HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2005, 09:19 AM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Oct 2005
702 Posts
AMD SU-35 Flanker Twin EDF

I don't know what's worse the exposed fans or the oversized wings, all glass factory painted. Looks better from the underside. Add some hatches over those fans unless they are needed as cheater holes, and it may look a little better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-SU-35-Super-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.amdhobby.com/product_info...roducts_id=597
mode101 is offline Find More Posts by mode101
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:34 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,929 Posts
That plane's been around a while, originally a slope glider kit, read it didn't fly worth a darn, not sure why. The fans look oversized, notice the bulge in the nacelles on the bottom. Those look like that new fan, I forget the name, similar to wattage. Wemotec Microfans would have been a better choice for the small nacelle, they are only 2" in diameter, but I guess they haven't been "chinese cloned" yet! As for fan placement, that's too far forward, with batteries in the nose it will be nose heavy big time. Maybe they place the batteries between the fans but I don't see where there'd be room. It's not a very refined design, and if they moded the slope glider plug and made new molds they should have just started over with the design. Maybe the guy who designed it has no edf experience, that'd be my bet, lots of rookie mistakes.

Sorry to be harsh but just calling it like a see it. If you want to give it a go, go ahead, it could be made to fly but may be a challenge. I haven't built one so I can't say for sure. I'd rather spend the money on a SavageLight SU-27 kit, I know that flys, I just saw one last weekend in Arizona!
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:51 AM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Oct 2005
702 Posts
I was just wondering, seeing many Chinese ARF's on Ebay lately, don't know how good they are. I posted a link on the other AMD product the BAE Hawk, supposedly the one JHH sold, but there is a couple different versions, one is all foam and split down the centerline other is glass and the smaller electric I posted. They also have a foam SU-27.

But this one doesn't look too great and like you said not well designed more of an afterthought. I imagine the directions to these planes are so so, probably no CG listed either?
mode101 is offline Find More Posts by mode101