HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2005, 04:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
11 Posts
New to forum!!! Have some questions.

i have a few questions about setting up a new electric buggy. my very first car was an rc 10 with the gold aluminum tub. in fact i still have one that is practically brand new. i know this hobby/sport has come a long way since the late 80s. i am looking to get back into it. more as a hobby than anything but everyone knows there is a competitor inside all of us. from what i understand my old rc 10 would not be very competive. i am looking into buying the new rc10 b4 factory team edition. here is where all the questions begin. i need some opinions on what to buy. i remember novak was a great name in the esc industry back then. i still see them around. i am looking to go with a brushless setup. beings i was a kid when i first started with rc's and my dad set up my car, i have no clue what to do. i am willing to learn as much possible and any information would be greatly appreciated. i need the whole 9 yards. what batteries i should use, charger, radio system. thanks in advance for any info.
nawlinsborn73 is offline Find More Posts by nawlinsborn73
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:21 PM
Joined Apr 2005
219 Posts
A budget would be very helpful with this type of question
trdmatrix is offline Find More Posts by trdmatrix
Old Nov 28, 2005, 06:48 AM
Joined Nov 2005
11 Posts
oh sorry!!! i am looking to keep it stock class. less the car i am looking to spend about 800-1000.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:25 AM
Joined Aug 2005
88 Posts
that budget amount give you a lot of options. for that amount and being your not a little kid asking this question, in your case, I'd probably go 1/10 nitro. I recently got back into RC cars, I had one when I was a kid as well.

it also depends on how your local track runs its races. I raced my bone stock electric recently and it was a bit of an eye opener. they ran the races on skill rather then class (except for of the 1/8 scale vehicles, which had different classes, but it was still pretty simple. ie monster truck nov/exp, 1/8 buggy nov/exp, etc) so 1/10 beginner ran both electrics and nitros in the same class. 1/10 novice/ama didn't have a single electric. in fact there were only 3-4 electrics that night as we all ran 1/10 beginner and there were 9 races that night. So for me, the electric is fun and pretty fast for my little backyard course but it pailed in comparison on the track.
xenracer is offline Find More Posts by xenracer
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:05 AM
Joined Nov 2005
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenracer
that budget amount give you a lot of options. for that amount and being your not a little kid asking this question, in your case, I'd probably go 1/10 nitro. I recently got back into RC cars, I had one when I was a kid as well.

it also depends on how your local track runs its races. I raced my bone stock electric recently and it was a bit of an eye opener. they ran the races on skill rather then class (except for of the 1/8 scale vehicles, which had different classes, but it was still pretty simple. ie monster truck nov/exp, 1/8 buggy nov/exp, etc) so 1/10 beginner ran both electrics and nitros in the same class. 1/10 novice/ama didn't have a single electric. in fact there were only 3-4 electrics that night as we all ran 1/10 beginner and there were 9 races that night. So for me, the electric is fun and pretty fast for my little backyard course but it pailed in comparison on the track.
At my local track they electric/nitro are 2 diff classes. i def want to go electric.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:42 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,893 Posts
go with novak --- it's one of the top brands in rc. and they also have several brushless systems for electric cars, some cost about $240.
TueLe is offline Find More Posts by TueLe
Old Nov 28, 2005, 09:20 PM
Joined Nov 2005
11 Posts
ok so this is what i wouln up getting. i bought the rc10 b4 factory team buggy kit. novak gtb 6.5 brushless,3 ib3800 assembled packs from boomboom, the duratrax ice charger, and a spektrum dx3 radio. now all i have to do is hope it doesnt blow up in my face when trying to put it together!!!!
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:09 PM
Joined Apr 2005
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawlinsborn73
ok so this is what i wouln up getting. i bought the rc10 b4 factory team buggy kit. novak gtb 6.5 brushless,3 ib3800 assembled packs from boomboom, the duratrax ice charger, and a spektrum dx3 radio. now all i have to do is hope it doesnt blow up in my face when trying to put it together!!!!
1. RC10 B4 buggy factory team kit = Great choice (also consider losi's 2wd and 4wd electric buggy)
2. Novak Brushless system = Awesome choice (IMO nothing better out there, yet)
3. 3 X IB 3800 = Don't know much about them (you might want to check if 3800 cells are race approved; I heard some places don't allow them)
4. Duratrax Ice Charger = also awesome (I have one for my planes and cars; great charger for the money)
5. Spektrum DX3 = You can do better. Hitec SRX radio and spektrum module would cost you about the same as the DX3, but the hitec has more features and IMO feels better. I personally use the Airtronics M11, I love the radio but one gripe I have is that it doesn't feel as balanced as the M8 (M11 seems a little front-top heavy)
trdmatrix is offline Find More Posts by trdmatrix
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:09 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,893 Posts
have u heard of the electric 'predator' buggy? its the sweetest off-road car ive ever seen --- maybe even the best...
TueLe is offline Find More Posts by TueLe