HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2005, 06:29 PM
TRex ate my SPADs...
New Zealand
Joined Nov 2005
20 Posts
HDS877 travel angle adjustment.... Anyone tried these on cyclic?

Hello all, I have a HDS877 on my tail and I really like the servo and would like to try it on my cyclic.

I noticed though, that the servo has very small travel range compared to my other servos (currently bluebird 371) it seems to work properly with right geometry servo arms, it would need slightly more than 90 degrees travel from one end to the other but the best I can get with the servos with all EPA maxed out and my mixing maxed out (swash, aileron and elevator mixes to 100%) I only get 80 degrees or so (with my settings maxed out, when I move my sticks from one maximum to the other the servo stops moving from reaching its own travel limit before my sticks move all the way.

With the power switched off, I noticed that it is possible to move the servo arm more than 90 degrees (about 160 degrees) and the box on the servo says that the travel angle is adjustable.\

Anyone know how to achieve this?

and anyone else used these for cyclics? I would like a lot of travel since as it is the cyclic response is a little too slow for me at max travel.

Thanks
colkiler is offline Find More Posts by colkiler
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2005, 06:35 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2003
4,747 Posts
Have you maxed out your dual rates?.
will p3 is offline Find More Posts by will p3
Old Nov 24, 2005, 07:03 PM
TRex ate my SPADs...
New Zealand
Joined Nov 2005
20 Posts
Yep maxed out everything. The servo will stop moving before the transmitter travels from one end to the other.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2003
4,747 Posts
U using the biggest arm that comes with the pack on the furtherest hole?. "geometry" might be your restriction.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:38 PM
TRex ate my SPADs...
New Zealand
Joined Nov 2005
20 Posts
Yeah, that's my problem right now... with my current servos I'm using around 100 degrees of travel from full down pitch and full cyclic one way to full up pitch and full cyclic the other way. and the geometry is just about perfect. Since HDS877 travels only about 80 degrees the geometry will be all wrong if I use longer arms and also, the longest arm that comes with HDS877 is slightly shorter than the arm I'm using now.

Have you tried a HDS877? how much travel do you have if you have one? I'm wondering if the one I have for my tail is just a funny one. I've never seen a servo with so little travel. How much travel do you use on the servos you have on your rex? (preferebly one on align frame... I heard you have just about every kind of carbon frame there is out there
Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:07 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2003
4,747 Posts
I have one in my hand, but not installed it yet, is this effecting your pitch range?, what radio have you got, there is a swash function in my fut 9 ch that is a seperate adjustment to , atvs etc, just checking you dont have something similair, on mine is swash afr(you might have to increase it if you can if these servos dont travel as much as the ones you had before, you know what i mean?).
Other than that if the servo doesnt moove as much as a normal one then you only option is to re do the geometry once you have installed longer arms(massive pain).
If your servo travelled only a small amount on the tail(that was my next question) then probably ignore all of the above,jametron has one on his tail and i have seen that moove and from what i can remember it appeared "normal" in its travel, did you have probs with it on the tail?, you have three for the swash right?.
I,ve been through a couple of frames :d yeah the align one is my latest.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:42 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,791 Posts
I'm using them on cyclic on an X-400, its been retired but on that frame I could get +/-10 and full cyclic. This setup is being moved to a Rex CF frame so I will know more then. These have quality issues, some are fine others are not so good, I had to try 6 different servos to get 3 that were close with end points...

Here's another test seem that you have them, they have a very distinct step to them hence the resolution is down on something like a hs-56, they are fine on the tail but on cyclic you can see the stepping.
dankers is offline Find More Posts by dankers
Old Nov 25, 2005, 02:19 AM
TRex ate my SPADs...
New Zealand
Joined Nov 2005
20 Posts
I have one on tail and it's been great I've been running it on normal mode and no issues and it holds the tail great for me.

I don't have the servos for cyclic and I'm thinking about getting them since I'll use my bluebird 371's for a 3d foamy I'm getting.. I do have the swash settings on eclipse and I've maxed those out as well but no good since the servo stops moving before reaching the max value.

Dankers, would you mind telling me how much angle your servo moves through at maximum (The maximum angle you can get from one end to the other with end points maxed out.)

Thanks
Old Nov 25, 2005, 04:08 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,791 Posts
Give me a couple of hours and I'll post a video of the cyclic on my KIng it uses these all round

EDIT: Make that photos as its easier to see.
Last edited by dankers; Nov 27, 2005 at 02:35 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 01:17 PM
TRex ate my SPADs...
New Zealand
Joined Nov 2005
20 Posts
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 02:33 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,791 Posts
Sorry this took a bit longer than I would have though, just not enough time in the day.

3 pictures from my king - middle, max high & max low. Only the front servo of course, ignore the others. Sorry it got hid behind the motor a bit but this should give you an idea.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 07:12 PM
Joined Jan 2005
88 Posts
Does anybody know what splline is on this servo?
Will a Futaba, Hitec or airtronic horn fit?
I want to use one on a 18th scale car that I need a digital servo and my jr DS281 wont work because there is no servo saver.
dserratt is offline Find More Posts by dserratt