HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:21 PM
Registered User
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
Dan

What we need is a book for " DUMMIES Using LIPO Batteries " main topics CONSTANT CURRENT charging and CONSTANT VOLTAGE charging required for charging LIPOs.

And, of course a topic, why use a VOLTAGE CLAMP ?

Any questions on a proper charger should never arise unless U R a complete IDIOT or FOOL, like asking yourself should I buy a BMW or Mercedes when U could afford both
I know that many of you are aware of it, but it appears that hall is not:
(http://www.fmadirect.com/tech_data/techdocs/)

Covers the topics needed.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:25 PM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
I charge in a pint paint can with lid on loosely. In the can is a zip lock bag of baking soda. If there is a fire, fire opens bag, baking soda keeps fire way under control by decomposing and making CO2. I store them in a sentry fire resistant box I picked up at a yard sale for $1 - another bag of baking soda in the box just in case.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:31 PM
Registered User
Dan Baldwin's Avatar
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
Dan

Any questions on a proper charger should never arise unless U R a complete IDIOT or FOOL, like asking yourself should I buy a BMW or Mercedes when U could afford both
You lost me Hall. Only an IDIOT or FOOL would have a question about their charger, or which charger to buy?


Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 01:36 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Fred has a technical manual on how to deal with LIPOs and is very comprehensive if U need the theory behind it, but no one using LIPOs gonna wanna design any LIPO cells or packs.

All U need to know is How to simply charge them without doughing up $300 for a Schulze system when U can do it economically with a cheap $25 surplus adjustable voltage dualie 12v switching regulator compact 400W power supply.
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:03 PM
Flying motor mount master
fly_boy99's Avatar
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Hall-

IMHO I think you would be the last person who should be using the words
IDIOT and FOOL!!!


yours truly,
fb
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Last edited by fly_boy99; Nov 29, 2005 at 02:10 PM. Reason: made a statement not a question
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:08 PM
Registered User
Dan Baldwin's Avatar
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,713 Posts
I have been admonished about feeding trolls before. I guess I forgot.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:11 PM
Registered User
Dan Baldwin's Avatar
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99
Hall-

IMHO I think you would be the last person who should be using the words
IDIOT and FOOL!!!
I dissagree. I think it's appropriate for him to use them in first person.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:20 PM
**I'm Battman**
RCBABBEL's Avatar
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Bro. Hall,

You made my day with that one.... "Incom Poops"
Quote...
WARNING: Incompoops should not be using this Astro Flight 109 Charger/Discharger

It's a bit low to make fun of someone's net worth don't ya think?

Please don't take the rips on the 109 so personally. I own about five LiPoly chargers and the 109 isn't my favorite! I just feel that for the good of us all, it needs to be made safer.

peace out,
rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 02:28 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Any knowledgeable person in electronics doesn't need to be told how to set up a constant current or constant voltage source inexpensively, in fact Dan knows some off the self for 12 bucks.

There R a lot ot sources local or mail-order

U don't need any expensive Schulze or Astro Flight and any other kind of cheap " MICKEY MOUSE " chargers . U should be able to tailor any appropriate quality power supply for charging your LIPO packs using 2 plain $2.99 Harbor Freight DVM to check the charging current and set the voltage clamp level.

PIECE OF CAKE

That's the point I trying to get across
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 03:13 PM
resU deretsigeR
PaulVi's Avatar
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo

That's the point I trying to get across

You probly could have made your point with out insulting anyone.. That is like say all AOL users are IDIOTS and FOOLS for using a simpler system..
You may also do better if you do not try to be an elitist..

Not every one wants your $12.00 solution and not every one wants to have the hassle besides I can field charge with my Triton.. Although futile it might be for LiPo (Charge Times) the point is you did not have to be so smuge to make your point beides it is off topic.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 03:16 PM
resU deretsigeR
PaulVi's Avatar
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBiggles
I charge in a pint paint can with lid on loosely. In the can is a zip lock bag of baking soda. If there is a fire, fire opens bag, baking soda keeps fire way under control by decomposing and making CO2. I store them in a sentry fire resistant box I picked up at a yard sale for $1 - another bag of baking soda in the box just in case.
I like the thought of this are we sure this works because if it does then i may just switch from sand to baking soda I mean it sounds right but i do get the chemical reaction part.. (i do but could you explaine better)

Thanks


PS..

Never mind did a google search and came up with about 30 pages of good expinations

Quote:
Dry Chemical Extinguishers
Dry chemical extinguishers are filled with either foam or powder, usually sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) or potassium bicarbonate, and pressurized with nitrogen. Baking soda is effective because it decomposes at 158 degrees Fahrenheit and releases carbon dioxide (which smothers oxygen) once it decomposes. Dry chemical extinguishers interrupt the chemical reaction of the fire by coating the fuel with a thin layer of powder or foam, separating the fuel from the surrounding oxygen.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Last edited by PaulVi; Nov 29, 2005 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 03:52 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
ElectRick's Avatar
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
Any knowledgeable person in electronics doesn't need to be told how to set up a constant current or constant voltage source inexpensively, in fact Dan knows some off the self for 12 bucks.

There R a lot ot sources local or mail-order

U don't need any expensive Schulze or Astro Flight and any other kind of cheap " MICKEY MOUSE " chargers . U should be able to tailor any appropriate quality power supply for charging your LIPO packs using 2 plain $2.99 Harbor Freight DVM to check the charging current and set the voltage clamp level.

PIECE OF CAKE

That's the point I trying to get across
Piece of cake for you, perhaps.

Not everyone has the technical expertise in electronics to build such charging circuits, nor may want to design and build a cobbled-together charging solution. I have significant professional training and years of field experience in digital electronics, and I don't care to build my own charger. Not because I can't, but because I don't care to spend the time and effort when I can just buy one off the shelf. I also don't wind my own brushless motors or make my own speed controllers for the same reason.

That does not mean people are IDIOTS or FOOLS because they can't or don't. It means there are ranges of expertise in everything. If you don't have an electrical engineering degree or other extensive electronics knowledge, coupled with the desire to 'roll your own' charger, it doesn't logically follow that you are either an idiot or fool.

It is however, foolish to assume so.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:00 PM
one game away...
PerfectStranger's Avatar
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Apr 2004
3,891 Posts
Seems simple to me...

...don't charge an already full pack...
...don't use lipos if you can't monitor the charge...
...don't blame manufacturers for you unwillingness to follow instructions...
...don't pay attention to a product's competitors' critiques.

If you don't like the product, don't use it. I've had no problems for a year and a half now. But I must admit, I follow the instructions. If you want plug and forget charging, you're using the wrong types of cells kids.

ma
PerfectStranger is offline Find More Posts by PerfectStranger
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:03 PM
Registered User
ebill3's Avatar
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
That does not mean people are IDIOTS or FOOLS because they can't or don't. It means there are ranges of expertise in everything. If you don't have an electrical engineering degree or other extensive electronics knowledge, coupled with the desire to 'roll your own' charger, it doesn't logically follow that you are either an idiot or fool.

It is however, foolish to assume so.

Rick
Give Rick the cigar!

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 04:14 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Rick

Its seems like everyone is being taken to the " CLEANERS " and washed TWICE either by MFRs or Resellers trying to make a " BUCK" selling unreliable chargers and then offering balancers when all one need is just a plain well regulated power source and some inexpensive DVMs to make sure a safe charge is going into a safe normal battery.

I am addressing those " IDIOTs AND FOOLs " who think they can buy an all out solution to solve their charging needs without knowing what they really need on a basic technical understanding of how to deal with LIPOs.

U would'nt go out and buy a 4WD with 24 inch tires just to go down to the local market to pick up some milk & groceries, would you unless U plan to do some backwoods offroading down the road and U live in the city?
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools