HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2005, 12:52 PM
North Olmsted, Ohio
Joined May 2005
57 Posts
PZ P-51? Easier or harder the gws corsair?

I haven't been flying for the past 2-3 months because school started. I got a Parkzone P-51 for my birthday and I was wondering if it is easier or harder to fly then my Gws corsair (BP-21)? I crashed my corsair because the pushrod flexed too much during a dive. Should I repair it and fly it a few times before flying the P-51? Or should I just fly the P-51 now and repair later?

Thanks for any help.
pilot89 is offline Find More Posts by pilot89
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2005, 01:12 PM
Full Throttle and No Regrets!
Denville, New Jersey
Joined Jun 2004
614 Posts
sounds like you have the low wing aileron experience you need to fly the mustang should be ok for you to fly although maybe you should repair the corsair first light the skys up with it to get your fingers back into the groove and then give the PZ an attempt at the wild blue yonder. Good luck....
MeBluEyz99 is offline Find More Posts by MeBluEyz99
Old Nov 23, 2005, 01:32 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
The PZ P-51 will be quite a bit slower than your corsair. It also takes a bit more to launch than the corsair does. With the BP-21 you can pretty much just let it fly out of your hand. Not the case with the P-51 you really need to give it a good throw to get it up to speed. After that they fly very similarly if you kept the throws on the corsair where the manual recommends. I have both and I love flying both of them. Even though the P-51 is slower it just really stands out in the air.

Here's some good info for you to look at before you go out to the field.

Here's a few videos and a link to help you out:

Sometimes it helps to know how to launch the plane...

The P-51 is very capable with the stock setup...

And sometimes it helps to do a good preflight check of the plane...

And for comparison here is my GWS Corsair on a BP-12
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Nov 23, 2005, 02:14 PM
North Olmsted, Ohio
Joined May 2005
57 Posts
Thanks for the help. I guess I'll repair the corsair then fly the P-51. Is the Parkzone P-51 less twitchy then the corsair?
pilot89 is offline Find More Posts by pilot89
Old Nov 23, 2005, 03:42 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
Hmm.. I don't find either particularly twitchy. I fly both of mine on high rates and I would classify my corsair as "on rails" and my P-51 as near that. Only reason the P-51 is more difficult is because it does not have the "extra" power. It has plenty of power to fly very well but it has no emergency power so to speak.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Nov 23, 2005, 07:52 PM
Herndon, VA
Joined Jan 2004
98 Posts
Hi Lostsoul,

Sorry, off topic. I just saw that you are in Ashburn. I live in Chantilly. Where do you fly? Are you interested in flying together?

Mark
Aviation is offline Find More Posts by Aviation
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:50 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
I second Lostsoul's comments. I have both and neither is that hard to fly but like he said just give the Mustang a good toss on launch. I don't find it twitchy at all. I do find myself flying close to full throttle most of the flight with a 3s lipo. Landings are about the same just fly it to the ground and flare about 6 inches off the ground and you'll be good.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member