SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 04, 2001, 08:51 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
tigermoth-a great slow flyer plane!

I just got back from a trip to the local football field with my 10 year old son. He flew his zagi and I flew a Wattage tigermoth. Winds were about 5mph; about perfect.

Flew with a 9x7 prop and 9volt rayovac nimh battery. At full throttle, I end up getting about 4 1/2 to 5 minutes of flying time. At 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, I was able to milk out an 8 minute flight. I was very pleased with the flight characteristics of the plane but will bring up a couple of points I noticed.
1. The plane is sensitive to throttle. If I adjust the trim to fly level at 1/2 throttle it will climb strongly at full throttle.
2. You need lots of control throw for loops. I learned this the hard way by today trying a loop from level flight at about 75 feet. It climbed with authority and slipped over clean but didn't quite have enough throw to turn back up. I killed throttle and expected the worst but all that happened is the plane nosed in with about a 20% angle and bent the prop. No wing or other damage at all.

If you don't have a electric bipe yet, you should strongly consider the tigermoth. I've have a digital camera that does 30 second videos and I'm going to get my wife to shoot some footage of the tigermoth tomorrow if winds are good. Then others can see for themselves what I'm talking about. Until then, i have some more pics at www.geocities.com/mkaarlela/index.html

The tigermoth is a great airplane for those of us that like to be able to fly in a small field without a crowd (unless you count kids who always come running as soon as the tigermoth goes up).
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
to remove ads between posts