SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 23, 2005, 01:47 PM
Joined Aug 2004
40 Posts
Lead Acid (Pb) Charger Needed to Charge Pb

I'm into RC planes, but have an RV with a 12 volt battery which needs to be charged during the winter. I have another spare 12v deep cycle to charge from which I can take home and charge back up. I have a generator, but it takes hours of running to perform the charging task, meanwhile I'm sitting at a storage shed waiting for eternity. I'm pretty sure that the Schulze and Orbit could do the job. Are there any other chargers that would charge a 12v lead acid from a 12 v lead acid?
seidstep is offline Find More Posts by seidstep
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2005, 02:12 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Triton

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 23, 2005, 02:18 PM
Joined Aug 2004
40 Posts
Thanks

I had forgotten that one. Was hoping the ICE did, but can't find it in their specs.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 05:52 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Orbit Microlader will do it.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Nov 28, 2005, 01:33 PM
Joined Aug 2004
40 Posts
Any Other Way?

I suppose I could do this with an inverter and a regular battery charger. Any idea of what size I would need for say a 2 amp charge?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 05:54 PM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just swap the two batteries instead of charging one from the other?

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Nov 28, 2005, 08:03 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
For some reason he wants / needs to charge an RV battery without AC without running a power plant or the RV. Jumper cables from a car, truck SUV etc. should do the trick if the battery is toped off regualrly. If it were mine I would just remove it for the winter and keep it on a battery minder.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:27 AM
Joined Aug 2004
40 Posts
Reasons

If I don't leave it in I can't start the generator which most places will tell you should be run once a month and put under a load even then. I suppose I could have taken it out and then used jumper cables from the battery up to the supply cables, but didn't. No way to get the battery out now. The storage wall is right on the battery door, so I can't get it all the way open.

I wouldn't consider this option if I weren't going to use the charger for my hobby as well.