resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattalbr
Seems simple to me...

...don't charge an already full pack...
...don't use lipos if you can't monitor the charge...
...don't blame manufacturers for you unwillingness to follow instructions...
...don't pay attention to a product's competitors' critiques.
ma

...don't charge an already full pack...

While i agree you sould not have to, It does happen our batteies do not have fuel gages to tell us thier capasity we reliy on the charger to do that for us..

...don't use lipos if you can't monitor the charge...

Welp your probly right but i have been called out of the room a number of times (Wife, Dog, Phone) I tend not to stop my charge while i do these things (And yes it may bite me in the butt some day)

...don't blame manufacturers for you unwillingness to follow instructions...

Agreed first rule of LiPos probly should read need to be able to read or at least have some one who can (Lets assume a blind man will not be flying RC planes)..

My Favorite line and i agree...

...don't pay attention to a product's competitors' critiques.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:22 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,559 Posts
Quote:
U would'nt go out and buy a 4WD with 24 inch tires just to go down to the local market to pick up some milk & groceries, would you unless U plan to do some backwoods offroading down the road and U live in the city?
And why not?

I own a sub machine gun but have no plans to rob a bank or do any drive by shootings.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:24 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
So I ask again. If we can sit around here and hash out what makes a good charger then it follows that if you can read the manufacture should be able to see what we (the whole group) like not just the one or two loud voices..

You can cover a lot by instructions but you can get alot more if your product is intuitivly safe to use (Please i am not directing that at any charger brand) even air bags warn you where they are there I can only assume it is because there are miss fires on them...
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:30 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
I am addressing those " IDIOTs AND FOOLs " who think they can buy an all out solution to solve their charging needs without knowing what they really need on a basic technical understanding of how to deal with LIPOs.

And why is that?
You are a fool just for saying that,

Quote:
U would'nt go out and buy a 4WD with 24 inch tires just to go down to the local market to pick up some milk & groceries, would you unless U plan to do some backwoods offroading down the road and U live in the city?
You sir live in tha bay area land of the SUV and Monster Trucks Gezz on road 4bys are all around you By the way it would be a 32 or 34 inch tire on a 15 inch rim... 24 inces would be way to small to provide the tourk you need to travel in the mud.. Gezz at least stick to things you are familiar with..

Nur said

I will be refaining from posting on this matter of woo... I finnaly see why he has the rep that he has..
Last edited by PaulVi; Nov 29, 2005 at 04:41 PM. Reason: remove deragitory stament
Old Nov 29, 2005, 05:22 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Using Voltage Clamps for 2 years Now and No Fires

and no screw- ups either because the LIPO packs being charged R well monitored and checked for normal voltages with a whattmeter before powering up charger, only problem it takes a couple of hours at least, but I don't mind because I charge out in the field only occasionally.

I use pre-charged packs most of the time
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:11 PM
phillyphly
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Sep 2005
1,223 Posts
Geez, Hall - You actually fly at Rancho San Antonio? I'll be there from Christmas to mid January and I've never met a real life troll. Strange because sometimes you actually have some meaningful/rational advice but it gets lost in the multiple personality, insulting weirdness.

The Village Idiot
e-guru is offline Find More Posts by e-guru
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:25 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Maybe U can finish a 20 lap race with Shane and I .

Do U have a "RACE READY LIPO" ?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 06:27 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
The Village Idiot has spoken, listen to the squeaky of the mouse
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:19 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Mar 2005
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
It's not a fault. It's simply a matter of guys, who should know better, not following the instructions. Every piece of equipment has to be operated in the way it was designed to be operated. To deliberately NOT use the equipment as it's meant to be used means the fault lies with the user. Is it really too hard to wait 3 minutes and recheck the cell count? I'm certainly glad no one was injured, but I have to say that to repeat the same mistake says something about the person who does so. Like almost all reports of LiPo fires, it's not really the LiPOs, or the charger. IT' S THE USER NOT FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS!
Dave
This assumes everyone that buys the 109 should know better. I have 3 lipos and while I've read the warnings that go with them, there's warnings on about everything around us. My can of Dust-Off has more bold red warnings than lipos or their chargers. Unless buying the charger comes with some manditory safety class, people who don't know better will be using it.
sniderea is offline Find More Posts by sniderea
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:20 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Charles-

It's against the law to own a submachine gun without registering it with the Federal government ya know?

fb

Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
And why not?

I own a sub machine gun but have no plans to rob a bank or do any drive by shootings.

Charles
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:26 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99
Charles-

It's against the law to own a submachine gun without registering it with the Federal government ya know?

fb
No kidding, and the Federal Tax Stamp cost $200 ,plus the paper work was a lot of fun. I also held a Firearms Dealers License and an Ammunition Manufactures License at one time till product liability insurance went through the roof so to speak.

Charles
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:28 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Just trying to point out the law....not that everyone registers...
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:29 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
I have been using a 109 for over two years with zero problems. I bought it when I got my first LiPo pack.

Of course, I am in the subset of Astro 109 owners who actually read the instructions end-to-end, understand and follow them, and routinely seek to enhance my knowledge by reading these forums often. I also educated myself some on the care and feeding of LiPo cells even before using it the first time. In using it to charge my packs probably over a hundred times, I'm still waiting to puff my first one from charging errors.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but if so, that's how I got there.

Hall, from your comments, you seem to think you have the answer for making a simple, foolproof, reliable LiPo charger that anyone can use successfully and safely.

Why don't you market one that you designed, and give all the other LiPo charger manufacturers who think they have the best mousetrap a little competition? It's apparent from your many critical comments, that you think you can do much better than they have.

Here's your big chance 1) to save all of us idiots and fools from incinerating our homes and ourselves, and 2) to corner the LiPo charger market.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:36 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
If there were a wish list then the only option that looks like it would make it a better product is for it to stop on a cell count change and wait for user intervention.
Paul V
Errrrr, wouldn't it be better to have user verification of the "autodetect" cell count before starting the charge? Changing the cell count after starting the charge is like setting the "stupid" switch and I'm the only one qualified to set the "stupid" switch.

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Nov 29, 2005, 07:58 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,559 Posts
Quote:
wouldn't it be better to have user verification of the "autodetect" cell count before starting the charge?
That is what happens while the charge is set to zero, if the instructions are followed, is it not?.
Some chargers blink X number of times to indicate the number of cells ,the 109 dispalys the number of cell detected at all times,which to me is much better than a one time indicator.

There seems to be some that think the process needs to have more user interaction. Simple solution set to zero connect LiPoly if cell count is correct leave set at zero until stage 2 then set charge rate. If during stage 1 at zero charge rate to few cells are being displayed increase charge rate and observe until proper number of cells are displayed.

I have read many post here on RC Groups from those who complain that their charger will not charge thier LiPoly . Most of the time they have been over discharged and are below the minimum voltage required by the charger. The 109 does not have this problem. How many believe it is safer to use a Ni charger to get a low voltage pack up to the LiPo chargeable point?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=58

Charles