HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:48 AM
**crunch**
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2003
483 Posts
AMA membership sweepstakes

So I got my renewal mailing and inside there's a sweepstakes for a 42% hangar 9 biplane and a JR radio and a DA 150.

cool, right? but, um.. wait a minit, how much does this cost, and will it *really* spur enough renewals (who wouldnt otherwise renew) to pay for itself?

if it costs ten thousand dollars (prizes + administration, probably a low number even if the prizes are donated or wholesale), it would take something like 2 thousand new memberships to pay for it. that's like 2 percent of total memberships, right?

seems like a feature we didn't ask for and won't get the benefit of.

-barrett
capncrunch is offline Find More Posts by capncrunch
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:37 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
I'm not a betting man but I would hazzard a guess that the entire package was donated at no cost other than shipping to the eventual winner.

Keep in mind it cost the companies nothing as well when you consider it can be written off as a cost of doing business. These companies give away a lot more than this during the course of a year

They do it for the publicity and the good will within the modeling community.

BTW the AMA can also write off the cost of administering the contest as well. It's a win/win for the AMA.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:00 AM
New Caney TX.
Joined Mar 2002
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capncrunch
So I got my renewal mailing and inside there's a sweepstakes for a 42% hangar 9 biplane and a JR radio and a DA 150.

cool, right? but, um.. wait a minit, how much does this cost, and will it *really* spur enough renewals (who wouldnt otherwise renew) to pay for itself?

if it costs ten thousand dollars (prizes + administration, probably a low number even if the prizes are donated or wholesale), it would take something like 2 thousand new memberships to pay for it. that's like 2 percent of total memberships, right?

seems like a feature we didn't ask for and won't get the benefit of.

-barrett
Is that another "new math"? $10,000 (even if anywhere near correct) you are looking at 173 adult members dues. Less than 210 if you deduct the magazine cost from the $58 dues.

2000 members equate to about 1.3 percent of the adult membership.
Hossfly is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:14 AM
California
Joined Feb 2005
1,519 Posts
If I win it. i'll take it.! Mail it to my house.
freddy warbird is offline Find More Posts by freddy warbird