HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:05 PM
überprüfen Sie Ihre sechs
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Discussion
Cox P-40 micro warbird build and mod thread

I just had to get one of these 20.00 kits and check them out! I wanted to replace rudder with ailerons, hoping to move weight forward since some have had to add weight. First order of business was to mark where the fuse contacts the wing one half at a time and fire up the dremel! I noticed the plastic layer about 1/4" from top of foam so I used a small screw to secure front of servo to the wing, and a small piece of ply with a few drops of epoxy to secure and level the rear. I dug down about 17mm in the front and still had a few mm to spare from breaking thru, not sure if the other models will have the same space, my buddy is building the P-47 and will prob post his findings.
czechyour6 is online now Find More Posts by czechyour6
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:21 PM
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
The HS-55 still seems to be the best bang for the buck for a 16.00 servo, the small servo x arm that comes installed does seem to work with the Dubro micro aileron kit and included EZ connectors, but clearance under the wheel next to the servo is TIGHT,so I decided to use the small thin arm and used the inside holes, chopped off the rest. Next it was time to cut the Ailerons. DO use a new single edge razor, the plastic skin on the wing is tough and even appears to dull razors quickly. I used a straight edge and used the marked flaps and part of the marked scale ailerons about 6 5/8" total length. The new razor made such a difference on how the foam tries to shred or gall up. NOTE: The inside edge of the aileron was under the fillet of the fuse, so you may need to cut that edge even with fillet or a little further in. Just put fuse on wing before cutting and mark it.
Last edited by czechyour6; Nov 26, 2005 at 10:47 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:34 PM
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
Looks great so far, I want one,2,3....Where did you buy yours,online?
stirlingnut is offline Find More Posts by stirlingnut
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:37 PM
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
An old floppy disk was sacrificed to the gods and tough hinges were born! A sharp exacto seemed to work fine for cutting slots. I glued them into the aileron first with foam safe CA, then quickly hit ca on hinges and control wire and stuck it together quick. Make sure you leave a small gap but not too large, I got mine close to .5 mm ,I also trimmed a tiny strip of plastic skin on top and bottom of front aileron so I could bevel the front foam of the ail. The plastic is so tough, the sander block did not appear to move it quickly or evenly. Glued both sides, adjusted links and WALA! At 80% travel I was getting 5mm up & down travel. If you noticed I did dremel off the snap on nubs and did use some 4-40 blind nuts so the wings would come off with nylon or metal screws.
I also decided to cut an opening in the top under the canopy, this way you can see and access some of your electronics. It also makes it easy to see where you need to dremel back the foam so the aileron rods dont hit when they swing back. The aileron setup is a snug fit inside the fuse, the set screws barely touch the sides, I may buzz a little clearance with the dremel. Got mine from cox models directly, 7.99 to ship 2 of them from Colo to Utah.
Last edited by czechyour6; Nov 26, 2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:00 PM
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Space is tight but managable. A little dremel did the trick, the servo arm may not clear the charge plate since I do plan to use it, but I have a feeling the dremel and cutting torch will be summoned , not sure If I will use a 350mah 2 cell lipo (22G) ( found em for 15.00) or keep hunting for the heavier 1/3AAA 6 cell pack. I did not find the one Cox makes on their site.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 08:04 AM
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
Can't wait for a de-breifing on how the first straffing run at the enemy goes
Old Nov 27, 2005, 03:01 PM
zagnutz fiend
tulsa,ok
Joined Jul 2004
1,426 Posts
motors

I've been playing with some foamies I got off ebay,using 20mm cdroms. Now I'm thinking one of these little 6 tooth stator screamers might be the ticket on a cox warbird.Anybody using small cdrom motors on these planes?
Old Nov 27, 2005, 08:21 PM
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
That might be the ticket, I was wondering which brushless motors would work in these cox planes. I just ordered a pixie 7 ESC and the etec 450 lipo, I will go with DaveG and others recommendations and try this battery out! I did stick the elevator servo to the Right half of the fuse and did finish the tail feathers. I used more floppy disc hinges and kept them next to the edge of the bevel, Didnt want to use tape. I will prob tack a small piece of flat carbon rod across the rudder to keep it straight and solid. I didnt want to have to paint this bird too much, but did not want to use the flying tigers markings, even though they look nice, I always have to be different, maybe one of these! As you can see, only decals and a color change to the spinner will be needed for the Texas Longhorn.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:24 PM
KC5UH transmits -------->
Arlington, Texas
Joined Aug 2002
678 Posts
Wala??????

I got a great chuckle out of your post #4 . It sure as heck sounds like you spelled it, but you know the French and their WEIRD pronunciation of words. The word is actually spelled 'voila'. I remember the first time I saw it in print in a book - vo-ila, what the heck . I don't remember now how I found out the correct pronumciation.

David
ham2405 is offline Find More Posts by ham2405
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:09 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
46 Posts
G'day,
I have just finished converting a me109, with pretty much exactly the same setup as czechyour6. Just waiting on to borrow a mates small 450mah li-pol pack for it's maiden, and for the wind to die down. I am using a small 20mm cdrom motor from aircraft-world for power. It is a 9 tooth stator with 9 winds of 0.5mm wire per tooth terminated in star. Puts out around 110g thrust on a 5 inch prop at 3 amps. Should be sufficient to fly I hope... fingers crossed!

p-40 looks great! got one sitting in the box waiting on the outcome of the me109. Good luck!
aquilaproject is offline Find More Posts by aquilaproject
Old Nov 28, 2005, 04:50 AM
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
oui, oui, mi french est very poure hehe, Aquila, is your ME109 the hobbico one? I just found all the models made by them, wow now the gears are turning in mein kopf I may look at the 180 motor since it may last longer with the 2 cell lipos
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:45 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
46 Posts
Yeah czechyour6, mine is the hobbico one. Cox wasn't in the posisition to say whether they could deliver down under. So I just ordered a few from hobby lobby. the Me109 is to eb the test bed, with the p-40 the final keeper! I also reinforced the wing with a carbon spar, as well as sheeted the bottom of the wing with 2mm depron to aid in tip stall reduction. Hope it works!
aquilaproject is offline Find More Posts by aquilaproject
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:11 PM
RC Addict
Providence Village, TX
Joined Feb 2005
251 Posts
(Also posted in the sortie thread, but wanted to make sure everybody saw this that is looking for Lipo's for these planes, excuse the cross-post):

FYI - I read this thread today and startedplanning my P-47! The are very cool little planes!

When looking for a battery I ran across this - Rocket Sport 2s 480 lipo - $8.
RCGroups post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446337
Direct link: http://www.stuffwelike.net/store/pro...cat=394&page=1

It's basically the same weight as the e-tec and comeswith JST. Can't beat the price. I already ordered one. Shipping for one via USPS first class was $1.99 (could have come faster for a tad more, but I havne't even ordered the P-47 yet!!).

I'm not sure I shouldn't have ordered more!
RyanF is offline Find More Posts by RyanF
Old Nov 28, 2005, 08:57 PM
Central Utah
Joined Feb 2005
480 Posts
Good price for the Lipos, there may be a problem though. The size is 51 x 32 x 10 mm and the 22 to 25 mm wide ones seem to barely fit the P-40. Also it shows discharge rate at 5 A, is this the same as 5c? I know 10 C would prob put out the juice better. the Etec is a 10C pack and is 60 x 22 x 10 mm Actually, that battery may fit ok because it is shorter so it can go rearward away from the nose more
Last edited by czechyour6; Nov 28, 2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 10:04 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,574 Posts
A 480 lipo at 5 amps would be 10C.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans