HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2005, 08:50 PM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
Question
Aquacraft ATLANTIC tug owners...

Has anyone solved the problem of the very weak and ineffective REVERSE performance of the Atlantic tug? I'm wondering if a two stick radio would be better than the supplied pistol grip type radio...or is this a function of the ESC that is supplied?
Jim Duda is offline Find More Posts by Jim Duda
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2005, 09:14 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
It's partly the design of that model - the prop is a little undersized.
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:11 PM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
Bob - even out of the water, the prop barely turns CW...the trigger hits the transmitter frame when pushed forward...that's why I'm wondering if a two stick Tx will work better.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:51 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,733 Posts
I'm not familiar with the ESC or pistol grip radio that model uses. It sounds like you may need to adjust the ESC - it may have a potentiometer screw for adjusting nuetral & speed; or it may have a "one-touch" puch button to set nuetral and full ahead and full reverse. You may want to consider changing to the Proboat ESC. On some pistol style transmitters you can adjust where the "neutral" spot is by adjusting a screw on the back side (not the wheel side) of the transmitter. The throttle trim may be off a little too.
CG Bob is online now Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:01 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,350 Posts
I'm sure it's the same as my Bristol Bay... the ESC does not have as much reverse output as forward, and it's not even centered per the usual standard at 1.5 ms pulse width out of the receiver. The TX and RX are off center too, totally nonstandard, very little signal "travel" on the reverse side, nothing you can do about it with trims. I almost think mine got worse after a few uses. I gave up and converted the BB to a standard TX/RX ($40 am set, works just fine) and a Proboat ESC. Now reverse is fine.

BTW- the Proboat ESC really is biased towards full throttle (either direction); when it first engages off neutral, it's already running pretty fast, not so good for slow speed. Since I'm running 3:1 reduction in my BB, it's tolerable.
I'd recommend something else for scale boats... but I do like the waterproof, and the on/off switch. Having a switch on the ESC allows you to shut off everything without having to disconnect the battery.

Pat M
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:33 PM
Elroy68
n/a Posts
Aquacraft Atlantic tug owners

Jim Duda-- best of luck.
Last edited by Elroy68; Nov 27, 2005 at 08:24 AM. Reason: restructure of reply
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:38 PM
Elroy68
n/a Posts
Cg Bob, glad to see someone with knowledge!
Last edited by Elroy68; Nov 27, 2005 at 08:25 AM. Reason: sentencing
Old Nov 24, 2005, 05:40 PM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
Gotta have more reverse power...!

Elroy and all - I believe the radio that comes with the Aquacraft is a Futaba, with the Aquacraft name on it. It's very low end and I don't see any adjustment screw to adjust the FWD - REV throttle output. I'm switching out the pistol grip with a 2 stick HiTec to see what that gives me. Next step would be to replace the ESC with the Pro Boat model. Because of the undersize prop, slow speed is not a problem like it would be with a higher performance boat. And since it spends most of it's time pushing the rescue apparatus around, I'm usually at full throttle anyway.

I'll let everyone know if I can get this boat to perform in reverse...stay tuned!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:12 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,350 Posts
Jim-
I believe the ESC is "off center" as well as the radio... if you find the motor keeps running even when the new TX is trimmed all the way, that's what's up.

Pat M
Old Nov 25, 2005, 08:28 AM
Elroy68
n/a Posts
atlantic tug boat owners

I'll read and listen.
Last edited by Elroy68; Nov 25, 2005 at 01:26 PM. Reason: restating an issue
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:31 AM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
A larger prop would help...!

Elroy - are you sure the ESC that comes with this boat has LEDs? (The Pro Boat ESC doesn't have any!) I don't want to remove the shrink wrapped rubber boot that encapsulates it. I really prefer the two stick Tx with a non-center return spring loaded throttle so I don't have to constantly keep pressure on the throttle...although a spring loaded center return type is a "dead man throttle" of sorts. So, I'm gonna switch radios...

At this point, I'm inclined to agree with Pat in that there's not much you can do with the radio and ESC that comes with this RTR.

Does everyone agree a larger prop would be a definite improvement? See pic...
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:07 AM
Elroy68
n/a Posts
atlantic tug owners

Hope i didn't cause any problems, sorry! I'll re!ad
Last edited by Elroy68; Nov 25, 2005 at 01:29 PM. Reason: restating a statement
Old Nov 25, 2005, 12:47 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,350 Posts
Jim- the small prop will do fine for reverse, it just needs rpm's that it's not getting.
But read my Bristol Bay thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413023 to see about gutting the prop, shaft, and stuffing tube out of the boat, and installing new to mount a 45mm iirc prop with M4 threads (M4 can be cut easily onto a 5/32" shaft, which I get from MacMaster.com). I then run 3.3:1 reduction with a little Speed 400 on 7.2v, goes plenty fast enough either way.
Pat M
Old Nov 25, 2005, 01:46 PM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
Excellent Pat! The Atlantic should be much easier to perform surgery on because of all the room available once you remove the cabin...I'll wimp out for now and take the easy path, and simply replace the radio and ESC. But your mods explained in your article prove you could really take this tug to the next level performance wise, and still retain the original appearance if you so choose. I won't argue that for some it begs to be "weathered" for a more scale appearance; however, my wife thinks it's "cute" the way it is, and she loves to drive it, so...(wink)

I should get the new equipment this week, so perhaps next weekend I can give you a full report on how much difference it made...stay tuned!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 04:38 PM
afc
Massachusetts, USA
Joined Jun 2004
227 Posts
You can install a 45mm prop on the Atlantic. You will need to replace the existing shaft and stuffing box and shift shaft's exit hole through the hull up a bit to 'balance' the prop shaft half way between the hull and the rudder skeg. See the picture. With the modification (motor has been geared with a 1:3 gearbox), the boat has enough thrust to goes both ways.
afc is offline Find More Posts by afc