Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:47 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Started work on the fuselage today. I normally do the wings first, but I'm still waiting for the wingrod and a few other parts. Since the fuse is so long, it has to be cut out in 2 parts. I taped both sides together to make sure they're identical, and added the 1/2" triangles to both sides. After the glue dries, I'll need to sand them again so they'll match.
Would have been nice to go flying today, but there's 40 mph wind gusts outside. Also, I promised my wife that if I get to build another plane, I have to install new floors in the house. Just what I feel like doing on my vacation.
Jon
trident58 is online now Find More Posts by trident58
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:59 AM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
I've got the basic fuselage assembled now. Sorry no pics- I just broke my digital camera, what do you expect for $20 from Wal-Mart? I'll buy a new one today. Real easy assembly so far. The whole fuse is basically a box made of 1/4" sheet with 1/2" triangles at the corners. I'm going to add a few other small parts, such as the wing fillet base, and then move on to the wings. I'm still waiting on some parts, so I'm kind of limited as to what I can work on.
Craig, if you like working with lots of wood, you're going to love this plane! In looking at the fuse, I can't help but notice how similar it looks to a Challenger's. I wonder if this would make a good full-house woodie Maybe next time. I'd better keep this one simple.
Jon
Old Dec 23, 2005, 04:26 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Allright! Just got a new digital camera. I just added the wing fillets, so I'm done with the fuselage for the meantime. I'll start on the wings tomorrow.
Last edited by trident58; Dec 23, 2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 05:15 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Started the outer wing panels. I'm deviating from the plans in that I am going to make it a full D-tube. It's a minimal weight increase and should add a lot of strength. It's a relief when you're scratch building to see that your spars actually fit the notches in the ribs.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 07:46 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Alright, this is it for tonight- time to get into the Christmas eve festivities. Finished the shear webs and added the top spar cap. Also glued on the leading edge. Made sure that the LE was glued to all ribs and along the entire length of the bottom sheeting.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 08:33 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Well, this is all that got done today. Word of advice- when your friends say the batch of Lynchburg lemonade you just mixed up is too strong, don't try to prove them wrong by drinking all of it. The smell of Titebond was making me heave. Had to ride my bike about 85 miles to get everything out of my system. Anyway, I built the joiner box around the spars out of 1/8" ply, and glued the leading edge of the top sheeting to the LE. I'll get back to doing some real work tomorrow.
Jon
Old Dec 26, 2005, 07:59 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Didn't get much done today. My flooring project has kind of taken on a life of its own- as soon as we finish one room, the wife and I decide to do another room. Anyway, the first wingtip panel is finished, except for the tip block and sanding the LE. Weight, as shown, came out at 3.2 oz. Let's see how the other tip compares.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 09:53 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
First big build dilemma- originally, I was planning on laminating some 0.007" carbon to the inner wing panel spar caps. However, on seeing how rigid the spars on the tip panels are (1/8 x 3/8" spruce) I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be necessary. The inner panels use 1/8 x 1/2" spruce for the spar caps, with shear webs that go from 1/2" to 1/4" near the tips. I am going to wrap the spars with CF/kevlar tow, and since I have have no intention of giving this plane a full-pedal launch, I've got a feeling the CF laminate is overkill. Any opinions?
Jon
Old Dec 28, 2005, 01:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,744 Posts
If you're not going to zoom it, don't build it for zoom launches. I would probably make the top spar cap 1/4 X 1/2 spruce, just for peace of mind, if it were mine. But then again, if you're using that 1/2" aluminum joiner you were talking about, I'd use the carbon.

Wing strength isn't all about launching. I sometimes bring my Houston Hawks down from speck altitude to 200 feet in 20 seconds. Point the nose at the ground, (grit your teeth if it's your first time,) and pull out when you feel the need. People still can't believe it's a woody. I did the same thing with my Legionair that had teh same spar setup as the Hawks, with the same result. Wing strength is more about peace of mind than anything.

Jack Womack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:00 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Thanks Jack,
Yeah, you're right- it is all about peace of mind. It's not just the launches I'm worried about. If (when) I do something stupid and have to pull up in a hurry, I want to make sure all of the major parts follow the same trajectory . Although I doubt this plane will even come close to matching a Houston Hawk for strength.
As far as the build is going, I finished the other tip panel last night, and I'll start the main panels this afternoon.
Jon
Old Dec 29, 2005, 05:24 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
New wings, on my new floor!

Fallen way behind on this build. Blew out my back yesterday, and spent most of this morning standing totally upright, unable to bend at the waist. At least I was able to do some sanding and trimming on the tip panels. I also laminated the CF to the spruce mainspars, using 30 minute epoxy and lots of weights.
Back's starting to feel a bit better, so maybe tomorrow I can make some real progress.
Jon
Old Dec 29, 2005, 08:20 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Started main wing panel. My plan of attack here is to first build a spar/rib/joiner box assembly over the plans, remove from the plans and then wrap the assembly with carbon or kevlar, and then attach it to the bottom sheeting and capstrips laid out over the plans.
In the picture, I've got the first 2 ribs glued to the spar, with the 1/2" shear web between them. Once that dries, I'll have a firm base to glue the 17/32" joiner tube and the 1/8" ply joiner box sides to. I just hope I can keep this whole mess properly aligned.
Jon
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:04 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Wing joiner box

Installed the 17/32" joiner tube and built the joiner box around it. I used 1/8" plywood for the box sides, and rounded the edges to allow the top to wrap around cleanly. The voids around the joiner tube are going to be filled with a mixture of slow-cure epoxy and West Systems #602 colloidal silica. I'll use that same mixture to adhere the top spar cap.
Old Jan 01, 2006, 03:30 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
spar/rib assembly

Just finished the first spar/rib assembly. Next step is to remove from board and wrap with carbon fiber/kevlar tow. Before removing from the board, I notched the TE to help keep all the ribs in proper alignment later.
Jon
Old Jan 02, 2006, 01:58 PM
granada hills. Ca
Joined Nov 2004
582 Posts
Spar wrapping

Removed spar assembly from board and wrapped with carbon and kevlar. The inboard 18" or so was wrapped with 6K tow, the tip joiner box was wrapped with kevlar thread, and the rest was wrapped with 3k tow. To keep everything stuck together, I then painted the sides of the spar with finish coat epoxt that had been thinned a little with ethanol. I'll use epoxy when I glue the sheeting to the spar to keep the wrappings properly bonded.