No 220 54.46%
Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:25 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Joined Jul 2005
402 Posts
Poll
Something to think about.....Will it Fly?

Imagine a plane is sat on the beginning of a massive conveyor belt/travelator type arrangement, as wide and as long as a runway, and intends to take off. The conveyer belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels at any given time, moving in the opposite direction of rotation.
There is no wind.

Can the plane take off?
gotime242 is offline Find More Posts by gotime242
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:37 AM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,202 Posts
What?
Wheels don't make an airplane fly.
Airspeed verses ground speed.
Maybe I don't have a clear picture of what you're talking about.

Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:41 AM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
The thrust will result in the same airspeed as without the conveyor, so it can take off.
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Last edited by wattsup_kz; Nov 28, 2005 at 09:48 AM. Reason: changed my answer
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:41 AM
Joined Aug 2005
19 Posts
yes
jjmetheny is offline Find More Posts by jjmetheny
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:50 AM
I love HAM
Joined Nov 2005
725 Posts
I answered yes. but... If the plane starts to roll forward, the belt will start to move backwards. As a reaction, the wheels will have to turn harder to keep up with the plane, leading to an increased speed of the belt. At takeoff speed (say 120 kts), the speed of the belt will be also 120 kts and the wheels will spin at 240 kts equevalent, which may cause them to fail. Does this sound reasonable?
Schermvlieger is offline Find More Posts by Schermvlieger
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:51 AM
Sam Talley
Nashville, TN
Joined May 2003
299 Posts
Yes, it will fly.

Suppose the plane's wheels are replace by powerful magnets with the north-seeking poles of the magnets pointing down. Suppose the conveyor belt is replaced conveyor belt composed of a series of electromagnets (imagine a cobblestone belt of magnets) with the north-seeking poles pointing up. The two sets of magnets will repel each other, levitating the plane. The propeller begins to turn pulling the plane forward and the belt begins to move at the same speed in the opposite direction. The plane's ground speed will increase and the plane will take off.

The only difference is that in the original setting the wheels appear "tied" to the ground. If fact they are not. The wheels will rotate at twice the rate that they would if the conveyor belt was stationary.
Ranger13 is offline Find More Posts by Ranger13
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:53 AM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
The wheels can be concidered somewhat detached from the airframe; i.e. the wheels could be moving freely with the conveyor belt moving in the opposite direction but the plane would still be stationary.
When the plane is in motion, the wheels will move accordingly, probably spinning faster, but the plane should still be able to take off under airspeed as it would normally would. I am probably wrong but some others have put 'yes' too. Reason please. And perhaps a practicle test would be nice. Actually, its not a bad science project, thanks for the idea

James,

Edit- P.S. looks like we all replied at the same time
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:59 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Joined Jul 2005
402 Posts
Wow this filled up fast.

Many forums are debating this right now. So i threw it on this one.

I believe the answer is yes. So far its been on car forums and others, but i wanted it on a forum with some pilots.

http://www.naplesracing.com/thread.p...tuser=0&page=1

http://forum.physorg.com/index.php?showtopic=2417&st=0

http://community.discovery.com/group...7451937218/p/1

http://videos.streetfire.net/player....D-D6BA1A43A06B
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:02 AM
Flap chap
Most Southern England, Brighton UK
Joined May 2004
1,934 Posts
Haha, bet those who put 'NO' feel silly now .

James,
snakeX2 is offline Find More Posts by snakeX2
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:05 AM
Maryland's eastern most shoreline
Joined May 2004
566 Posts
As the wheels supply no thrust the plane will take off whether the conveyor moves or not.
thermal is offline Find More Posts by thermal
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:10 AM
Modeller Dilettante
Vancouver
Joined Sep 2005
422 Posts
No, it won't take off.

If the conveyor belt is exactly matching the wheel rotation in the opposite direction, the plane will remain stationary relative to the air around it. Most of the thrust will be transfered to the movement of the conveyor belt through friction with the wheels. Therefore no airspeed at all, no lift.
markusj is offline Find More Posts by markusj
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:10 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,765 Posts
If you started with the brakes of the plane on would the conveyor belt still move ?.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:13 AM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
as far as the magnets go you could actually not have to make it move if the north/south was in the right config. just set the plane balanced on the field then give a push/thrust. It could then accelerate on the "field"
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:21 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Joined Jul 2005
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usta Bee
If you started with the brakes of the plane on would the conveyor belt still move ?.
No. The belt only moves when the wheels try to.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:22 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,765 Posts
This whole conveyor belt thing reminds me of the Sanger Silverbird/ America bomber (only they were gonna use rockets)....

http://www.luft46.com/misc/sanger.html
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Closed Thread