HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2005, 04:23 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Air Lark or Dragon Fly 1/64 or Dragon Fly King

I'm confused about the difference between the airlark, dragonfly king, and the dragonfly 1/64 mini

Is there any difference?

I have read that the air lark is the best one, but then i have read if you order the dragonfly king from hobbytron at http://www.hobbytron.com/ElectricRCM...elicopter.html , you end up getting the airlark even though it says its a dragon fly (not the king).

the one on hobbytron is showing this one: http://www.emaxinc.com/1mirarecorch.html which is called the Dragon Fly 1/64 Mini Radio Remote Control R/C Helicopter

Heres what i am seeing:

Dragon Fly king HX-242: http://www.raidentech.com/dr3wosmmirch.html
Dragon Fly 1/64 Mini: http://www.emaxinc.com/1mirarecorch.html
Air Lark: http://www.emaxinc.com/airlasmmirar.html

All three are for sale on this site and you can see they show them as seperate helicopters: http://store.emaxinc.com/rchelicopters.html

kinda confusing!
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:45 AM
United States, KS, Coffeyville
Joined Aug 2005
701 Posts
I have the Dragonfly King from HobbyTron ( I did not get an Airlark when I ordered the King from them) and it is the same as the one you found at emaxinc. Even though emaxinc shows a Dragonfly King and a Dragonfly 1/64 as 2 separate helis, they are the same thing, maybe a different color. If you look at the box pic for the Dragonfly 1/64 on emaxinc's site you can see it says Dragonfly King on the top of the box, the same as the other Dragonfly they have listed.

Mine worked fine for 3 flights then the lower rotor motor quit working. I'm gonna try exchanging it for another at HobbyTron. The Airlark from what I hear is supossed to be the better helicopter. They look identical to the Dragonfly's except for the color scheme; However, if I were buying this again I would get the Airlark over the Dragonfly King...According to a thread I read here awhile back the Dragonfly King is prone to motors quitting for no reason and has less gears than the Airlark has. Apparently the Airlark has 3 gears for all the rotors instead of 2. Go for the Airlark, or even better go for the Spin Blade from Radio Shack. They are nearly indestructible, and are very fun. I let my 7 year old triplets fly mine and they have let it fall from the ceiling of a Gymnasium to the floor with zero damage...

Good luck...
Snooptalian is offline Find More Posts by Snooptalian
Old Dec 06, 2005, 08:30 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1 Posts
dragonfly king/mini

I have the dragonfly mini from hobbytron. I bought 1 and 2 of my co-workers also bought one. we can barely get them to hover and none of us can get it to fly forward. any ideas?
duckman5 is offline Find More Posts by duckman5
Old Dec 09, 2005, 07:54 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Yeah I got mine (dragonfly king).... piece of junk.. hovers, while spinning, for about 10 seconds and dies.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Jan 07, 2006, 08:47 AM
Beirut, Lebanon
Joined Dec 2005
79 Posts
Happy Dragonfly King owner

Spinning and power cut-out, sounds like you have two issues - torque imbalance and a bad battery. My King flew out of the box and would still be flying if I hadn't burned out a motor brush in a crash. Gotta be quick on that throttle-chop if a rotor binds up, or it's bye-bye brushes. fyi, I get complete power cut-out soon after the batt runs down to the point the heli won't lift off. After a very decent flight time, more than ten minutes. So early cut-out would suggest a battery that isn't holding a charge, or malfunctioning charger.

IMHO, you get what you pay for with the Dragonfly King. Expect to fix it/tweak it/mod it more than you fly it, and you'll be satisfied.

Anyone know a good salvage source for 10mm - 12mm motors?

Devon in Beirut, Lebanon
intuit is offline Find More Posts by intuit
Old Jan 10, 2006, 01:33 PM
Joined Apr 2004
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman5
I have the dragonfly mini from hobbytron. I bought 1 and 2 of my co-workers also bought one. we can barely get them to hover and none of us can get it to fly forward. any ideas?
I purchased mine recently and noticed a similiar issue with the tail motor. Mine will fly for quite a while on a charge (about 20 minutes). It seems like the power available to the rear motor is directly proportional to the amount of power you are feeding the main rotors. In my case, I'm think because I have low ceilings that I don't have enough "height" to give the rear motor enough power. I think saw a thread somewhere on RC Groups that was talking about the dragonfly king, and what one guy tried was to increase the size of the blade in the back effectively, but adding some scotch tape to it, to increase the blade size. Not sure if this worked or not.

The motor looks like one of those in the little "ZIP ZAP" type of micro cars, and I know from experience that some motors in those cars are better than others, so perhaps this is also an issue.

So far, it seems like a pretty fun copter. I've even lifted a few objects with it
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208
Old Jan 11, 2006, 02:58 AM
Beirut, Lebanon
Joined Dec 2005
79 Posts
We need a live thread on these things

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX208
I think saw a thread somewhere on RC Groups that was talking about the dragonfly king
Thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403491
Seems to be dead, though. I'm gonna post there anyway and hope ye new owners chime in with your thoughts, too.

The airlark/dragonfly king appear to be the same critter, as far as I can tell.

sideburn, racer, did you guys get yours flying?

Devon in Beirut
intuit is offline Find More Posts by intuit
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:14 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuit
Thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403491
Seems to be dead, though. I'm gonna post there anyway and hope ye new owners chime in with your thoughts, too.

The airlark/dragonfly king appear to be the same critter, as far as I can tell.

sideburn, racer, did you guys get yours flying?

Devon in Beirut
Thanks for the thread link, I'll be sure to check it out and post . Yes, mine seems to fly very well. Right now the space I have to fly in is a little cramped, but I'm looking around for a bigger indoor area. I noticed on mine that the tail rotor, or at least the "loop" around it appears to be a bit warped or bent. I cannot help but think that might be impacting the speed of the little motor. Was wondering if anyone has come up with an alternate prop. Say for example a GWS type? I'd like to add some extra lights and such. Was also wondering what type of Lipo charger is actually in the cube adapter that is supplied. I have a "real" Electrifly Lipo charger that I never used for aircraft and was toying with the idea of using that instead of the cube, if its just a generic timer. Lipo's can be tempermental
RacerX208 is offline Find More Posts by RacerX208