HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2005, 08:37 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Just ordered a JW60.. Couple Q's...

From what I hear it should be a very simple, quick, build.....

I am curious though as to why it's rather heavy stock. 35oz seems kinda heavy for a 60" plane. Does it use heavy wing spars?

I know it RIPS the backside as is, but do you think it could be built around 25oz and add a ballast tube when needed? Just a thought...

Any other suggestions??

Thank!!!

Don
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2005, 08:45 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
a Pretty common weight for the 60" JW is 30-35oz... 35oz is building it pretty beefy..

for Hardcore DS 40-50oz is common.... and you will be very very very surprised how light of lift a 40oz JW can actually fly in... a stock build in the low 30oz range will fly the a VERY wide range of conditions.. im talking roughly 5mph on a good slope and it will cruise along with just about anything...

build it like the instructions say and even if you do hit the 35oz mark, you will have no problem flying in the same air as a light moth.... you'll see.. it will fly LIGHT air just fine at 35oz...

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Nov 30, 2005, 08:53 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
The JW has a thick airfoil that generates a lot of lift, even at slower speeds. Mine was built to specs using Ultracote, 85mgs and an Electron 6 rx and came in at 32 ozs.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Dec 01, 2005, 11:15 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Sweet thanks guys....

I guess I'll just build it stock and slap in a ballast tube just in case...

I want the shape the fuse pretty good, so I may save a tad there, but I'm not too worried about it if it flies great in light wind...

Don..

BTW, JOe, just brought home the wife's 91' Cherokee... woooo hoooo....

I guess I have a USV now...
Old Dec 01, 2005, 11:35 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUREN

I want the shape the fuse pretty good, so I may save a tad there, but I'm not too worried about it if it flies great in light wind...
I wouldn't say that it flies "great" in light wind. It does fly, but my JW (which is CGd right where Bowman says - I think 2 1/4" back) is really a DS machine. It kicks in the DS groove, but I don't fly it on the frontside if I can help it. It's kind of a pig at lower speeds.
Old Dec 01, 2005, 12:44 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
yeah, in light wind its not Jaw dropping... it gets ripping on the frontside in 15+ it will just about hang with anything out there... 3 JW's were hanging JUST fine with 3 halfpipes at parker 2 weekends ago... no noticeable difference...

the great thing about the JW (other than DS speed, retention, and Durability) is that the Inverted performance is awesome! its right up there with the Halfpipe for inverted flight....

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Dec 02, 2005, 10:47 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Thanks guys...

I'll definately have a "light wind" plane, and I can't wait to build the JW...

Heck, that strange wind day at Parker 2 weeks ago they were flying great on the frontside... That's what made me really want one. That and watching them "piledrive" strait in on the backside, bouce, and basically keep flying...

Don
Old Dec 02, 2005, 10:49 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
I don't know how it was blowing that day at Parker, but as a general rule, the frontside of Parker is going to offer more lift than most places with the same wind. The spots I fly at don't hold a candle to Parker on the front (and certainly not on the back).
Old Dec 02, 2005, 12:44 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined Sep 2004
999 Posts
Its not easy to do a ballast per se on the JW becasue the spar sits on the CG. Better to build it a little heavier. Some guys put slugs on the underside of the fuse. Taped on decoy weights also work well here also.

BTW, put in a trailing spar and it will be even tougher. My first one lasted two days of DS training before tearing the wings off at the root. Now I am putting off building another. Ugh...

/Adam
sekollera is offline Find More Posts by sekollera
Old Dec 07, 2005, 03:19 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Awesome guys.....

K, got the wings set with the spars all PU'd in place, and might I add, DAMN THESE WINGS ARE STIFF!!!!!! You could pretty much support 50lbs in the center of the wing and it wouldn't even flinch!!!

Another question...

After all's said and done, "about" how much extra nose weight is needed? I know this is a pretty vague question as the gear used will determin changes but I quess my question would be..... What are you guys running, and how much extra nose weight do YOU use? If any at all... I want to try and build the wings up STRONGF, without having to add any center weight if possible, and still keep the AUW around stock...

Don
Old Dec 07, 2005, 03:30 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
I needed very little noseweight - definitely less than 2 oz and probably less than 1 1/2 IIRC. I don't see why you couldn't use a Gulp-style fuse mounted ballast tube if you really wanted to. Get 1/2 ID brass tube from the hobby store and center it on the CG. You may never need it or use it, but it'll be there.
Old Dec 07, 2005, 03:36 PM
The End
AREA-52, Oceanside Southern Killafornia
Joined Dec 2003
393 Posts
I think I am getting one for Christmas. The other night, the doorbell rang so I went to see who it was. Well, there was nobody, then I looked to my left and there was a box with Bowman letter head. I know the Mrs. has been talking to IRJ, and I wonder.....
THend is offline Find More Posts by THend
Old Dec 07, 2005, 03:47 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
That BETTER be the reason she was talkin' to Rick James, anyway!
Old Dec 07, 2005, 05:01 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
I'm Rick James, BIH !!!

I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
Old Dec 07, 2005, 05:39 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekollera
Its not easy to do a ballast per se on the JW becasue the spar sits on the CG.
Could always build it with two ballast tubes, one in front and one behind
the spar, and just load up with equal amount of weight. That also
lets you make the tubes pretty short to keep the mass inboard
to avoid increasing yaw inertia.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member