HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2005, 04:53 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
FRAMEDNLVS is offline Find More Posts by FRAMEDNLVS
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 04, 2006 at 01:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2005, 04:55 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
I don't think that anybody deliberately doesn't use the 109 as it's meant to be used. I just think that most people don't read the manual because the only control on the charger is 1 knob, and all you do with it is set the current to 1C.

Are you really saying that anybody that doesn't read the manual and follow the directions deserves to have their house burned down?

Dan
Now Dan, nowhere did I say that anyone "deserves" to have their house burn down. You can't make an argument that way. Stick to what was said and eschew the hyperbole.
Actually your first paragraph tells the story. If most people "don't read the manual", use the device improperly and have an incident, how on earth can you blame the device. People have a responsibiltity to watch out for themselves. If they're too lazy, overconfident, or just think they don't need to read no stinking manual, then they will pay the price. As I said before I think that such behavior says quite a bit about an individual. After all, you can't make a device fool proof. No matter what scheme you can dream up, someone will muck it up. The 109 is a decent charger, and used as designed I feel it's as safe as any other out there.
Dave
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Nov 28, 2005, 04:58 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,830 Posts
I'm still waiting to hear if any of these events occurred while the charger was in Mode 2.
Dave
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:04 PM
Joined Aug 2004
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAMEDNLVS
CK,
I have read a lot on the lipo fires while charging and there are a bunch of people that will say that it has to be the users fault. I don't understand why the charger would try to figure out something so important and ask to stand there for three min. to see if it got it right. This is not a game!!!!! If it can't tell what the pack is (regardless of charge state) 100% of the time then it should not be set by the charger. The other thing that bothers me is the fact that charging is so dangerous that you must baby sit the thing the whole time, according to the INSTRUCTIONS. Sounds like the only sure thing to do is to build a Battery shelter for charging and expect the pack to blow up (the only good advice I have found from these discussions). Personally I don't think that if the user is at fault or not the charging process should be bomb proof.

The battery people say that it isn't the batteries fault, yet they put taps on them now.

The charger people say that it isn't the chargers fault, yet they think you need to baby sit the process.

I hope that things get worked out before they get deemed not for sale in your region.

Best of luck,
Chris
I couldnt agree more! I dont nderstand why some people just dont get it.

Cell count sand charge rate are the two critical things that if you get them worng you are facing a BIG chance of a fire.

So why oh why chose a charger that trys to determine cell count fo you and then just merrily goes on its way without asking for user verification.

Some people may like waiting around sratching their posterior for three minutes, personally Id rather use a charger that aks me if it has the correct cell count before it proceeds. Otherwise I may as well get my calculator out and just use my old nicad charger.
Willard is offline Find More Posts by Willard
Last edited by Willard; Nov 28, 2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:04 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Learn How To Use a Voltage Clamp for any XSXP Pack

and U'll never have to worry about OVERCHARGING, doesn't take that long, if U R worrying about time.

All my operational packs get CLAMPED to an exact voltage before flight
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:06 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Yes it was.
He is just like the majority That sees the initial cell count and thinks it is dooing it rite.
It is an auto cell detector correct?
I am sorry officer my speedometer said 50mph 3 mins ago now it says 120 mph i guess alot can change in 3 mins.
The 3 min warning should be audible and say 3 mins to possibe explosion warning! warning! possible loss of property and bodily harm.
People would never leave it un checked if they heard that. It is like autopilot the doesnt always work.Why have it.
If it can go wrong it will ,too many variables Imho, with a charger that is supposed to be the best.
The facts are that it can be improoved ,and we all know it.
If it killed someone i gaurantee it would get modified.Too many people are having these problems.
Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
Was the charger in Mode 1 when the cell count jump occurred?
Dave
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:07 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 04, 2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:17 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
Yes it was.
He is just like the majority That sees the initial cell count and thinks it is dooing it rite.
It is an auto cell detector correct?
I am sorry officer my speedometer said 50mph 3 mins ago now it says 120 mph i guess alot can change in 3 mins.
The 3 min warning should be audible and say 3 mins to possibe explosion warning! warning! possible loss of property and bodily harm.
People would never leave it un checked if they heard that. It is like autopilot the doesnt always work.Why have it.
If it can go wrong it will ,too many variables Imho, with a charger that is supposed to be the best.
The facts are that it can be improoved ,and we all know it.
If it killed someone i gaurantee it would get modified.Too many people are having these problems.
Ck
Yep, this is the good old USA. Heavens forbid! I should read the manual and then actually do as it says! Why I can't believe such a thing! You actually want me to wait 3 whole minutes. I should have absolutely no responsibility for my own person and property. Dad gum it, it must be somebody elses fault.
Sorry for the sarcasm. As long as the charger is used as designed there is apparently not much of a problem. If you can't or won't use it in such a manner then you should use a different charger. Any of you who have one of these dangerous chargers can send it to me and I'll make sure it doesn't harm you or your property.
Still waiting for the reports of the charger jumping cell count while in Mode 2.
Dave
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:20 PM
Joined Jun 2004
2,125 Posts
gone fishing
Last edited by FRAMEDNLVS; Aug 04, 2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:28 PM
Joined Aug 2004
995 Posts
nevermind
Willard is offline Find More Posts by Willard
Last edited by Willard; Nov 28, 2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:30 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for the sarcasm. As long as the charger is used as designed there is apparently not much of a problem. If you can't or won't use it in such a manner then you should use a different charger.
Dave

One could argue why did a manufacture build a device that can potetianlly cause this type of problem.

Lets say for a moment that it is your ESC with auto cell detection it beeps 3 times for a 3 cell pack then you launch your plane get it up on step and it say's wait i think i was wrong you now have a 4 cell and shuts down due to low voltage. or worst yet it thinks now a 2 cell is connected and alows your 3 cell pack to discharge to a 2 cell voltage

Dave no direct rebuttle directed at you you just made a point that got me thinking. I agree many things when used as instructed are safer. Like a micro wave oven with a good un damaged seal but when was the last time some one checked theirs

I would say you are right change chargers. there is no reson a charger should auto detect cell count when it is simple to set before you start right along with charge current..

I have a triton and while it is not perfect I do like that i have to set it before i start. of cource i have made mistakes before (human factor) and not set it to 2 cells when i had just got done with a 3 cell I blame myself for that the charger was doing just whet i asked it to do...

No arguments just my opinion..
Enjoy
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Last edited by PaulVi; Nov 28, 2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:42 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,715 Posts
Dave, I'm sorry, but I guess there's just something wrong with me. I'm having a heck of a time seeing a big difference between

Quote:
If they're too lazy, overconfident, or just think they don't need to read no stinking manual, then they will pay the price.
Dave
and
Quote:
anybody that doesn't read the manual and follow the directions deserves to have their house burned down?
It wasn't intended to be hyperbole, it was a question, and I guess you answered it.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:00 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,830 Posts
Dan, I said they would pay the price. That's all I said. There's absolutely no way you can read into that statement the idea that I feel the individual somehow deserves it to happen. Let's say you, as a matter of routine, drive much too fast for conditions on worn out tires. At some time you'll probably pay the price of a high speed accident. You're probably like most of the people on this forum, a decent guy with a family and friends. I wouldn't feel you deserve to have this accident. Just because I feel that you WILL pay that price in no way means that I feel that you DESERVE to pay it. You'll have brought it upon yourself, I did not, nor would I, wish it upon you. I wish no ill to befall any one. BUT.....if you are careless, lazy, sloppy, distracted, or any thing else you can think of.....you might get bit.
Dave
Last edited by davecee; Nov 28, 2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:01 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
No Dave Bashing

Look Dave has a point he has not had any problems with his.. That is good, Others have That is bad.

Dave sounds very pasionite about his 109 brand loyaty is a good thing..

It is just that other have not had the luck he has..

Of cource luck while charging li-po's should be minumised.
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:08 PM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
I have started using the Hyperion balancer with my astro 109, it monitors each cell's voltage.. if any of them exceeds 4.3volts it shuts off the charger..also monitors discharge and balances packs.. very well made and inexpensive. I like it..

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=3590

Herm
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Last edited by hermperez; Nov 28, 2005 at 08:12 PM.