Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:11 AM
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Remembering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco8gator
The 109 is a pretty good charger, just have to remember to check the cell count after you plug the pack in to make sure its correct
About 90 % of Li Po fires have been caused when you have to remember.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:36 AM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Wouldn't it ne neat if it beeped the cell count it selected twice before it moved on.

beep beep beep
beep beep beep

OK, it recognized my 3 cell pack correctly.
That would be better than what it does, but I think it should stop the charge if it changes the cell count, start beeping, and wait for the user to do something.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:41 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,657 Posts
Yeah - best of all worlds.

beep beep beep
beep beep beep
beep beep beep

etc etc until you pushed the accept button.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:50 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Yeah - best of all worlds.

beep beep beep
beep beep beep
beep beep beep

etc etc until you pushed the accept button.
When it comes to LiPo charging, IMHO the machine should never be allowed to make its own decisions--at least during the cell detect mode. I agree that it ought to beep, and wait for a deliberate confirmation by the user before proceeding.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:52 PM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
I believe you might get an argument from those that want to charge high cell count Lipo's where bumping the cell count in stage 1 is what you want the charger to do.

Actually, that points out the main problem that the Astro 109 has with trying to solve with the "auto cell count" for both smaller <4S and larger >4S packs.

For the high cell count packs the ASTRO is safer than a user set cell count, but for the small packs that does not appear to be the case.

Brad
bradpaul is offline Find More Posts by bradpaul
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 28, 2005, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2001
3,269 Posts
So..........

Can you on record here stating that all of your chargers, lipoly packs are perfect and never cause any problems?

If not, why don't you stay away from this thread, it's about a 109 charger, nothing that FMA makes.

thanks,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Marks
About 90 % of Li Po fires have been caused when you have to remember.
sjslhill is offline Find More Posts by sjslhill
Old Nov 28, 2005, 01:17 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,512 Posts
Due to this announcement
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/announcement.php?f=129

all are now fair game.
It looks like perhaps the only safe way to set a LiPoly charger to the correct cell count at 4 cells and greater is by way of taps.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 28, 2005, 01:36 PM
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjslhill
Can you on record here stating that all of your chargers, lipoly packs are perfect and never cause any problems?

If not, why don't you stay away from this thread, it's about a 109 charger, nothing that FMA makes.

thanks,
Steve
We believe that intelligent readers will see the illogic of your cynical request.

The thread has a great deal to do with all of us who sell Li Pos in just the same way as the so-called Super Brain charger does. When a fire occurs, all litigators of liability claims come at all involved and selling a charger that is known to have such a defect affects us all, including you. You wannta know how? The liability insurance premiums come right to you as an part of the price of every Li Po. I personally encountered the problem being discussed immediately after the 109 charger came out, asked Red Scholefield to confirm the fault independently and objectively which he did in the posted referenced , informed the manufacturer and spoke with the designer. We do understand the design issue: an analog pot is used to reset currrent and the microprocessor can not automatically reset current to zero after each charge is complete. We had felt that using a digital pot and reworking the software could be used to mitigate the fault. Understand that the designer is a great guy and is respected by us. Not much more we can do.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Old Nov 28, 2005, 01:47 PM
Joined Jan 2001
3,269 Posts
Nope

No, I think most intelligent readers will make their own decision on what is correct.

thanks,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Marks
We believe that intelligent readers will see the illogic of your cynical request.

The thread has a great deal to do with all of us who sell Li Pos in just the same way as the so-called Super Brain charger does. When a fire occurs, all litigators of liability claims come at all involved and selling a charger that is known to have such a defect affects us all, including you. You wannta know how? The liability insurance premiums come right to you as an part of the price of every Li Po. I personally encountered the problem being discussed immediately after the 109 charger came out, asked Red Scholefield to confirm the fault independently and objectively which he did in the posted referenced , informed the manufacturer and spoke with the designer. We do understand the design issue: an analog pot is used to reset currrent and the microprocessor can not automatically reset current to zero after each charge is complete. We had felt that using a digital pot and reworking the software could be used to mitigate the fault. Understand that the designer is a great guy and is respected by us. Not much more we can do.
sjslhill is offline Find More Posts by sjslhill
Last edited by sjslhill; Nov 28, 2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:17 PM
Joined Jan 2002
6,586 Posts
Fred, I've sent you a PM.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:22 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,239 Posts
To quote from the post by the "expert" referred to above:

"I've been beating on an Astro 109 for a couple of weeks now trying to get it to change the cell count as was reported by a user. Now I have suceeded."

How did he "suceed"? Takes a FULLY CHARGED 700 mAh pack. Cranks the starting current up to 3.7 AMPS (more than 5C). Posts the inevitable result.

All very professional, by both these guys.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:34 PM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D
To quote from the post by the "expert" referred to above:

"I've been beating on an Astro 109 for a couple of weeks now trying to get it to change the cell count as was reported by a user. Now I have suceeded."

How did he "suceed"? Takes a FULLY CHARGED 700 mAh pack. Cranks the starting current up to 3.7 AMPS (more than 5C). Posts the inevitable result.

All very professional, by both these guys.

Actually my favorite part of that thread was that Red was given instructions on how to do that by Greg Covey, FMA Direct, Director of Marketing and Promotions.

I quess that's what you call a "Marketing Promotion" these days.

Brad
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:34 PM
Joined Apr 2004
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjpaul
I believe you might get an argument from those that want to charge high cell count Lipo's where bumping the cell count in stage 1 is what you want the charger to do.

Actually, that points out the main problem that the Astro 109 has with trying to solve with the "auto cell count" for both smaller <4S and larger >4S packs.

For the high cell count packs the ASTRO is safer than a user set cell count, but for the small packs that does not appear to be the case.

Brad
I don't know why anybody (high cell count or not) would have a problem with what we are suggesting.

All that would be necessary would be for the user to confirm the new cell count if the charger changes it. The user has to stand there for the first 3 minutes anyway, doesn't he?

Bob could change the firmware so that the user would just have to turn the current all the way down and wait for a few seconds until the charger beeps to let him know that it saw his acceptance of the new count, then he turns the current back up. Bob wouldn't have to add a button, so no hardware mods. Bob could also make the new chip available for anybody that wanted to upgrade.

Dan
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:46 PM
Suspended Account
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Dec 2000
4,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baldwin
I don't know why anybody (high cell count or not) would have a problem with what we are suggesting.
Dan
Dan, all I am pointing out is that bumping the cell count in stage 1 for high cell count Lipo's is exactly what the charger was designed to do in stage 1.

I personally would not have a problem, but with human nature I am sure somebody will.

Brad
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:49 PM
Joined Apr 2004
2,709 Posts
If you check this post, you will see an example of an Astro 109 jumping to the wrong cell count while charging at 1C. It includes photos of the charger before and after jumping the cell count.

Dan