SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2002, 12:08 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Build Your Own Defense Budget

I found an interesting site on "building your own defense budget". It asks 10 questions and offers 3 choices for each question, then calculates your personal "defense budget".
I found it interesting. Try it out and report your findings - it only takes a few minutes.
http://www.nyu.edu/globalbeat/defensebudget/

Mine was 258 billion, a decrease of 38 billion over todays budget. I purposely chose to decrese spending, just as an exercise. I'm not sure I'd advocate that in "real world" conditions.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old May 30, 2002, 12:20 PM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Mine was 285 mill. I went for reducing our overseas commitment and nuclear forces, while stepping up modernization of equipment.

logan5
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old May 30, 2002, 12:25 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
$297.5 billion for me. Get out your checkbooks

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old May 30, 2002, 03:06 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
305.5B for me.

Must be a liberal warmonger.
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old May 30, 2002, 07:38 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
mine was $280 billion; spend more $ on technology and Ops and less on large troop commitments
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Old May 31, 2002, 07:31 AM
ORF
Southern US
Joined May 2002
39 Posts
Unfortunately, the exercise has been pretty well rendered moot by the War on Terrorism. In the days following 9/11, in our little burg in NW Florida, deputy sheriffs were guarding small power substations around the clock, and the podunk airport had (& still has) a vehicle check point prior to the terminal where trunks, gloveboxs & consoles are checked for ???. You can be sure the federal government will end up paying for all this through the "programs" put in place.
In the national defense picture, 9/11 has changed everything. When anyone raises a voice to proceed carefully, they will be accused of being "soft on terrorism". The Chiefs of Staff are probably ecstatic about future defense funding.
I spent 22 years in the military & saw many instances of underfunding (and overfunding, as well). It was frequently a problem of misallocation of funds, rather than underfunding.
Anyway, although my results of this exercise came out saving a little money, it's invalid after the events of 9/11.
Cheers,
BB
bigbear is offline Find More Posts by bigbear
Old Jun 02, 2002, 03:12 AM
For the toggle switches
Joined Apr 2002
88 Posts
298 bill.
i think i am a bit of a warmonger too!!

Brig on the b-52's
bryn Bithell is offline Find More Posts by bryn Bithell