SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2006, 04:26 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
The first inner wing panel is just about finished. Just needs the top sheeting. I removed it from the building board to check for any warps before I add the top sheeting. I have a perfectly flat ground granite slab at work that I use for some physics class labs, so I'll set the wing on that when I add the top sheeting. That should keep it nice and warp-free.
trident58 is offline Find More Posts by trident58
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2006, 07:45 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
Took a break from working on the wings and did a few things to the fuselage. I cut the canopy loose from the fuse and figured out where the pushrods need to go.
Old Jan 07, 2006, 01:25 PM
Mr Kite
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Nov 2005
111 Posts
Durex V

Found i more pic of Bob Hansing and the Durex V
MrKie is offline Find More Posts by MrKie
Old Jan 14, 2006, 08:21 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
Update

The winter holidays are over and it was back to work last week. As such, I didn't get a whole lot done. I'm just about done with the other inboard wing panel, and I might get a chance to build the tail next week.
Just for fun, I decided to see how much effect the 0.007" carbon and wrapping had on the wings. After I had built the spar/rib assembly, but before adding the carbon, I supported it on both ends and placed 5 lbs. on the middle of the spar. Using a laser level, I measured it sag about 1/4". After I had added all the carbon and wrappings, I did the same- there was no measurable sag. I ended up placing a 10 lb weightlifting plate on the wing, and that gave me about 1/8" sag. So I guess you can say that the thin carbon strips make a pretty big difference.
Jon
Old Jan 16, 2006, 04:27 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
Couldn't wait any longer- I just had to see what this plane is going to look like, so I assembled the basic components on the living room floor. Now I know how big 135" really is. So far, the entire wing is 21 oz. They still need the top sheeting, poly joiners, tips, and spoilers, but a bunch of stuff is going to get sanded/planed off, so I'm hoping the finished wing, before covering, ends up at about 28 oz or less.
Next step is to get the horizontal tail built. Once that's done, I can get to the vertical tail. I figure all the sanding and shaping on this beast is going to take me at least a week.
Jon
Old Jan 22, 2006, 02:49 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
I got the top sheeting on the inboard panels done (mostly). This is a step that I'm obsessive with- I always worry that the sheeting does not properly adhere to the rib tops in front of the spar. As you can see from the first picture, I'm a big fan of using LOTS of weights. I first glued the LE of the sheeting to the LE, waited for that to dry, then smeared Titebond on the rib tops and 30- minute epoxy on the spar. In order to apply pressure to the sheeting evenly, I placed some leftover strips of floor planking on top, and then placed the bricks on top of those. I left the weights on for 8 hours, just to make sure everything had set thoroughly.
For shaping the leading edges I purchased a Great Planes powerplane. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it sure beats using a hand planer. I also cut out the polyhedral joiners from 3/8" birch ply.
Old Jan 22, 2006, 03:04 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Re last photo. Is the brass tube, spot glued in?

erich
erich is online now Find More Posts by erich
Old Jan 22, 2006, 03:17 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
Hi Erich
The tube is already glued in pretty solid. I just didn't put much glue around the inch or so near the root, just trying to avoid making a huge mess with epoxy drooling everywhere (I've got a mild epoxy sensitivity). I also find that pouring epoxy into the void at the end ensures that there are no voids around the tube.
Jon
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:41 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Jon

Clever... even though I put masking tape all around root end of tube, still end up making a mess here. Will give your way, a try, next plane. Just finished installing the joiner tubes on an Oly II.

I always dread, gluing on, wing sheeting. You kinda get one shot at it, and to boot, you gotta work fast. Maybe that's why I prefer open wing structures like the Oly II and the Mirage. Keep up the build, looking forward to next episode.

erich
erich is online now Find More Posts by erich
Old Jan 23, 2006, 07:29 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
Erich,
If you do try my method of gluing the wing tubes, you may have a problem with getting the epoxy to flow into the gaps. What works for me is to "spoon" the epoxy into the gap, and when it seems to no want to go into the void, take a piece of 1/16" wire and kind of jab it in there- the wire breaks the surface tension of the epoxy and allows the trapped air to escape. This method even works pretty well with epoxy/cabosil mixtures (whithin reason, of course).
Jon
Old Jan 29, 2006, 04:23 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
Started doing my least favorite job- sanding wing LE's and shaping tip blocks. I wasn't crazy obout the tip shape shown on the plans, so I created something that looks a bit more modern-just a personal preferance. I also epoxied the ply joiners into the tip panels. With the joiners and most of the sanding/shaping finished, the tip panels are 3.55 and 3.75 oz. each. Looks like the main panels, including spoilers and spoiler servos, will be about 10.5 oz each. I was a bit worried that all the mods I did were going to make the wing weigh a ton, but it looks like they will still be reasonably light. However, I am going to enlarge the rudder a bit to compensate for the increased inertia in the roll/yaw axis.
Jon
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:10 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
One more post for tonight. I temporarily plugged the tips into the main panels, just to check fit/alignment. Placed them next to the wings from my Majestic. Gawd! Now I can see how huge this plane is! Nice thing is, the end is almost in sight. Once I get over the hurdle of installing the wing rod and aligning the wing, it'll be mostly small things, such as LOTS of carving and sanding.
Jon
Old Jan 31, 2006, 09:17 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
Polyhedral joints

Glued the polyhedral joints today. This is another one of those building steps that gets me all stressed out. Come to think of it, most of the upcoming steps (wing joiner/alignment, incidence pins, aligning tail) are critical. Well ,I guess that's what sets building airplanes apart from furniture making
After trimming and sanding the panels to fit, I slathered 30-minute epoxy on the joiners and the two ribs to be mated, and then taped, propped, and weighted everything in place. Once dry, I'll reinforce everything with 2 thin strips of carbon, on top and on the bottom in the spar area, and then glass the whole joint.
Old Feb 05, 2006, 09:00 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
Haven't done anything worth posting a picture lately. It's just been lots of sanding, shaping, and doing small things such as pushrods, servo wire routes, and other time consuming things. I should be getting my wing rod this week, so then will come the big meeting of the main parts. Kind of looking forward to it, but also dreading all that finicky measuring, etc.
Also starting to plan my radio installation. I'm going to use hs-81's in the wings for the spoilers, and probably Airtronics 102's for rudder and elevator. Battery choice is going to depend on how much nose weight I need. There's plenty of space up front to fit a GP3700 pack, but more likely I'll use something in the 1500-2200 mah range.
Speaking of space, if anyone's interested in making an electric version, you could easily fit an AXI 41xx motor up front, and there's room for 18 3300 cells under the wing. You could stay up all week with that combo!
Old Feb 07, 2006, 07:52 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
584 Posts
I just can't resist- this is too beautiful! Almost looks like a Sailaire with a balsa fuselage. Now I'm really motivated to finish this.