HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:44 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
Fastest Set up for 36" Wing??

What is the fastest setup for this size plane. Motor, batt, and prop?

Thanks,

Brian
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2005, 02:23 PM
High Flyer
Northern, NJ
Joined Nov 2004
60 Posts
Not enough info

Your question is very open ended. It's kind of the same as asking what is the fastest compact car, with what motor, tires, gears, exhaust.

Your going to get back all kinds of answer.

One important things to keep in mind, however is:

How much equipment you could fit in the airfoil. I say this because with a thinner airfoil, you'll be limited to the amount of batteries you can possible put in the wing. Since this will limit or "not-limit" what kind of Motor / ESC combo you can use due to Amp draw.

If you dont really have a limitation on this than the more LiPo battery voltage you can send to the motor along with Battery Mah the faster you might be able to go.

If you do some searching around this forum you'll find that when it comes to whats the fastest setup, you cant really go wrong trying to speak to Klique(Rc Group Username). The man has been there done that, with just about every kind of flying wing setup.

Hope this helps you get started...

Rizza
Rizza is offline Find More Posts by Rizza
Old Nov 30, 2005, 03:32 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
I know almost nothing about wings, but I'd guess that you work out the highest stall speed you are comfortable flying (or launching and landing), say 20mph (9m/s), then calculate the weight that will give you this for your wing area (say 0.2m^2).

There's a useful calculator here
http://www.flyingsites.co.uk/downloads/
that gives a max weight of 1kg

In theory:
lift=weight= max lift co-efficient * density of air * wing area * speed ^2
'max lift co-efficient' and 'density of air' are both about 1, but I must have got something wrong because it doesn't work out...

Anyway, subtract the weight of the airframe, plus a bit for the radio gear, giving about 700g

Allow about 75% of that for the lipos, say 500g

If you don't want to use a BEC, you will probably be using a 4s battery. That's about a 4s 5000mAh,

If you believe the 20c ratings, that's capable of 100A. At 14v that's well over 1000W,which is way out of my experience of motors but it tells you what size ESC you need.

Of course, 20mph is a pretty high stall speed, if you go to 15mph you have to halve the AUW, and your battery weight drops by even more.

So, how did I do? Are any of those numbers even in the right ball-park?
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Nov 30, 2005, 03:49 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,048 Posts
Wow, you guys are getting way too technical for me..haha. All I wanted to see is waht motor and prop would be best and would find a way to make it work from there. It seems the 16/25/3 is a pretty good motor for what I want from searching around and see on a 4.75x4.75 prop on 6s a guy got a 150mph prop speed and a 7x5 prop on 5s I think it was was another option. Might try that motor.

Thanks,

Brian
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Nov 30, 2005, 04:02 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
It's a technical subject - but you can always just copy someone else who had good results. Personally I like to understand what's going on.

However, remember that it's the battery that powers the plane.
The motor is just part of the transmission, it has to be capable of handling the power from the battery, and 'geared' to turn at the right speed, but it isn't where the power comes from.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett