HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:04 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
My first Boomerang throws were back in the early 80's when a friend of mine's parents brought back a "tourist boom" from a trip to Australia. I've thought about that boom a lot since then. It was so crappy. I mean Uber Crappy and a wierd freehand shape. I would have to call it a cross between a banana boom and a hook boom. The foils were rasped into just 1 or 2 inches of the underside of the LE to increase the angle of attack only. The whole airfoil was basically just blunt, and a little less than square.

It did have some nice freehand woodburning of some kangaroos that looked like a 3 year old drew them, and a stripe or two burnt onto both arms. I'm sure everyone has seen one of these.

Anyways- with no instruction whatsoever we took the boom to a schoolyard and threw it. It didnt come back. My buddy threw it level to the ground and it climbed up to 80 feet and did a terrific dive back to Earth and stuck in the ground. We did that throw about 20 more times until one of us flung the boom a little more perpendicular and saw it come around (a little) and at least try to return. We tried all sorts of things to get it to return, more snap, less snap, more force, less force, but it would only get to about 3/4 around at most until it finally broke from too much abuse. Probably took us 2 or three days to break it.

Then we glued it back together and tried it again until it broke again, but it flew differently in its second life. Occasionally it would develope negative lift when we threw it really hard and would start curving to the opposite for a second before beginning it's return trip in the normal manner.

When it broke again, it was time to nail it to the wall and use it as conversation pieces.

I took what little boomerang knowledge I had gained and applied it to what little aeronautical knowledge I had accumulated in my very young age and tried to make a boom. Using a coping saw and a very rough wood rasp, a chunk of exterior ply and sandpaper I copied the basic shape and the LE "gouges" from the first one and added some slight rounding and smoothing to the rest of the boom and TE. I think it was my Grandfather that told me a boomerang arm is just a wing, and it made sense to smooth the wing as much as possible.

When I threw that one, it hated being thrown hard, but it did make a good effort to return.

After that I think I got a plastic one from a toy store that sucked worse than the tourist boom, but at least there were some instructions I could follow. Many more plastic ones followed and even one made by NERF that was a 3 blader that worked in the yard. I played with those things almost too much while I was in my gradeschool years. I was hooked on anything that flew.

Then in highschool I was flying RC sailplanes and would bring whatever boomerangs I had to the fields with me. I was lucky enough to have several hundred acres to wander at the end of my street, and flying toys were always near at hand.

A friend of mine and I bought some nice looking booms from the hobby shop and found out what real boomerang technology could do I would throw any boom I could to learn how it handled differently and why. I even took girls out to throw By my senior year in High School, I had quite a collection and was pretty good at throwing. I was also getting into Handlauch RC sailplanes and boomerangs and other free flight gliders were constant companions.

Then I started to make my own with everything I had learned. I still make booms every now and again, but I think I have 20 or 30, so I only make batches when I know I'm going to give some away.

My policy is to have several cheap or homemade booms to give away to anyone who shows any interest. They get a free boom and some instruction.

What I love seeing is someone else in a field playing boomerang and I'll stop over for a throw or two with them. I think it's a neat sport. Just enough running around and walking to bring your heart rate up, just enough body appendage use to feel sore the next day. You can play by yourself or with friends and you can construct your own equipment. You dont have to wear special outfits

Just make sure that anyone who tries to throw one is using a boom that will actually return. Too many people try those tourist booms and give up.

If you build your own, make sure you've thrown a good returning boomerang first, and then make your own to copy it. Paint it a bright orange or red color top and bottom.

Dean
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2008, 02:41 PM
California
Joined Feb 2004
103 Posts
I thought this was a nice find, an RC Groups forum for booms!

I'd have to say I've been a flying addict all my life. Doesn't matter if it's frisbees, booms, kites or FF/RC models.

I started with models built by my dad. And whenever I'd break one of them, we would get out a frisbee and play a little game called 'Sun and Planets' with the neighborhood kids. My dad would stand on a manhole cover and we would take turns from our 'planetary' positions returning the disc to the 'sun'. Most of us learned to be pretty accurate tossing the frisbee back then (60's).

It wasn't until around '99 that I found a nice little boom at the flea market. It said "Gel Booms Sunshine Omega" on the bottom. It was made from the same Fin Birch I was making my longboard skateboards from.

I read up on boomerangs and took it out to a large vacant lot. Wow! It amazed me to see it fly in almost a straight line, then woosh!...up into an arc for the return path, then it hovered ever so slowly back to me. I think it flew perfect 90% of the time. I lost it at my local park one day and never found it after many searches.

I have others in hand now, but none fly as well as that Sunshine Omega.
Juscuz OR is offline Find More Posts by Juscuz OR
Old Jan 02, 2008, 06:51 AM
Rev. David C Fantone
Grants Pass, Or
Joined Aug 2007
83 Posts
Juscuz OR :
hey there, where in Oregon are you? Grants Pass, here. let get in contact, maybe we are neighbors.
David F
Grants Pass, Or
boomerangboo@peak.org
bearboomerang is offline Find More Posts by bearboomerang
Old Jan 02, 2008, 04:02 PM
Jackson, Ms
Joined Jan 2008
6 Posts
Well, new to this site, but not new to Boomerangs.
Been at it from a very early because of my dad.
http://www.theboomerangman.com/
I started making them back in high school and he sold mine through his business. Well, I got in to bikes and working in a bike shop and the Boom making went away for several years. I got back in to making again a few years back, along with other wood things.
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=147723092
This is a great site. look forward to checking out all of it, as before my dad did Boomerangs. He had a hobby shop for about 13 years. The Hobby House, in Monroe, La.
Cars, Planes and Trains.
TheRexman is offline Find More Posts by TheRexman
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:34 AM
Rev. David C Fantone
Grants Pass, Or
Joined Aug 2007
83 Posts
boomerangmans DAD

how cool. i know i have several that i bought off of Richard.

very nice man and always welcomeing to a phone call about issues of flight or sales. NICE goy all around.

David F
Grants Pass, OR
Old Jan 03, 2008, 02:51 PM
California
Joined Feb 2004
103 Posts
Im east of the cascades, south of Bend. If there is word of some Boomerang 'fly-in' this year, I'd definitely try to come.
Juscuz OR is offline Find More Posts by Juscuz OR
Old Jan 04, 2008, 06:53 AM
Rev. David C Fantone
Grants Pass, Or
Joined Aug 2007
83 Posts
there will be the try out for team USA in spring , Seattle. not sure of the dates as of yet. then southern Cal. has one in spring too.

the oregon round up is dead from what i understand. the old boy that put it on every year is Ill and isn't putting it on any more.

if you are in the neighborhood.. keep in touch and will have athrow of our own.

David F.
Grants Pass
Old Sep 01, 2008, 06:27 PM
Tryin 2 get in2 slot cars
Viktoria, British Kolumbia, Kanada
Joined Feb 2005
410 Posts
I've just gotten back into booms more heavily recently.

Just lost my 100-meter Straight Shooter (still in the tree I think). Twice before I've gotten a phone call from someone who found it. Still waiting. Waiting for a new plywood Maximum Time Aloft and 3 more PINK tri-blades.
jay flay tway is offline Find More Posts by jay flay tway
Old Oct 08, 2008, 06:46 AM
Rev. David C Fantone
Grants Pass, Or
Joined Aug 2007
83 Posts
The USBA 2008 National Championships and Exposition is taking place in Mesquite, TX (just outside of Dallas) on October 16-19. If you are anywhere near DFW, you should come out on any of those days to see some great boomerang action. If you can only come one day, Sunday the 19th might be the best as there will be lots of demos and free throwing lessons.

See www.boomerangexpo.com for more info.

posted for burce by :
david F
Grants Pass, Or
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:54 PM
I AM A registered user.
WA
Joined Aug 2008
29 Posts
i got in to ultimate 1 year ago, and the same year my schools A team won Spring Reign, the largest youth ultimate contest in america
bbmaker is offline Find More Posts by bbmaker
Old Nov 15, 2009, 06:05 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1 Posts
Boomerangs

Great to see a boomerang thread on the top RC Airplanes forum on the internet! Hopefully more people will give boomerangs a try. You can check them out at http://www.boomerangs.com or http://www.coloradoboomerangs.com
boomerangs_com is offline Find More Posts by boomerangs_com
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:40 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
I've been down to the boomerangs.com store, they have a ton of cool rangs. I got hooked on the sport when the owner gave me an Eric Darnell pro fly rang for free, I tossed in the park a few times and was instantly hooked. I have been chucking wood in the park for a while now, can't seem to get enough of it, I guess you know you're hooked when you start making them on your own LOL! Tons of fun, I can't believe there aren't more people that are interested in this, it is a great sport!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old May 31, 2011, 02:58 PM
T#0
Steamboat Springs, CO
Joined Aug 2010
623 Posts
last post was sooooo long ago, I think this forum needs removal
PilotKeeg is offline Find More Posts by PilotKeeg
Old Jun 21, 2011, 09:37 AM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,110 Posts
Boom

Wow. Never knew this thread was here. Cool. Always wanted a boomerang. Looks like I need to look for one.
actionplus is offline Find More Posts by actionplus
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:20 AM
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,110 Posts
Booms

Ordered a few boom. It's in the mail.
actionplus is offline Find More Posts by actionplus