Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 01, 2005, 02:48 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
Cool
E-Flite Blade CP Acrobatic Videos

Let's post our videos of the Blade CP doing some of the mild acrobatics that this heli is capable of. It would be a great place for people looking to buy this heli to see exactly what it's capable of instead of marketing hype.

I have personally attempted to do a few loops and a few rolls with my heli but they have been extremely ugly. I have not attempted to get the heli into an inverted hover yet. It seems that the majority of the videos that I see out there are of the heli just hovering around the room. Let's see some video of what this heli can do in it's stock setup.

I'll start out with one of my own videos.

First Attempt at Looping and Rolling the E-Flite Blade CP

My setup when the video was taken: TP 900mAh 11.1v Lipo, 9 tooth pinion, Symetrical Wood blades. Everything else was stock.

P.S. I know that horizon has video of the heli inverted but they don't show how they got it there.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2005, 03:31 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
Not to shabby video, but I only saw it flip once and it looked like a rock falling from the sky, could it not hold itself upside down?
Z400Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Z400Flyer
Old Dec 01, 2005, 03:44 PM
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
After the loop I come around and then do a roll. It's kinda hard to see I guess if you don't know what to look for. I start the loop at 1:59 and I start the roll at 2:25 into the video.

It does look like it falls like a rock. This is mainly why I was asking. I've now done about 4 or 5 loops with the heli and 3 or 4 rolls with it. In my limited experience so far the heli really falls out of the sky when you get towards the top of the loop. While they have gotten a little smoother it takes a lot to flip it over on it's back. I've found that you have to get it really hauling to get it to loop well. I have managed about a 5 second inverted hover at the top of one loop so it can hold itself inverted.

I'm mainly interested to see if other people have tried acrobatics and what their experiences are with the heli.
Old Dec 01, 2005, 04:16 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Nov 2005
1,014 Posts
a heli dropping that fast, I wouldn't trust it inverted lol.
Z400Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Z400Flyer
Old Dec 01, 2005, 06:16 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,110 Posts
Due to the relatively low disk loading of the BCP, you do need to keep the speed up (and perform manuevers directly into the wind) to achieve clean looking loops and rolls. With practice, the BCP can actually perform very nice looking loops and rolls equipped with the Aerobatic Enhancement Kit and 3S LiPo packs (Trust me, its not marketing hype as we've flown dozens of demos and shown it do exactly that ). Weve actually looped and rolled the stock model too, but that does take a little extra work

A few tips on flying aerobatics with the BCP:

- Keep the speed up
- Keep the nose into the wind
- Most people find the heli rolls more axial and comfortable to the right (this is the nature of most clock-wise rotation main blade machines), though it can be rolled to the left as well
- Many people find it easiest to half roll into an inverted hover (you can actually see this very clearly in the videos posted on our site...thats how we got inverted outdoors and indoors too )
- Before attempting inverted flight, be sure you have the throttle trim set so that with the throttle stick centered in "Idle Up" you have 0 degrees of pitch (and equal travel both positive and negative)

Of course aerobatic performance is even better with the Bell Mixer Upgrade Kit installed (Due very soon), and you can see videos of myself and Ron Osinski flying our BCPs at the World Micro Heli Cup here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=600

My model is flown relatively "stock" with the Aerobatic Enhancement Kit (w/wood blades), Bell Mixer Upgrade Kit and Thunder Power Pro Lite 3S 730mAh packs (I like the 730s indoors and the 860s-900s outdoors for all out aerobatics). Yes, I am using the stock transmitter, 4-in-1 unit, motor from the AEK, etc Aside from my nervous thumbs (first time flying to music and competiting in a heli contest), the heli performs extremely well with this setup and many spectators/BCP owners were amazed to see just how well "stock" components can work.

Ron's model is flown with "seperates" using a Park 370 4100kv brushless main motor (8T HPI Micro RS4 pinion), stock tail motor and JR 460T HH gyro with CF blades. As you can see, his model flies ROCK solid and has incredible cyclic and tail response/hold. He is also using the new Spektrum DX6 transmitter and receiver. The rolling tic-tocs he does with this model are very, very cool!

Keep practicing...after a while Im confident youll have those loops and rolls smoothed out nicely!
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2005, 06:52 PM
Joined May 2005
1,051 Posts
is that as fast as your BCP goes??

that's pretty slow, but very manageable. now i want a BCP to mess around with lol.

my x400 moves soo fast in FFF that i cant control it fast enough and it's scary at times.
jh4db536 is offline Find More Posts by jh4db536
Old Dec 01, 2005, 08:01 PM
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
Jason,

Thanks for the tips These are the kinds of things I wanna see. Unfortunatly videos from RCUniverse are not working right now at least for me on 2 different machines. I click the links and nothing happens on any video on that site.

I only said marketing hype cause other than E-Flites videos I've not seen video from others showing inverted flight or even loops and rolls. I am anxiously awaiting the new head. I do love the heli a lot and can't wait for it to be more responsive. I too have found that rolling the heli over is easier than trying to loop it. I loose a LOT less ground rolling it than looping.

jh4db536,
no that's not as fast as the heli can go. I now almost double that speed before I set up to go into a loop. My heli's been grounded due to a bad crash for a while now though so I've not been able to attempt another video.
Old Dec 01, 2005, 08:49 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,822 Posts
Jason,
I must be doing something wrong as I can find no videos to view or download.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Dec 01, 2005, 09:52 PM
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
Ah the links in the article are messed up. Here's the links that Jason was mentioning:

Jason Merkle Day 1
Jason Merkle Day 2
Ron Osinski Day 1
Ron Osinski Day 2

All I gotta say is you make it looks so easy with the Blade Jason I can't wait to get my hands on that new Bell-Hiller head. It looks so much smoother in flight.
Old Dec 01, 2005, 10:44 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2001
326 Posts
Jason,

what esc is Ron using on the tail motor separates set-up? I have a blade on separates, with a gy240 gyro and phoenix 10 on a medusa 4100kv brushless tail, and the tail doesn't hold well at all. Any suggestions?
wsilvio is offline Find More Posts by wsilvio