SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:16 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Cox Sky Cruiser Ducted Fan Mod

Well, I finally got around to modding out the "Sky Cruiser" I put a GWS RX in, 2 GWS Naro servos and smacked on some balsa elevons. Glued and taped it all back together with the stock fan in it just to see what will happen. Didnt have to do anything with the CG, it came out perfect.

First flight... 7.2v 300mah stock battery, flew nice and smooth, but barely enough to keep it in the air. So....how about an 11.1v lipo! Oh yeah, plenty of power now! For about 20 seconds till that magic smoke came rushing out of the little bitty motor! Time to get a GWS EDF40 for it I guess.

After the "flight" I told the wife and 4 year old (Kameron) that the magic smoke came out of the motor. I went inside and Kam tells the wife "We gotta get daddy some more of that magic smoke for his airplanes for Christmas"! Man kids are cute!

Heres a pic fer ya. Hope ya'll had a good Turkey Day! Gobble Gobble
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2005, 08:05 PM
hardhats required
ks, usa
Joined Feb 2004
438 Posts
I tried this with the Jet model. Resembles the F4 Fantom kind of. Went with rudder throttle and elevator. It would barely stay airborn. And the motor was also weak. I since went to other projects and the jet hangs on the wall for maybe a future project.

I would bet a new stronger EDF would get her up again. Just too many projects right now.

See ya,
Rod
rchotrod is offline Find More Posts by rchotrod
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:18 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
I have one of those as well. Flew great for a few flights, but gave out. I'll have to get some extra electronics and try an EDF version.
TopFoam is offline Find More Posts by TopFoam
Old Nov 26, 2005, 08:41 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
I discussed this with another guy awhile ago. He did his with a GWS EDF40. He said it was almost a perfect fit inside the fuse, if I remember right, he said it flew pretty well. I think a EDF40 with a brushless would make it scream, we will see if I ever get around to ordering one.

Laine
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Nov 26, 2005, 04:05 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
I just tried it stock, with a 900 2S Lipo I had. It worked pretty good. Good neough for my little one to have fun with. Maybe I'll just keep it like that for a little while.
TopFoam is offline Find More Posts by TopFoam
Old Nov 26, 2005, 04:18 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
I've got the one that looks like the sort-of A-4/F-4

the original motor flew it sort-of with a GWS 4P RX and 2 E-sky servos using the original battery and a GP C-10 ESC.

I switched to a CC Pixie 7P ESC and got much better performance, but the motor smoked in 3 runs.

Stuck in a GWS EDF 40 and performance improved but run time was still limited.

"borrowed the 2s Lipo from my "Super-Flea" (SuperflyRC) and got passable durration, but still couldn't do a loop from level flight.

Using 3s Lipo it works fine. I had to increase rudder to 2.5 times original though. It has trainer level performance.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771