than those in the graphite, plus the horn mounting slot is not cut either.
Old Dec 03, 2005, 06:41 PM
Western Montana
Joined Mar 2005
357 Posts
Catch-Air, I can tell, this is going to be a great build thread! Great pictures and you have a good ability to zero in on the subtle differences that are the reasons for chosing one plane over another.

I thought your description of looking like an AVA with a Graphite wing was spot on... That's what caught my eye.

David M
Old Dec 03, 2005, 09:25 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,357 Posts
Thanks David!

I fixed the problem areas. I used a self made carbon washer glued over the top hing, repaired the covering, and tightend the aileron hing with another self made washer.

First it's time to pick the servos, then install. I have DS 368's, HS 5125's, HS 85's, and HS 81's, but I'm not sure which I'll use. The HS 5125's won't fit without removing the bottom servo mount. Any suggestions?

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McNeill
Catch-Air, I can tell, this is going to be a great build thread! Great pictures and you have a good ability to zero in on the subtle differences that are the reasons for chosing one plane over another.

I thought your description of looking like an AVA with a Graphite wing was spot on... That's what caught my eye.

David M
Old Dec 04, 2005, 01:44 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Jim,

Here is the installion on the Rudder and elevator servos installation on my RES version. The HS-125 just fits inside the fin.

Also added a piece of piano wire on the tail from the boom to the bottom fin to protect and sub-fin from landing damage. The wire will help the fin to skip over any obsticles.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Last edited by bhchan; Dec 04, 2005 at 01:54 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2005, 01:01 PM
Western Montana
Joined Mar 2005
357 Posts
Brian, very nice, clean installation! How does it fly? Can you compare it to an AVA or Graphite?

Jim, Servo choices--seems most are using the HS 5125s or 125s in the tail group. On the wings my first choice would be a Futaba 3150 digital followed by the DS 368, and then probably the HS 85. Metal gear for the flaps, nylon for the ailerons. But then I haven't built one yet...

I use Volz in my 3 meter molded but they might be an overkill in a light-weight 3 meter like this.

David M
Old Dec 04, 2005, 05:57 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
David,

I have an original Graphite D-box. 3.1 m. I ran it on 7 cells, same as the Topaz. I like the Topaz simplistic approach. It preforms as well as the full house graphite but much less equipment. The Topaz climbs better as it is lighter than the Graphite. The original Topaz(non-powered version) flys like a Gentle Lady(not even an Oly II). With the added weight of the electric equipment, it perform much better. I don't see why you need to go to a full house plane anymore. I am actually going to carry 12 ounce of ballast on the non-powered version to make it flys better. The only think I would change on the Topaz RES is to cut down the size of the spoiler. It is WAY too big. I guess I should change my avatar from the Graphite to the Topaz!!

Brian, An EAJ
Old Dec 04, 2005, 09:28 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jun 2005
5,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
David,

I have an original Graphite D-box. 3.1 m. I ran it on 7 cells, same as the Topaz. I like the Topaz simplistic approach. It preforms as well as the full house graphite but much less equipment. The Topaz climbs better as it is lighter than the Graphite. The original Topaz(non-powered version) flys like a Gentle Lady(not even an Oly II). With the added weight of the electric equipment, it perform much better. I don't see why you need to go to a full house plane anymore. I am actually going to carry 12 ounce of ballast on the non-powered version to make it flys better. The only think I would change on the Topaz RES is to cut down the size of the spoiler. It is WAY too big. I guess I should change my avatar from the Graphite to the Topaz!!

Brian, An EAJ
But quality is dreck,actually you have got what you payed for $200 less os some like that.Don't change the avatar.
D...
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Dec 06, 2005, 08:23 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,357 Posts
I've picked the servos and installed the tail group. I'm still short one JR 368 so if anyone has one 4 sell, let me know.
Old Dec 06, 2005, 11:00 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
You probably won't need a digi servo for elevator either, they pull more current and with the long wire, the voltage would drop a bit. And on the rudder, just make sure you don't move it after touch the ground.

Brian, an EAJ
Old Dec 06, 2005, 11:34 PM
MSgt, USAF Ret.
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Nov 2003
1,357 Posts
I was a little worried about that, but I had this odd ball digi servo and no home for it. But I do have a 125 as well. Do you fly with a receiver pack or BEC?

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
You probably won't need a digi servo for elevator either, they pull more current and with the long wire, the voltage would drop a bit. And on the rudder, just make sure you don't move it after touch the ground.

Brian, an EAJ
Old Dec 07, 2005, 01:24 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Jim,

I don't use BEC unless there is no room for a pack. On high power stuff( I pull about 85+ amp on the Topaz-E), I always use arx battery, even that mean I have to charge it between flight. On my Topaz-E RES, I use a 4x1650 nimh to power the three servos. I could fly for 2+ hr safely.

In your case you have ail on the wing to "steer" the plane. For me, the rudder is the only thing I have to control the direction of the plane, so a more powerful rudder servo is justified.

Brian, an EAJ