HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:15 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebill3
I trust you realize that was an intentional violation of the AF 109 instructions - the drill was to see what might happen if the instructions were not followed.

Bill
Yes I realize this. I also realize that if you set a Triton, Ice or many other chargers to Ni Cad or Ni MH and connect a LiPoly you most likely will have problems.

Charles.
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:23 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,707 Posts
I don't feel bashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
Look Dave has a point he has not had any problems with his.. That is good, Others have That is bad.

Dave sounds very pasionite about his 109 brand loyaty is a good thing..

It is just that other have not had the luck he has..

Of cource luck while charging li-po's should be minumised.
I'll admit I do like Astro products in general, but if I felt this was a truely dangerous charger I'd be rid of it in a flash. I wouldn't characterize my good experience with this charger as luck. It's not good luck when you use the equipment properly and It's not bad luck when you don't. I'd like to feel that I've had no problems because I use the device in the manner in which it was intended. I'm a conservative guy (old fart), I don't push the envelope, I don't expect things to be fool proof, I try to know a bit about the equipment I'm using, and I absolutely do read the manual from front to back. I don't blame the tool when the workman messes up. Who knows, I might misuse my 109 and have a fire. If I do, then it's my fault and I'll pay the price.
Dave
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:27 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
I'll admit I do like Astro products in general, but if I felt this was a truely dangerous charger I'd be rid of it in a flash. I wouldn't characterize my good experience with this charger as luck. It's not good luck when you use the equipment properly and It's not bad luck when you don't. I'd like to feel that I've had no problems because I use the device in the manner in which it was intended. I'm a conservative guy (old fart), I don't push the envelope, I don't expect things to be fool proof, I try to know a bit about the equipment I'm using, and I absolutely do read the manual from front to back. I don't blame the tool when the workman messes up. Who knows, I might misuse my 109 and have a fire. If I do, then it's my fault and I'll pay the price.
Dave

Fair Enough..
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:29 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Yes I realize this. I also realize that if you set a Triton, Ice or many other chargers to Ni Cad or Ni MH and connect a LiPoly you most likely will have problems.

Charles.
My bigest fear.... I hope that i stay aleart when i charge my stuff. I like my triton and i think others are good too. but again my bigest fear is teh nut behind the wheel...
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:32 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Of cource with all of this said....

Do any of you feel safe letting the charger make the chooce for you even if it is designed to be used a cetian way..

I for one do not. I guess im a bit of a control freak. I don't even feel good about my ESC's picking my cell count for me but at least they do not change after the tell me that i have 1 2 or 3 cells... Un like the charger.. Again if you follow the direction you reduce the problems but I still like to make my choice..
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:35 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,545 Posts
Years ago during my childhood there was a commercial jingle that went.

Sing it over and over and over agiain, Frosty Morn.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362850

I have used a 109 for over 15 months ,charged hundreds of batteries and it is still my favorite LiPoly charger even though I have five other LiPoly chargers.

Charles
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:48 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
Of cource with all of this said....

Do any of you feel safe letting the charger make the chooce for you even if it is designed to be used a cetian way..

I for one do not. I guess im a bit of a control freak. I don't even feel good about my ESC's picking my cell count for me but at least they do not change after the tell me that i have 1 2 or 3 cells... Un like the charger.. Again if you follow the direction you reduce the problems but I still like to make my choice..
I guess attitude is part of it. I'm sure I'm just as big a control freak as you. I don't look at it as the charger choosing the cell count, I see it as starting the device and checking to be sure it's doing the right thing. Astro Bob in the manual says the charger "guesses" at the cell count, and that you must check it to be sure it's right. To me that's not too different from setting the cell count manually. I'll admit it does take that darn three minutes though.
Dave
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:54 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,070 Posts
Quote:
... I for one do not.
Then buy a different charger if you don't like it IMHO. I don't see the point of bashing a perfectly good charger. I for one, like the simplicity of the Astro 109 and have never, ever, had a problem with it. So to me it's been a solid, very useful, performer. True I do read instructions (they are in good English too) and, true, I've only used up to 3S on it and never charge a fully charged pack on it. Of course, it is currently gathering some dust as I have an Electrify 4 port charger (which picks the cell count as well BTW) for most of my charging needs. I've used the Triton too ... but like a 'dedicated' LiPo charger. Therefore I don't use it very often for LiPo charging as it requires more 'attention' to setup.

I don't see a problem with waiting the 3 minutes either. You should be in the area anyway while the batteries are charging. Not hovering, but in the area. Even with the Electrify charger you wait until you see the 3 blinks on each channel before moving away from the charging station area to do something else....
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Nov 28, 2005, 07:29 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
People who tend not read instruction manuals should look for devices that do not require reading instruction manuals to operate safely. The AF 109 is not fully automatic, and it's not a no brainer. It's good to have this discussion here periodially, so that those who are researching Li chargers will understand that the AF 109 is not for everyone. It rewards operators who give it their full attention and participation, and can punish those who don't. Those who understand it tend to love it and those who don't tend to have problems.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Nov 28, 2005, 07:32 PM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
During the C1 stage the 109 is testing to see if all the cells are ok (pulsing the current on and off and seeing what the voltage does), if it thinks the pack has a different cell count from what you know it has then you better investigate what is going on.. perhaps one of the cells is bad, or the pack is fully charged or a connection is bad ect.

The only thing I would change is that the charger stops at the c1-c2 transition, but that would mean a hardware change to add a pushbutton, start reset ect. Also a power supply failure during dischage will ruin a pack.

Herm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
Astro Bob in the manual says the charger "guesses" at the cell count, and that you must check it to be sure it's right. To me that's not too different from setting the cell count manually. Dave
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Nov 28, 2005, 07:54 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Seems like there is a market for the people who like to be in "control" not that it's a bad thing.

So build a inline circuit which has a manual setting of 2S,3S,4S,5S,etc which monitors voltage and also directly controls the power input to the 109 and it will shutoff if it tries to skip cell count at all!!!
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 28, 2005, 07:57 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
KLIQUE: All workbench and product flames aside, glad to hear that you and your property weren't permanently maimed.

I hope LiPO chemistry and/or charging improve soon before there are more serious problems. Until then, y'all are playing with fire, and that goes no matter WHICH charger you use - eg: think about crashes where you can't recover and the pack puffs and ignites.
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Nov 28, 2005, 08:01 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_boy99
Seems like there is a market for the people who like to be in "control" not that it's a bad thing.

So build a inline circuit which has a manual setting of 2S,3S,4S,5S,etc which monitors voltage and also directly controls the power input to the 109 and it will shutoff if it tries to skip cell count at all!!!
Like the Hyperion Balancer?

Charles
Old Nov 28, 2005, 08:04 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Yep and guess what ...

I got one!!!
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:02 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Info thnx it just caught me rite in the flames,and it could have be worse.The charger can be improoved.
And any one this happend to would agree.It is a simple fix to cure the problem ,yet the problem still exist. All the while people point fingers. If it was castle creations the problem would have ben adressed and effort would have ben made to help out the end user.At this point it is 50 50 opinion I should have done a poll to get a measured consensus.
Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by infopimp
KLIQUE: All workbench and product flames aside, glad to hear that you and your property weren't permanently maimed.

I hope LiPO chemistry and/or charging improve soon before there are more serious problems. Until then, y'all are playing with fire, and that goes no matter WHICH charger you use - eg: think about crashes where you can't recover and the pack puffs and ignites.
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique