HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2005, 01:42 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Photos of 20-turn 26awg 20mm CDROM Wind

I don't know if this is the best way to wind a 20-turn or not, but it's how I do it. Would have been nice to see some pix and hints like this when I started.

The 20-turn might be seen as something of a gold standard. You can fly it 2s 9x5 for sedate pooching around or 3s 8040 for monster thrust (measured at ~ 16oz).

I begin by winding a few turns around any arm to keep the wire in place while starting my first arm. After I get the first arm wound, I unwrap the wire (it will be the third arm of the phase) and stick it into the rear bearing to keep it out of the way. Did I mention that I put the bearing holder on before winding? Why do it any other way?

After I finish the first two phases, I tape the wires to the tube, also to keep them out of the way.

NOTE: The best justification for this thread existing at all is the wire smooshing & packing tip later on by Galloping_Gimp. Using an old trimmed prop to massage the wires has turned out to be extremely useful. You can wedge the wires in a bunch of different ways; experimentation and experience might surprise you how handy this tip is!
timocharis is offline Find More Posts by timocharis
Last edited by timocharis; Jan 24, 2006 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Add note about great tip later in thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2005, 01:47 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
First Row: Eight Turns on Back

After the first eight turns, it should look something like this. A "turn" is when the wire crosses the back after it has started around. This degree of "neat" will do the job.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 01:51 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Smoosh The Wires

After the first row goes down, you should smoosh the wires flat against the arm. I use a bit of carbon fibre flat rod, but other folks report good results from toothpicks, wooden bbq skewers, whatever.

I know if I can fit this rod in, the next row will go. You should also smoosh the full wind back in as well (after you do the full 20 turns).
Old Nov 26, 2005, 01:55 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
8-1/2 From the Rear

After your smoosh, snug in the ninth front turn, which should just barely fit in. Finishing this turn will require sort of looping outside the eighth rear turn on the outer part of the other side. Note how flat the wires look on the arm after the smoosh.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 02:00 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Back Down To Sixteen

Okay, now neatly work you way back to the center, which should get you easily to sixteen. You'll note once you get there that you could go another turn without any difficulty. However, I like to have at least three outer turns (brings the wire back to about the right place) so we're going to be luxurious and leave some center space. This ensures an easy wind.

In this picture, we have not quite completed the sixteenth turn. If you look to the left, you'll see what the loopover looks like.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 02:05 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Out and Back to 20

The loopover takes you back to the outside of the tooth while completing turn sixteen. Turns 17-19 work you back in toward the center (leaving three full turns on the third layer, all out at the end where you have tons of room).

The end of turn 20 will loop back to the center and head to the next tooth, so technically this picture is at 19-3/4 turns (I'm holding the not-yet-looped wire off to the left with my thumb).
Old Nov 26, 2005, 02:11 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Finished Back

After you loop it over, this is what you get. On the very last tooth, I like to insert the wire under the transit from the last tooth rather than leaving the wire dangling loose. This is pretty easy if you leave a lot of leader on the wire.

If you're a little sloppy, you'll have something that looks like this:
Old Nov 26, 2005, 02:13 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
From The Front

Doesn't look much different from the front.

Dave North
November 2005
Old Nov 26, 2005, 02:35 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Last edited by sgtdirt; Mar 01, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:52 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
I'd be interested to hear how that turns out. I've done a few 17-turn 26awg motors (fine 2s easy-on-the-battery wind) but never have gotten my hands on any 25awg that I like. Sounds like it should be a good motor.

Dave
Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:51 AM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Great thread Dave, should be a big help to newbies! Can I throw in a tip? I've found that it really helps if instead of installing the bearing tube first, use a wooden (or metal) dowel that has been trimmed to fit inside the bearing hole. Use something at least a foot long, preferably longer. This really makes it easy to hold while winding, and you can even clamp it in a vise.
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb
Old Nov 27, 2005, 01:09 PM
USA, NM, Belen
Joined Oct 2004
69 Posts
Dave
Very Clever. I am going to give your method a try. Thanks
Mike
zbend is offline Find More Posts by zbend
Old Nov 27, 2005, 06:00 PM
Dave North
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Apr 2004
5,254 Posts
Rick, how do you keep the wires spread wide enough to let you insert the bearing tube later? That always vexes me...

zbend, I've never been through Belen, though I've been all over NM. But not that one stretch between Albuquerque and Socorro. Huh. Like it there? (I'm an NM fan).

Dave
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:22 PM
Why aren't you out flyin?
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Joined Mar 2004
2,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timocharis
Rick, how do you keep the wires spread wide enough to let you insert the bearing tube later? That always vexes me...

Dave
If possible I'll try to take some pics in the next few days. My camera sucks though so don't expect too much. I've only done it this way once before and it wasn't recent but I plan to wind another and I'll figure it out again because it was really easy to wind. Someone suggested this idea to me but I don't recall who it was.
-Rick
colbyweb is offline Find More Posts by colbyweb
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:33 PM
Ohio, USA
Joined May 2002
1,623 Posts
Dave-

The vendors of brushless motor kits would do well to point their customers to this thread. After winding a few motors, I think most people will tend to develop techniques similar to what you have shown, but first-timers could save themselves a lot of aggravation by seeing this thread before they begin.

Your excellent photos are a classic case of a picture being worth a thousand words. By the way, I do my smooshing with square toothpicks for the first layer and a prop blade later on when there is less room.

Perhaps this thread can be made a sticky. Moderators?

- Jeff
galloping gimp is offline Find More Posts by galloping gimp