HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2005, 08:31 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
109 fires?

I have had 2 batteries go up in flame in the last 2 weeks.I dismissed the first one as a lipo problem since it went into a failure on the display screen And before i could get it off it burst into flame on my tailgate of my truck.

The same thing happend today in my garage.I heard the od beep fault on the 109 and went over to it to hear the batt hissing .I opend the can and jerked out the charge plug from the lipo in the amo can ,then it blew up in the can on my bench .
Then the flame shot up and melted the lipos on the shelf above them.
I tried mooving the ones on the shelf, and one fell into the can with the burning one and it ignited too.
At that point i stopped and let it burn before i got hurt.
Now my bench is pitted and alot of things that were in a 5 ft radius are dammaged also.Not to mention 250.00 of lipo's gone.
Has anyone had this type of problem with the 109?
I am not gona use this 109 any more, it is only one month old at best.I have a second 109 that i bought a year ago and never had any problems like this.
What a mess in my garage.The lipo's that i was able to move i think will be fine.I now will be build a cinder block charge bin to charge these all separate,and more anal than before. I am glad i still have my house and my health
Ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2005, 08:52 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Glad it was only a battery or two and not the whole shop.. Every thing is fine??

are both of the 109's using the same firmware version??
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Nov 27, 2005, 08:53 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 2000
2,558 Posts
Have 3 of them. Never had a problem. Did you think about closing the lid on the ammo can?
TGoodwin is offline Find More Posts by TGoodwin
Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:26 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
It was closed until i unpluged it. I was gona try to get it out of the garage asp because of what happened previously.
I will build a lead that can be unpluged from the out side of the can.I have no problem with my other 109 but to have 2 fairly new batts go up on the same charger makes me wonder.

It could have ben way worse.Those 20 c lipo's are way expensive too.Both time it showed a fault on the screen.Then shortly after the burst.
A charger w a pyrometer switch is next.
Ck
Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:35 PM
Suspended Account
USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,340 Posts
sorry to hear about your accident. I would recommend useing a cinder block and put the battery inside of it while carging, or, buy one of those 10 buck fireproof safe boxes.
Spencer J is offline Find More Posts by Spencer J
Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:37 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,547 Posts
Have you read this thread?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443646
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:14 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Thnx rcbable that thread confirms my suspicions for sure.Two types of people in there, ones who have had 109 fires and the ones like me prior to these problems who loved the 109.
The problems with it auto recognizing mine too has chosen the wrong amount of cell before a few times ,but i caught it.
I i didnt these two times of the fires.I am gona get a shultze or somthin w a pyro sensor. It is worth my house my health and my truck.
ck
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:30 PM
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
AF 109 Fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by klique
I have had 2 batteries go up in flame in the last 2 weeks.I dismissed the first one as a lipo problem since it went into a failure on the display screen And before i could get it off it burst into flame on my tailgate of my truck.

The same thing happend today in my garage.I heard the od beep fault on the 109 and went over to it to hear the batt hissing .I opend the can and jerked out the charge plug from the lipo in the amo can ,then it blew up in the can on my bench .
Then the flame shot up and melted the lipos on the shelf above them.
I tried mooving the ones on the shelf, and one fell into the can with the burning one and it ignited too.
At that point i stopped and let it burn before i got hurt.
Now my bench is pitted and alot of things that were in a 5 ft radius are dammaged also.Not to mention 250.00 of lipo's gone.
Has anyone had this type of problem with the 109?
I am not gona use this 109 any more, it is only one month old at best.I have a second 109 that i bought a year ago and never had any problems like this.
What a mess in my garage.The lipo's that i was able to move i think will be fine.I now will be build a cinder block charge bin to charge these all separate,and more anal than before. I am glad i still have my house and my health
Ck
Please read Post # 8:

(http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2231439)

The fault described in that post has not been corrected as of this date.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Old Nov 28, 2005, 01:20 AM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,214 Posts
The 109 is a pretty good charger, just have to remember to check the cell count after you plug the pack in to make sure its correct
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Nov 28, 2005, 07:33 AM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco8gator
The 109 is a pretty good charger, just have to remember to check the cell count after you plug the pack in to make sure its correct
The charger can change the cell count any time in the first 3 minutes, so checking the cell count when you first hook the battery up is not enough.

Klique; is it possible that the packs were already charged when you hooked them up?

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Nov 28, 2005, 07:41 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,541 Posts
There is one simple work around for those who can not or will not watch the 109 during the first 3 minutes (stage 1). Set the charge rate to zero and leave it there until stage 2 starts then set the charge rate.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=58

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 28, 2005, 07:46 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGoodwin
... Did you think about closing the lid on the ammo can?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355739
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:00 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 2000
2,558 Posts
The newer 109's beep when they switch charge modes so a quick check of the cell count when you hear the beep should not be a problem. After all you are still near the charger attending the charge rite?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:19 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 2000
2,558 Posts
I am not saying close the lid while charging to try and contain the intial fire ball. I think that would make things worse trying to contain it. I would charge in the ammo can and if the pack errupts then the fire will be contained and directed upwards. Once the intial fire ball errupts then close the lid to deprive the fire of O2 but do not latch it. I always carry fire extinguishers when dealing with Lipo's and have several mounted on the walls around the house, kitchen, garage, etc.. Seems to me if you try and contain the intitial fireball in a sealed steel can all you will do is pressurize the can and make a bomb.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:44 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGoodwin
The newer 109's beep when they switch charge modes so a quick check of the cell count when you hear the beep should not be a problem. After all you are still near the charger attending the charge rite?
Wouldn't it ne neat if it beeped the cell count it selected twice before it moved on.

beep beep beep
beep beep beep

OK, it recognized my 3 cell pack correctly.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy