HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2005, 02:58 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,665 Posts
Aerodromerc Fokker Dr.1 23 3/8" prototype

So I am waiting for a motor to remaiden that big D.VIII and I have an empty building board. On the other hand, there is this cuuuute little triplane Kurt has sent me two weeks ago, very hard to resist. Its size reminds me of the little Albatros D.II and it is powered with a GWS IPS S1, too. There are also some intriguing features like a scale-like aileron actuation. So I just had to start ...

I have done the elevator first. The rudder will have to wait as it's on the opposite side of the plan

The lower two wings are pretty much falling together. The TE is a two-part ply construction similar to Kurt's big Dr.1. As with the D.II, this kit is a much completer short kit, you find pre-cut spars and stringers as well as quite some material for the sheetings, so you will only have to supply your own music wire and the occasional dowel. The IP strut bearings are made of 3/32" balsa.

The wheels are Kurt's standard construction of a balsa core with ply sheets and wheel collars plus neoprene foam tyres. I have put in an aluminum bearing instead of the suggested brass because I was just too lazy to cut brass -- too much of an effort

This will be a sweet little plane! I am planning to add wing-tip skids as I did on my big one and I hope she'll fly just as great as my little Albatros D.II does. I am a bit undecided w.r. to the color scheme. I definitely want this one in brighter colors than Jacob's plane to make flying in the evening possible. I am considering Udet's and Bäumer's color schemes and anything else you might draw my attention to.
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:04 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
edi,
Is there a instruction manual provided with the kit?
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:18 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
I think I need one of these.It would be ideal for the smaller parks I mostly fly in.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:53 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,518 Posts
Looking good so far. Please keep us updated. I want one of these, but didn't want to be the first to build one.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:57 PM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,345 Posts
I've been working on one for a couple of months now. I set it aside to repair some crashed models and finally made some more progress today.

The fuselage is done except for covering on the bottom and adding the U/C. I covered all the wings in silkspan and applied two coats of 50:50 thinned clear dope. On top of this painted the turquoise undersude and CDL tops. When this has dried well, I'll add a coat of clear and then the olive streaks.

Kurt uses a unique aileron control system. The plans show several small screw eyes for the control cables to run through. I did not use these, rather I used the loop ends of small brass safety pins. I also added a small plate out of 1/64" ply at the location of each guide loop.

This caused a problem because you need to run the control cables out through the wing before the wing is covered. I ran fishing line through the guides and rib holes. When the finshed wing is mounted I can attach the actual control line to the end of the fishing line and draw the line up and through the wing by pulling on the fishing line.

Edi is right, this one is a real cutie. Kurt has put out his longest short kit yet. All I needed to provide is music wire, covering and paint. This one may come out a little heavy due to the silkspan & paint finish, so I'll have to run the power numbers once I get a final AUW. If it looks underpowered I'll replace the brushed GWS motor with a brushless one in the S1 gearbox.

I'm about ready to assemble it, but I'm betting Edi will beat me into the air as I build slowly

sp
sperry is offline Find More Posts by sperry
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:58 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,280 Posts
Hey edi, it's lookin good. I want to watch this one as I thought about buying myself one of these for a Christmas present. I have Kurts larger DR1 waiting to be built, but this one looks kind of neat. I am curious to see how you rig up those ailerons!!!!!! Well, I best be getting back to my beloved EIII. Later buddy.......Greg

P.S. are the wing ribs on this one 1/32" balsa or 1/16"?
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Nov 25, 2005, 02:30 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,665 Posts
Steve,
nice to hear your Dr.1 is coming on. I have noticed you haven't made a build thread, so feel free to hijack this one. Might be interesting to have a build discussion here.

Greg,
the ribs are 1/16" execpt for the ribs which take the struts - those are 3/32".

Claybuster,
this is a prototype kit, same as Steve's, so these are w.o. manuals yet. When the prototypes have flown and been considered ok, a manual gets written and provided. It will also most probably be free for download from Kurt's website.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:20 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,665 Posts
OK, there has been a lot of work today but all of it was real-world related
So I'll just show off an upper wing w.o. ailerons on top of the other two
Old Nov 26, 2005, 03:30 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
edi,
Are you doing a stick mount with the gws ips ?
Old Nov 26, 2005, 04:21 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,665 Posts
The ailerons can be seen now. I have decided to cut holes into the ply parts to make them look more scale. The closeup does not only show these cutouts but also the fact that a rib has come loose. Good I am making pictures

The cowling is built up the normal way (for Kurt's models at least), but on this small plane it's all balsa.

The motor mount is a dry-fit to see whether the axle goes through the hole in the cowling (it does ). Yes, claybuster, it's a stick mount. I have replaced the 2.5mm balsa mounting plate with a much bigger 1.5mm ply plate because I am planning to mount the servos next to the motor so I can have motor and servos accessible through a hatch on top of the fuselage. I am planning to use a LiPoly battery pack so I will add less weight to the nose; therefore I am afraid I might run into troubles with the C.G. if I don't push everything I have in front (I certainly don't want to add lead.)

Oh well, probably I'll go way overhead and end up with a nose-heavy Dr.1 again.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 07:42 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
Im watching this one closely. I like everything I've seen so far. Can't wait till its out of the prototype stage and I can get it with instructions. but then if you keep up the thread with good pictures this could be my instructions.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 02:18 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,665 Posts
I'll do my best to keep up, claybuster, but honestly, I think that these planes can actually be built w.o. instructions. When there will be instructions, you'll probably see Steve's and my pictures as Kurt sees fit.
I have done the fuse today. I like building the front part first, then the stick sides, put them on the front and add the cross pieces over the plan. Looks rather straight, actually ... (Hey, I'm getting the hang of this!)
Before fixing the sides I have inserted little aluminum tubes into the bottom of F3 where I'll thread the pull-pulls. Should look scale ...

Everything o.k. so far, but silly me has glued the tailskid mount to the upper longerons
So I had to make a new one - but now I have a mount for another tailskid if I ever want to land inverted

Time for a dry-fit. Please look at the planes this cutie is sitting on. It's Kurt's Fokker D.VIII - THE ELEVATOR!
Old Nov 27, 2005, 03:48 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,280 Posts
Hey edi, just lovely!!!!! I just can't get over your speed. BTW, I ordered one of these little beauties yesterday. She should be loads of fun........Greg

How simialar is the fuse construction compared to the larger version? This one looks a bit simpler.
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Nov 27, 2005, 06:02 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,665 Posts
Very similar. The sides are one piece and w.o. the ply reinforcements.

(And thanks for your nice words, Greg!)
Old Nov 28, 2005, 04:32 PM
St.Petersburg, FL
Joined Feb 2004
1,345 Posts
Edi

So how did it go with the aluminum tubes for the pull/pull wires?

I have tried this with varying degrees of failure, so please incude some photos so I can see how it's done right.

This time I'm trying a different approach. I'm going to cut little ovals of plasticard with a little slot cut in each. I plan to glue them on the covering and then open up the covering under the slot and allow the wires to pass through. Probably not scale on a Dr.I but leather patches were used like this on some real airplanes.

sp
sperry is offline Find More Posts by sperry