SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2006, 07:03 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Just had to call and tell ya, Love that fuselage it's a beaut. Can't wait to see the tail assemblies.

erich
erich is online now Find More Posts by erich
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2006, 08:56 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erich
Just had to call and tell ya, Love that fuselage it's a beaut. Can't wait to see the tail assemblies.

erich
Erich,
If you think it looks good now, just wait until I finish shaping it. With those big, voluptuous wing fillets blending in to those long, slender wings......I think I need a cold shower!
Jon
trident58 is online now Find More Posts by trident58
Old Feb 08, 2006, 11:14 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Oh Oh! You need to get out of the shop, more. But the truly scary thing is: I know what you mean. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

erich
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:59 AM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Everyone's least favorite job-wing alignment.
Spent about 2 hours alingning the wings, and then I spot glued the rod in place using a mixture of 5 minute epoxy and colloidal silica. The incidence isn't perfect-yet. I'll get that set when I do the incidence pins. To securely glue in the wignrod, I'm going to build a 1/8" ply box around it, attached to the fuse sides. I'll fill that box with the epoxy/silica mixture to properly secure it. Also, the fuse sides at this point are 3/4" thick (the rod goes through the 1/2" fillets) so that's an additional large gluing area.
Jon
Old Feb 16, 2006, 09:49 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Installed the alignment pins today. I used my wife's desk, flipped over, for an alignment gauge (checked to make sure it was parallel first). Thank God for an understanding wife! I had trimmed the panels to fit as close as possible to the wing roots, plugged everything together, and then epoxied the pins in place. Next step is to add the ply root ribs (to both the wings and the fillets).
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:01 AM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Added the 1/32" ply wing fillet root airfoil. The plans called for 1/8" ply, but I figured that since I'm glassing this area, the 1/32" should be enough. Also, since I'm using a much stronger wing joiner, there won't be as much movement when the wing is in place. A matching rib is also going to be glued to the wing root. I'm trying to get the surfaces to mate as tightly as possible so I won't need tape to cover the joint.
I've started shaping the fillet, using a shot glass wrapped in sandpaper (hey, whatever works)
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:37 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
trident58

Beautiful, I wanna a Durex. Actually just want to build that fuselage. Have used many things as sanding blocks but never a shot glass. A curve & a taper.....cool. Can't remember, did you make the ribs for this plane? Keep it coming.

erich
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:19 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Erich, this one's for you
I spent most of today sanding and planing the fuselage. My arm got so damn sore I had to take a break and go for a 10 mile run so I would hurt somewhere else and take my mind off my sore arm. If you've ever tried sanding and planing cross-grain balsa, you know what I mean.
The plans have the fuse being sanded to an oval cross-section. As you can tell from the pics, I've got a way to go.
Jon
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:40 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Jon

Kinda of coincidence, just got done sanding the stabs for Sagitta XC. Had to go from 9/16" down to 3/16" at TE. Took an hour each stab half. My arm was twice as soar as yours, and if someone had given me the idea to induce more pain elsewhere in hopes of taking my mind of this pain, I would have gladly, ran, hiked, skied, kayaked, or whatever.
I don't know, from the pics, looks like your making good progress. That fillet looks mightly smooth. Almost looks like you carved that whole fuselage outta 1 hunk of wood. While I'm here, where did you get the Durex plans? You probably already said somewhere, but I forgot. Well gotta go pin the main wing panel, plans, to board. Time for the main event.

erich
Old Feb 18, 2006, 08:51 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Erich, If you're interested, the Durex is from www.rcmmagazine.com, plan #828, $16.50. With your building skills, it should go together real easy. The most daunting task for me, at least at first, was the wing ribs, but it ended up taking me only a few hours to cut all of them out.
Been following your Sagitta XC build. Couple years ago, I thought about building one from the DC Hobby semi kit, but the shear size of that thing scared me away. Also, I was more into electric sailplanes back then, and I can't imagine the cost of a power setup to fly that monster!
Jon
Old Feb 19, 2006, 09:25 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Started the horizontal stabilizer. This uses a construction method I haven't seen before. Instead of using ribs to get an airfoil cross section, it uses 1/16" x 1/4" strips, bent over a central, full-depth spar, to get the airfoil section. After you do the top strips, you have to flip the stab over and do the bottom side.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:14 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Jon

The more I see of your build the more I like that plane. That's a real good looking stab. Built at least one plane using these strips for ribs (might have been a BOT). Looks simple and efficient. A little extra work jigging up the TE and LE, but probably not as much sanding with this method. Ordered the Durex plans from RCM a little while ago. Now I can see what your really up to with this plane. Have 2-3 other planes on my list so will not get to Durex for awhile. Looking forward to seeing what this plane looks like with the tail on. Keep em comin.

erich
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:45 AM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Just finished the stab, but I'm having second thoughts about it. It looks nice, is reasonably light, but it just has no torsional rigidity. You can easily twist the tips 1" either way. I know the monokote will help stiffen it out, but I just can't shake the thought of fluttering the tail on launch. I think I'll build a new stab with the same shape/airfoil, but use the construction technique that I used on my Airtronics Cumic.
Jon
Old Feb 20, 2006, 02:30 PM
Vienna, Virginia, United States
Joined Sep 2001
419 Posts
[QUOTE]Just finished the stab, but I'm having second thoughts about it. It looks nice, is reasonably light, but it just has no torsional rigidity.

Same constr as the Windfree and BOT (original BOT kit by Thornburg has filler wedges between top & bottom ribcaps). Torsional rigidity would increase a bunch by adding diagonal top/bottom caps btw the those existing chordwise. Go opposite directions top vs bottom (look like "X" in plan view) - eh, maybe not, unbalanced stresses might make LE/TE "wiggle" (wet strips in middle to relieve stress?). Salvages what you have, not much weight increase. Good Lift!
raschow is offline Find More Posts by raschow
Old Feb 20, 2006, 06:37 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
583 Posts
Sorry Raschow, I already scrapped the first stab. Just finished assembling the new one. Weighs about the same, is very rigid, but needs a LOT of sanding/shaping. Also not as cool looking. But, it should do the job.
By the way, does anyboby else think this looks a lot like the Viking/Sailaire stab? The whole planform of the Durex is starting to look very much like a slightly scaled-up Viking (long tip panels, large center-section dihedral). The big differences seem to be the thin (9%) airfoil and the higher aspect ratio.
Jon