SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 28, 2002, 12:20 PM
United States, WI, Wausau
Joined May 2002
365 Posts
The T-Hawk 3CH RTF

HEY! i just baught the t-hawk and i want to know what people think of it from reading the page; http://store.yahoo.com/toytronix/thawk3chrtf.html
This is my second plane and i want to know what other people used as there second or even first plane.. anyway, thanks!
seanpr123 is offline Find More Posts by seanpr123
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2002, 03:57 PM
Southern Indiana
Joined Apr 2002
35 Posts
An excellent flyer - see my new post for question about adding a throttle! Loose the wheels and this thing flies GREAT! - but watch out for that prop, it will amputate!
emarkay is offline Find More Posts by emarkay
Old May 28, 2002, 04:21 PM
Redmond, WA
Joined Apr 2002
710 Posts
Have you guys tried it's smaller cousin - the E-Gull? If yes, how does it compare?
ElectriFan is offline Find More Posts by ElectriFan
Old May 28, 2002, 06:17 PM
Southern Indiana
Joined Apr 2002
35 Posts
T-Hawk vs. E-Gull

See post here for some E-Gull comments.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...885#post346885

I also discard the wheels, and trim a bit off the tail surfaces (less tendancy to weathervane in crosswinds), and adjust the v-tail not with the screws, but have added small 'trim tabs" of tape. At hi speeds they have LESS effect (due to airflow) and so I adjust for a perfect power OFF glide with them.

Those props break real easy, so make sure you have spares, and the tail boom is a bit more fragile than it needs to be, so I reinforced it with aluminum tape. Paint the underside of the wings with stripes or whatever, because at altitude it is hard to see if it is inverted or not!

A great value for under a hundred bucks and I have 2 of them! Love them.

The T-Hawk is more powerful, heaver and has NO THROTTLE (on/off only - BUT THERE IS A MOD FOR THAT....), but is infinitely more controlable due to the 2 axis control of rudder and elevator.

An also awesome flyer and worth every penny...

They compliment each other and while I think the E-Gull is actually more difficult to fly and a bit more unstable(relatively) than the T-Hawk, they are both great novice as well as expert planes.

MRK
Old May 28, 2002, 09:18 PM
Prop Bitten.....
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2002
29 Posts
I bought the T-Hawk as a way to get back into the hobby (after a six year retirement) I flew it last week for the first time. I have to admit that am very pleased with it. Even with my "rusty fingers", I have logged 12 flights; so far no major damage. I even blew a landing and flew it into a cinderblock wall - and I only managed to scrape the nose up. It is responsive and will even do a bit of thermalling. I might do the speed controller mod, but right now its perfect for some low stress lunch break flying.
emberstar is offline Find More Posts by emberstar
Old May 28, 2002, 10:19 PM
Edgewood, NM
Joined Jan 2002
1,038 Posts
Is the radio in a standard configuration, ie elevator & rudder on same stick?
zagisrule! is offline Find More Posts by zagisrule!
Old May 29, 2002, 11:13 AM
Prop Bitten.....
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2002
29 Posts
No, the provided control has the standard 2 channel set up, right stick for rudder, left for elevator, and a seperate on/off motor switch. It wasn't hard for me to get used to it, but I've flown a lot of 2 channel gliders using that set up. I got a nice e-mail from Rom Caroselli of Toytronix - he suggested replacing the receiver/speed control with a Hitec/JR/AirtronicsZ compatable one for full control and longer flight times. I'm not sure if I will convert since it's not a big deal to me as it is. Maybe in the future I will, since this is really a fun little plane to fly, and I can see keeping it for quite a while.
Old May 29, 2002, 11:34 AM
United States, WI, Wausau
Joined May 2002
365 Posts
excellent!

thanks alot guy, i cant wait to get it, it should be here today!
seanpr123 is offline Find More Posts by seanpr123
Old May 29, 2002, 02:45 PM
Southern Indiana
Joined Apr 2002
35 Posts
Here's an idea of the abuse it can take - powerline, than spin than crash. Some Elmer's wood glue and some book tape (thick clear) and a nail on to opposite side for balance and it's as good as new...
Old May 31, 2002, 06:04 PM
las cruces, NM, USA
Joined Jul 2001
7 Posts
T Hawk options

you can now order the T Hawk without transmitter, without receiver, or without both. I just got mine without either and mounted a JR 610M receiver for use with my JR 421 transmitter (5 ch) and now have proportional throttle as well as rudder and elevator control. Byron
bylou is offline Find More Posts by bylou
Old Jun 02, 2002, 04:12 AM
Joined Feb 2002
34 Posts
15 bucks cheaper ... lol !

I think I'm gonna pick one up ... but it cracks me up that they only knock off 15 bucks for the version without the transmitter and receiver. I guess the radio is cheap when bought in bulk ......

It should be a good replacement for my "knock around" e-plane ... a recently departed firebird II.

A few of questions for those that own one

(1) how roomy is it inside this thing ... can I fit a hitec 555 receiver? Or is it expecting something like a gws 4 series ...

(2) The ESC they provide ... is it proportional with my own trottle channel (from a JR radio/hitec receiver)?

(3) (most important). Once assembled, ... how hard is it to disassemble and fit back into that box? This plane would need to break back down ... so I can throw it in the car and have it bounce around a little ...

TIA!

Senor Crasher.
rc_crasher is offline Find More Posts by rc_crasher
Old Jun 02, 2002, 02:55 PM
las cruces, NM, USA
Joined Jul 2001
7 Posts
T Hawk

It's quite roomy inside--I had no problem at all putting my 610M receiver in.
With the 610 and JR 5 ch transmitter, I have full proportional throttle, rudder, and elevator control.
As for disassembly, the wing mounts with rubber bands, so no problem. Removing the tail assembly and pushrods would be something of a problem. I have a little pvc rack I made for the Firebird and the T Hawk fits in it perfectly and makes for nice portability and transport.
Flew mine for the first time yesterday and I'm really impressed with it--moved the pushrod for the rudder to the innermost hole for a little better response in turns. Oh, and one other thing, the ESC in it does not appear to have BEC, but that should pose no problem.
I think this airplane is far superior to the Firebird XL, or the Wingo. Byron
bylou is offline Find More Posts by bylou
Old Jun 02, 2002, 10:20 PM
Prop Bitten.....
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2002
29 Posts
I've logged 21 flights on mine - right now it's my favorite thing to fly. I still haven't changed the tx/rx - all my better stuff is in my other planes. I use the landing gear, since I have a paved area at work to fly from, and it ROGs nicely. I did have to change over to the spare tail parts - but not due to any flying mishap. I left it in the back seat of my car Saturday and the high 90 degree temps we had here melted and warped the original parts! Geeze -gotta get used to this light foam!
Old Jul 07, 2002, 04:52 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Feb 2002
21 Posts
T-Hawk

Hey emberstar,
I'm also in raleigh NC & just got a T-Hawk which I've flown successfully - no crashes - about 25 times.
Where do you fly?
Jim
flyjim2002 is offline Find More Posts by flyjim2002
Old Jul 07, 2002, 07:58 PM
Yukon, OK
Joined Apr 2002
267 Posts
(Crossing fingers)

Based on your (and others) comments (and a LOT of research on various planes) I just ordered a T-Hawk. Being totally new to RC I think, for me, this will be a great plane to learn on.

I'll let you know how it goes... but that's another thread.

Goofup
goofup is offline Find More Posts by goofup